Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 21, 2009, 4:01 PM   #41

i'm with ed on this.. a k20d for 1/4 the price new..
i've been very happy with my DS but it's time for an upgrade..
PM me with offers for a k20 or roysphoto @ gmail. com
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 12:20 AM   #42

I was just glancing at the K7 and it dawned on me that there is no provision for an external wired shutter release (at least inside the left hand door on the camera). I am wondering if they placed it some where else (right hand side door). I am sure that they did not eliminate it, just going for the 3 second mirror delay - since I like the wired release, so I will not shake the camera accidentally.....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 1:04 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
I was just glancing at the K7 and it dawned on me that there is no provision for an external wired shutter release (at least inside the left hand door on the camera). I am wondering if they placed it some where else (right hand side door). I am sure that they did not eliminate it, just going for the 3 second mirror delay - since I like the wired release, so I will not shake the camera accidentally.....
The K-7 does have a shutter release port. In fact, it has its own door below the SD card slot, as shown in the photo.

- Jason
Attached Images

Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 9:50 AM   #44

if you look at the right side by the strap eyelet, you will see a circle with a line thru it , like on old film bodys that indicated the film plane line,cant understand why they put this on

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 10:40 AM   #45

This is Deja vu all over again. For all of you old enough the K1000 was probably the largest selling 35mm SLR of all time. The used ones still sell for $200 at KEH. The reason being that it took great photos. The evolution to the LX and Pz1P added features and upgrades that most people probably did not use. I cannot imagine using or understanding all the features that this camera offers. I have the ist DS, the K10D, and last week bought a K20D because of the price reduction. If I can't take the shots I want with these three bodies I should take up golf. Besides if I bought the K7 I would be in divorce court.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 11:53 AM   #46

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

So what's the rationale behind the model naming system. First we had the *isT series which was replaced by the K100D/K200D's (all consumer level). The K10D/K20D identified the bodies as Prosumer level. I guess the K2000 (often confused for the K200) appears to be a P&S step-up DSLR which makes sense. Now we have the K7 (no D). At the same time, the K7 does not appear to be a pro camera liket the N**D1 or the C**D5 etc. So here are some questions:
1. Will there be a continuation of the K100D/K200D (Consumer) series which may produce a K300D? Same for K10/K20D (Prosumer)? i.e. will we see a K30D?
2. What is the significance of the K7? Why not the K1? And what happened to the "D" designation?
I must admit that from a marketing and brand/model identification standpoint, I am confused. Not what I learned in Business School!!

Last edited by Wingman; May 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 12:11 PM   #47

Jelpee - my take is it's intentional. Pentax wants this to be considered a 'new beast' in it's own class. Dropping the D makes sense at this point - are they making any film SLRs anymore? On spec, this is a replacement for the K20d. But I think Pentax wants to tout this as their flagship - if they use the KxxD designation there is a connotation that "oh it's another Pentax xxD - not as good as the top of the line Canon & Nikon offerings". By giving it a unique convention, people won't attach any connotations they have about the Pentax xxD line. That would be my guess from a marketing standpoint why they would do it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 3:55 AM   #48

Oh boy here we go again i gotta have one it looks like it's going to be a winner
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 8:01 AM   #49

Well, although it looks great. And, the one thing that held me back from going dSLR years ago was wanting video and all in one camera (sorry guys, I just really like having video available in case), I'm going to stick with my new K20. I still have lots to learn about it and it's a wonderful camera.

I'll watch to see what people think once they start buying them.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 9:33 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Well, although it looks great. And, the one thing that held me back from going dSLR years ago was wanting video and all in one camera (sorry guys, I just really like having video available in case), I'm going to stick with my new K20. I still have lots to learn about it and it's a wonderful camera.

I'll watch to see what people think once they start buying them.

Patty
that worries me the most.
when it is released, i will be only be hearing sweet things about it, then i will get a bit jealous and buy one. and as usual , by the time i buy one, Pentax will release a new model, and then i will only be reading how terible the K7 is its a no win situation

personally, i do like what i have seen so far. it reminds me of back in '97 , when i read about the K10D

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote