Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 23, 2009, 9:16 AM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
I think there is a definitely an attempt to position the K-7 as a direct competitor to the D300.
I don't think so. It's positioned somewhat in between a Nikon D90 and D300. You usually see a model like the K20D compared to the Nikon D80 or D90 in reviews. Keep in mind that the D300 is a more expensive model.

The new K-7 has better weather sealing compared to a D90, a slightly faster frame rate compared to the D90's 4.5fps, and some unique features that should help it stand out as a good value in comparison.

But, a model like the D300 has a more sophisticated 51 point AF system that takes subject color into consideration when tracking, combined with a pro level shutter and mirror design that allows faster frame rates (8fps when using the battery grip), making it more suitable for sports shooters. A faster shutter and mirror design also reduces blackout time between frames, allowing both the shooter and the camera's AF sensors to "see' better for tracking action.

Of course, the number of AF points isn't everything, as the camera's internal processing has to be fast enough to interpret that information with algorithms that are good enough to accurately predict subject speed and direction. Nikon did get some medicocre reviews of the D300's AF system when 51 points were used. But, they eventually released a firmware upgrade to improve AF

Also, keep in mind that the D300 is closing in on two years since it's launch in August 2007, and I wouldn't expect the competition to be "sitting still".

The same thing would apply to models from other manufacturers like Sony (as the A700 was launched in Sept. 2007 when I got mine). I wouldn't expect them to be sitting still versus working on replacement models designed to be more competitive compared to other models in that price bracket.

The trend seems to be to try and position models so that they're not direct competitors to another manufacturer's camera and end up in a niche all of their own with some unique features that helps them to stand out.

Pentax looks like it did a great job at that with the new K-7, with higher resolution compared to some of it's competitors, stabilization for every lens, faster frame rate compared to previous models, better weather sealing compared to many models in it's price range; and of course, HD Video, which seems to be growing in popularity.

We tend to see manufacturer's "leap frog" each other with many new models. We'll just have to sit back and enjoy the ride and see what transpires as time passes. But, from all outward indications, Pentax is on the right track with the improvements in the K-7.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 12:38 PM   #52

There hasn't been much said about this feature (from the Pentax web site):

Quote:
Lens Correction function
A Lens Correction function adjusts for Distortion and Lateral Chromatic Aberrations, allowing you to maximize your image quality for every digital lens.*

* Compatible with D FA, DA, DA Limited and DA Star lenses. Distortion correction is not applied to the DA 10-17mm Fisheye lens.
This should bring new life to the existing kit lenses, if it works out as they say. I wonder if this is limited by some electronic provision to the D series Pentax lenses, or whether it will work with other brands' digital autofocus lenses as well.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 3:24 PM   #53

I think at this point the Pentax K7's position on the marketplace is pure conjecture.

The camera was just introduced a couple of days ago.

Very few have actually seen one or handled one. I have seen no pictures produced or test results as of yet.

However ...what I do see in the discussion forums are 'armchair' assessments from Nikon and Canon owners, that seem slightly dismissive of the new K7.

Could it be a defensive response given the features and ruggedness this new Pentax packs ?

What I'm saying is that if one has not seen, handled, read much more than a PR introductory statement on a new machine...how can one make pronouncements on where it fits in the marketplace...especially given that some pronouncements, run counter to the very few who have actually seen and tried out the new machine ?

One credible source... DP has actually handled a new K7...yes...they haven't had time to give the K7 a full wring out...that will come, but their initial estimation
is that the K-7 and the Nikon D300 are competitors in that the specs of both cameras are very close.

At this point who would I think has a more accurate assessment of this new camera ? Those who haven't seen one or handled a K7, or DP who have actually have seen handled and used a K7 and are actually in the business of doing camera equipment assessments?

The answer is clear.

Last edited by lesmore49; May 23, 2009 at 3:49 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 4:10 PM   #54
Administrator

It may be a super camera. I just don't see it as being positioned directly against the D300, because the specifications are too different. You don't have to handle the K-7 to see that it doesn't have the same specifications in the AF and burst speed areas that you see in the D300 (which has up to 8 frames per second burst speed with the battery grip and a 51 Point AF System, as compared to 5.2 frames per second with the K-7 which is using an 11 Point AF System). ;-)

I think Pentax is probably trying to position it in a niche by itself, versus positioning it directly against another manufacturer's model. If it tests as well as it looks on paper, Pentax will probably have a winner, with better performance compared to previous models like the K20D, and better weather sealing compared to most other models in it's price bracket. It's higher resolution sensor would also be a plus to many shooters (especially when combined with some of the nicer Pentax glass that's available). Depending on what you want to shoot, it may be a better choice compared to the D300. BTW, I don't own a Nikon dSLR. ;-) I'm just making some observations on where I see it positioned based on it's specs.
Old May 23, 2009, 6:13 PM   #55
Administrator

P.S.

I shoot with a Sony A700, and I wouldn't trade my Sony A700 for a Nikon D300, despite the D300's better specs in some areas. For one thing, I like it that all of my lenses are stabilized, thanks to the in body stabilization system in my A700 (which is a feature Pentax models like the K-7 also have).

I'm also quite pleased with the A700's 11 Point AF system. Even though it falls short "on paper" compared to the D300's 51 Point AF System, it's very responsive. Also, I could care less about having an 8fps burst mode. I eat up enough disk space when I use 5fps (which isn't very often).

For me, the A700 is a better choice, just like the K-7 may be a better choice for many of you. It looks like it's going to be a very nice camera from what I can see of it's specs, with more features compared to a model like my A700.

But, for someone shooting sports for a living, I think they're probably going to look at a model like the D300 first, looking at differences in features like burst rate and focus points (which you can see in it's specs). IOW, I really don't see the new Pentax K-7 as being a direct competitor to the D300 in that market niche. That's just my personal opinion on it (not that of Steve's), and I didn't intend to "ruffle any feathers" over where I thought it was positioned in the market. ;-)

Any camera model is going to have pros and cons.
Old May 23, 2009, 6:32 PM   #56

Penolta - I noticed that. The release specifies DFA and DA series lenses - it doesn't look like the feature will be available for FA lenses. It will be nice to have something in-camera that will adjust for the CA that the DA 12-24 has on occasion.

The other feature I immediately picked up on, but haven't seen mentioned, is the mode lock. As long as its easy to manipulate (since I change modes often) it will be one of the features I'm really looking forward to. I can't tell you how often I've accidently moved it to something unintended when I've been taking the camera out of the bag.

Jim - I think you are right. Pentax won't want to go head-to-head against any other camera manufacturer, they would lose, especially against Nikon and Canon (they hold their own against Sony at the moment, though the A700 does seem like a lovely camera). So it makes more sense for them to offer more than the new D90 with a similar price, but not try to take on the D300 or the rumored D400. I don't think that's a bad thing at all - I can neither afford such a camera nor handle one that heavy. Different strokes for different folks, and that's a positive.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 8:21 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
I think at this point the Pentax K7's position on the marketplace is pure conjecture.

The camera was just introduced a couple of days ago.

Very few have actually seen one or handled one. I have seen no pictures produced or test results as of yet.

However ...what I do see in the discussion forums are 'armchair' assessments from Nikon and Canon owners, that seem slightly dismissive of the new K7.

Could it be a defensive response given the features and ruggedness this new Pentax packs ?

What I'm saying is that if one has not seen, handled, read much more than a PR introductory statement on a new machine...how can one make pronouncements on where it fits in the marketplace...especially given that some pronouncements, run counter to the very few who have actually seen and tried out the new machine ?

One credible source... DP has actually handled a new K7...yes...they haven't had time to give the K7 a full wring out...that will come, but their initial estimation is that the K-7 and the Nikon D300 are competitors in that the specs of both cameras are very close.

At this point who would I think has a more accurate assessment of this new camera ? Those who haven't seen one or handled a K7, or DP who have actually have seen handled and used a K7 and are actually in the business of doing camera equipment assessments?

The answer is clear.
Here are all the specs ,photos and videos:
http://pentaxk-7.blogspot.com/

Last edited by jogiba; May 23, 2009 at 8:36 PM.
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 9:22 PM   #58

Default The wait is over . . .

Well,

I'm really excited about this camera.

This is the Pentax that I've been waiting for.

Pentax has finally made my upgrade path very clear and simple.

After reading everything out there so far about the K7, I personally find that all my pet peeves about the Pentax platform have disappeared.

I'll have to try out the camera, but I'm pretty sure that this is the camera I'm saving up for. And if it delivers what it is promising, I'm going to add this camera to the list of cameras that I tell friends that they should consider.

1) Auto-focus assist light. Since I have another camera that has this feature, I know I'll really appreciate this finally on a Pentax body. For me, it means that I can use cheap lenses (or super zooms) in low-light situations (such as indoors at night in poorly lit rooms) to capture the fleeting moments of kids running in and out of the view finder.

2) 5.2 Frames per second (up to ~14 RAW images). Again. Instead of taking 2 shots and then waiting and waiting for the camera to be ready for more shots while my daughter runs away, I'll be able to snap off more pictures & hopefully get a keeper. <grin>

3) Better auto-white balance. Hopefully this means less having to tweak the shots after the fact to get the white balance you want. (This was one of the reasons I haven't suggested Pentax to my sister. I didn't want to put her through this torture. I'll have to see if the K7 is in her budget.)

4) And the built-in video. You know, I have a miniDV video camera, that I don't think I've used in the past 5 years? I never think to take it anywhere, so all our video snippets are from our 4 megapixel point-and-shoot. And they are really bad quality. Since I'm used to carrying my dSLR around, I'll definately find myself taking more video snippets of my daughters.

5) And since I'm still on a K100D, for me, the upgrade to all those direct-access buttons and levers, and two command dials is going to be a real treat. And the less noise at higher ISO is going to be sweet.

To me, these are the real world features that I find I want and would really appreciate. And it looks like the K7 is taking a giant step in the right direction.

That's my 2 cents.

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

Last edited by tacticdesigns; May 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 10:41 PM   #59

Watch this official Pentax USA introductory video (from the link provided by jogiba) and then see if you still think that you really don't need/want this camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCHdsZI88g
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 12:36 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Watch this official Pentax USA introductory video (from the link provided by jogiba) and then see if you still think that you really don't need/want this camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCHdsZI88g

Penolta, thanks for posting this video. I think it would be wise for those who are making assessments on what this camera can or can't do, to view this video first....before dismissing the K7 too lightly.

I am impressed listening to the presenter discuss the many features of this camera .

Two features in particular, are the functions designed into the K7 that allow it to fast focus in dim light and it's what appears to be remarkable ability to meter.I know this has been an issue with some...but it seems to be addressed, according to the presentation.

As the old saying goes..." I'm from Missouri.." when it comes to believing all I hear or read. But if the Pentax K7 functions as well as this presentation indicates it will...then this will be a fabulous camera that has few peers in , or anywhere near it's price point.

As the presenter indicates this is a camera for the advanced enthusiast.

We need to remember that there are very few actual professional cameras out there and the very few that are out there, sell for thousands (dollars) more then the K7.

But as Pentax says and I'm paraphrasing ( my memory for the 'exact' is not what it used to be)...the K7 brings features that only professional cameras may have, to an advanced enthusiast machine.

Last edited by lesmore49; May 24, 2009 at 12:45 AM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote