Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 22, 2009, 4:02 PM   #1

Default Butterfly, Birds & Blooms

Just a few recent shots from here near home. First is my good friend Vole's favorite butterfly - the Great Spangled Fritillary (just now emerging & arriving here):
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2009, 4:03 PM   #2

I'm not much of a hand with bird photography - neither the right lens nor the right patience and skill! But here's a young'un who was close and not shy (baby robin recently off the nest):
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2009, 4:04 PM   #3

Our Spotted Sandpipers are very shy - this is a much cropped photo after about 20 minutes (the limit of my patience) of waiting:
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2009, 4:06 PM   #4

Still LOTS of blooms in our area. Here are some Sulphury Cinquefoils and Bristly Locusts:
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2009, 4:07 PM   #5

And the damp weather has been great for a wide range of fungi:
(Please share your suggestions for improving any or all of these. Thanks!)
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2009, 9:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
I'm not much of a hand with bird photography - neither the right lens nor the right patience and skill! But here's a young'un who was close and not shy (baby robin recently off the nest):
Well Mole, if you keep this up you'll be a top notch birder before you know it. Great shot!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 9:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Still LOTS of blooms in our area. Here are some Sulphury Cinquefoils and Bristly Locusts:

I thought this was a good shot but, need a little brightening up, hope you don't mind. since I don't know how its supposed to look, I may have over done it a little, hope you like it.

Hmmm... something changed my monitor settings and I can't seem to get them back like they were, somebody please let me know how this edit looks on your monitor.

Last edited by Goldwinger; May 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I thought this was a good shot but, need a little brightening up, hope you don't mind. since I don't know how its supposed to look, I may have over done it a little, hope you like it.

Hmmm... something changed my monitor settings and I can't seem to get them back like they were, somebody please let me know how this edit looks on your monitor.

It could have used a little brightening, GW, but yours is too much, even with my monitor brightness turned down.

Otherwise, the pictures are fine as they are, Mole - you live in a rich environment for nature photography.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 10:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
It could have used a little brightening, GW, but yours is too much, even with my monitor brightness turned down.

Otherwise, the pictures are fine as they are, Mole - you live in a rich environment for nature photography.
Thank Pen,
that's what I was afraid of. After I edited and posted, I realized that other photos that looked good before, now looked to dark, and if I brighten my monitor to make them look right... the yellow flowers ai just did looked over done. seems my computer has a mind of its own and keeps changing things!

Old May 22, 2009, 10:49 PM   #10

There's a number of things that affect what you see in your monitor - first, it could be the background around the picture. If you use a black background your picture will look brighter than it probably should. So for editing photos it's better to use a neutral grey background. Another problem is your room lighting - I notice that my pictures look different (either brighter or darker) as the sun goes down and I look at them using incandescent light. It's not always the computer changing things. And I do find it frustrating sometimes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote