Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2009, 10:19 AM   #61

Looking at the specs, I think that it will be unfair to pitch it against the D300.

The D300 will still outclass it in nearly every way

Until Pentax change their autofocus to be quicker, sharper, more accurate AND include predictive autofocus there will be no comparison.

Also, why does the frame rate not increase when adding the battery grip?

The only thing stopping a body change is the money - still now the D300 is out of production, maybe the prices will slip a bit and I can get one next year.

Dal

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 11:25 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal1970 View Post
Looking at the specs, I think that it will be unfair to pitch it against the D300.

The D300 will still outclass it in nearly every way What do you base that opinion..the camera just came out a couple of days ago ?

Until Pentax change their autofocus to be quicker, sharper, more accurate AND include predictive autofocus there will be no comparison.

The only thing stopping a body change is the money - still now the D300 is out of production, maybe the prices will slip a bit and I can get one next year.

Dal
Watch the Pentax video to see how the autofocus has been addressed.

Last edited by lesmore49; May 24, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 2:50 PM   #63

A couple years back, there was a thread going on the general questions forum about what people wanted in a new camera model. The K-7 includes a lot of the features that I had asked for, including the in-camera HDR, sync socket, AF assist light, etc. Yay!
Now, if only I could afford one.
Perhaps I coud get a camera for my wife. (in trade, of course-)

Seriously, though, this looks on paper, like an excellent camera. If only they had implemented it without the mirror box and made a really good EVIL camera with the capabilities of this one, I would even go so far as to sell a gun or two.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 12:19 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal1970 View Post

The D300 will still outclass it in nearly every way

Dal
Is the D300 water resistant ? Does it have HD video mode ? Does it have HDR mode ? Is it as compact as the K-7 ? The K-7 will make people forget about the D300 when it comes out.
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 4:57 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Is the D300 water resistant ? Does it have HD video mode ? Does it have HDR mode ? Is it as compact as the K-7 ? The K-7 will make people forget about the D300 when it comes out.
Hi jogiba,

I agree with Dal that D300 outspecs the K-7, and I'll assume that a D400(?) would also, and possibly by a larger margin. . .

. . . but I think that Pentax has done something here that is different from just offering a (more or less) direct competitor for the D300. If I were a high end CanNikSon shooter, with the best glass and such, I'd be looking at the K-7 with either the DA* 16-50 and DA*50-135 or a set of three DA or FA Ltds as a not-incredibly-expensive, but very capable and compact carry-around system. I'd not want to lug (or risk) the big "pro" gear around for a day with the family, vacations, street shooting, or even events . . . and either K-7 kit could be assembled for less than a 1DMkII, 5DMkII, D3(x), or D700 body -- and it would have stabilization for all the FLs and be fully WR in the case of the DA* zoom combo (I don't believe that many, if any wide to short tele lenses are even available in IS or VR). Add HD video if that's a consideration. It would be hard to beat.

As a Pentaxian, I'd use the K-7 as my main body for the speed advantage in focusing and other response parameters, with hopefully a noticeable advantage in IQ at high ISO. My K20 would be my main backup/2nd body. I'm sure that a lot of Pentax system shooters will be purchasing it for their own reasons. I just hope that AF speed and accuracy are significantly improved with screw drive lenses. . . since all of my fast glass is screw drive with the exception of the DA* 50-135.

I think that the K-7 will be attractive to a wide range of advanced shooters, and they really don't have to "jump ship" to take advantage of what can offer.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 8:01 PM   #66

well i just ordered the k20 for 1/2 the original price.. i'm with ed here.. because the price will come down but i opted for the 3year warranty at buydig..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 2:23 PM   #67

Well all of my lenses are K-mount or 6x7 Pentax mount and I have the K-mount adapter so I don't care if the Nikon D300 comes with a 30mp FF sensor I would not switch . The K-7 will be a great upgrade for my *ist DS2 DSLR. I don't care to pay a premium for anything faster than 5.2 fps and the AF is much improved over the K20D.
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 2:35 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Well all of my lenses are K-mount or 6x7 Pentax mount and I have the K-mount adapter so I don't care if the Nikon D300 comes with a 30mp FF sensor I would not switch . The K-7 will be a great upgrade for my *ist DS2 DSLR. I don't care to pay a premium for anything faster than 5.2 fps and the AF is much improved over the K20D.
Jogiba - I don't think anyone is arguing the K-7, if it performs as advertised, isn't a great upgrade for people who already own Pentax and are interested in focus and iso improvements. For them, it is irrelevant what camera people say the K-7 competes with.

Where it becomes relevant is people looking to get into a DSLR or looking to potentially switch systems. Then it's highly relevant - especially when the K-7 is the top of the food chain. Many serious enthusiasts are willing to spend good coin on a body if it brings results. Sales of the Nikon D300 and Canon 50D bear this out. Beyond that, sales of the Nikon D700 and Canon 5dmkII show there's a significant market for pro-sumer full-frame bodies. From a pure business standpoint, I think it's important that Pentax establish itself as legit competition for the top 2 mid-range offerings. Those happen to be the Nikon D300 and Canon 50D.

With Sony making inroads at both prosumer (A700, A900) and entry level markets that really puts a pinch on Pentax. In recent years both Nikon and Canon have also begun to offer inexpensive entry level models to compete on price. So, Pentax needs something to draw them new business. The K-7 could do that IF people outside Pentax consider it a viable alternative to the D300, 50D and whatever Sony replaces the A-700 with (presumed announcement within a month or two). The real damage to Pentax could be if Sony's A-700 replacement upstages it.

This is not a put-down on Pentax at all. simply the real-world market. But that's why, IMO, it's important how non Pentax users think of this camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 3:26 PM   #69

To add to the point JohnG made - Sunday I went over to a really nice camera store in another town. They carry some top quality tripods and have "Pentax" on their window, along with a number of other camera manufacturers. I went in hoping that they might have the DA*200 f2.8 and DA*300 in stock, so I could get a better idea if I could put up with their higher weight and size. They only had one new Pentax lens and a couple of used K-mount lenses. They said that Pentax just doesn't sell well in that particular town. So while the Pentax cameras have been well reviewed, and offer as much or more than other cameras for the same price, it won't matter if people don't buy them.

Pentax has to make inroads with people buying their first dSLR cameras. They have to overcome the idea that the only two camera manufacturers are Nikon and Canon (how many times have I seen posts from people saying they are buying their first dSLR camera and have narrowed it down to the D40 or 60 and the XS. When I ask hikers why they ruled out Pentax, they often come back with the fact they didn't know anything about them).

It also surprises me how many p&s people moving up to dSLR cameras say they want to buy a 5D or D300, even though they don't know anything about what features they might want. So I think Pentax not only needs to make the K-7 an outstanding camera, they also need to have something that will hook new buyers. The weather sealed kit lenses to go with the weather sealed camera is a very good start. I hope that it, plus the more sports-oriented specs will get more people to consider Pentax.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 3:56 PM   #70

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

And what about marketing? Nikon and Canon promotions & advertisements are quite prevalent in print and television. Even in Pop. Photog, Pentax I don't recall seeing anything from Pentax in the last year. No major sponsorships of any kind either. If they do not promote the K-7 and the rest of their line-up and get expert users to start endorsing them, they will continue to yield ground to those who do...and will be destined to remain a fringe brand for folks like us.

As has been stated above, it would not matter if the K-7 is everthing that it is spec'd out to be if no one is willing to consider it as an alternative to the D300 or the 50D. No sales=no revenue=less money for R&D=poor products=poor sales......
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote