Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 22, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1

Default DOF Extended and Flower Question

Ronny brought up a question in another thread about how many pictures you can use in CS4's DOF extension feature. I don't know what the maximum is, or if there is a maximum. However, I was playing with it tonight and had no trouble using 6 frames (the most I had taken for that set).

Dandelions are such fun to photograph.

I didn't use the flash for these two (the second one was the one I used 6 frames for), I used the gold side of the reflector for extra lighting, along with a tripod.

This one I tried to use the silver side of the reflector, but it wasn't as effective. I was outside at noon, with filtered light shining through trees - I guess I missed the right angle (I have trouble figuring that out). I thought the vinyl was better than the cement I was sitting on for a background.

For the flower question - I posted this a while ago in the close-up category but didn't get any feedback. I want to know what's so bad about it. I know that the DOF is awkward - it's not small enough to contribute to the composition, but not big enough to have all of the petals in focus. But I like the color and thought it looked nice. Other than the DOF being awkward, what else is wrong with it?

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2009, 7:57 AM   #2

The dandelion and purple flower are nice. If you are asking about the last one, my opinion is, it's not enough to tell what it is to be intrigued by it. It's almost like a mystery photo.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 1:29 PM   #3

Hey Harriet,
I love what you accomplished with the Dandelions! I'm going to have to try that.

regarding the last pic... I saw it in the other post and didn't comment on it because there is a lot I don't know or understand about art and photography and didn't want to say anything negative about a photo that might have merit I'm unaware of. T
hat and the fact that I've visited your Zenfoilio site and know that you out class me as a photographer by a long way! So I suppose I feel unqualifided to judge it. That said, I'll go ahead and say, it just didn't do anything for me. Its interesting to see the veins in the pettals and the way you used the lighting and all but, I thought it looked more like something I'd see in a science book. (perhaps a new field to explore?)
anyway, that's how I saw it.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 2:20 PM   #4

Great shots Harriet,

The dandelions looks magnificent. First one being my favorite.
The 3rd shot, real sharp only doesn't look as great as the dandelion (imho)
The last shot ..., I must admit that I saw it in the close up section, but it gives me a mixed feeling. It looks for me more like lungs than a plant, and ... it's not a favorite for me. (sorry )

For using photoshop I'm sure now that 4 frames is the max I can blend in photoshop cs4, pc with 3gb ram.
I'm getting a macbook in 2 weeks to play around with from work. Official reason is testing compatibilities of some web-based programs we use at work. Adobe cs4 will be preinstalled.
Maybe I'll convert (at home, work is purely windows based)

Again great shots

Ronny
Old May 23, 2009, 6:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the feedback about the last one, I appreciate it. So from everyone's responses, it's not a good abstract (what I was more or less aiming for), the soft pink color isn't enough to redeem it, either. I've been having trouble with pp some of my pictures - they've been looking too harsh and this one definitely isn't harsh. I thought I was on a better track with it, and from a pp point of view, I am. However, the picture itself is one of those "almost" pictures - a nice idea but one that didn't work (I've taken tons of those!). The blossom is from a common ornamental shrub, I just liked the veins and the color.

Thanks for the feedback on it.
Old May 24, 2009, 7:47 PM   #6

Definitely not in your class with photography, but might suggest even closer cropping with the last one, to crop out the major vein in the lower right, leaving a more delicate vein pattern. Just a thought. And I do love the dandelions!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 12:09 AM   #7

I think I'll leave the last one alone - I tried cropping both this one and a couple of other ones I took at the same time. The vein pattern is too random to get an interesting, simple geometric design out of it, no matter how I crop it.

I'm glad everyone has enjoyed the dandelions, I was really pleased with how they came out.
Old May 31, 2009, 2:07 PM   #8

Hello
My forst time posting in a long time If I were to find anything wrong with the last one it is the fact that my eyes are drawn to the stem at the lower right then if I follow the stem it takes me out of the oicture before I can even get into it when I try to ignore it and study the rest of the picture I get distracted by the stem again which takes be back out of the picture if you could find away to use it to lead into rather than out of the picture you would have your solution my guess is that this is also what you are seeing wrong but had not yet put your finger on it bock1965
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 2:27 PM   #9

Hello,
Me again. I took the liberty to play around a bit with your image. Played around with curves and Brightness/Contrast. Also I flipped it horizontal and rotated 90 clockwise. Now in my sometimes shortsighted opinion it has a bit more pop to it. Also now when my eyes come into the picture via the stem on the lower left they are allowed to comfortably find their way into the heart of the picture by way of the three lesser veins leading up and to the right toward the center. Also the darkness od the stem on the lower left is largely balanced by the blown highlights on the middle right. I know that all of what I did was purely subjective. If you like your art then to heck with those who dont!!!!!! bock1965
Attached Images

Old May 31, 2009, 2:33 PM   #10

uuuuuhhhhh actually I did not flip horizontaly just rotated clockwise 90 I also cropped just a bit maybe I really did flip it horizontally but one of the aliens flipped it back when they abducted me..........