Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 22, 2009, 10:53 PM   #1

Default Coronado Island Harbor (San Diego)

I posted a pretty wide assortment of shots from my business trip to San Diego earlier this week. I thought that I would post 4 shots that I took in the small harbor there.

They are 4 different shots of the same general area, taken about 9pm at night, ambient light, with just a very light breeze (you can see a bit of movement from shot to shot, since I varied the shutter time) and a very light fog. I used the K20 and the DA 16-45/f4 lens. All the shots were at f4, ISO 100, 20 to 21mm with a shutter speed of ranging from 8 to 16 seconds. I shot RAW+JPG, so these happen to be the JPGs right out of the camera with weak noise reduction (via the camera). All I did was to crop a bit and reduce the size for posting. I thought I would go back to the RAW, apply the lens correction, and see what I can do with them - probably less is more here. I spent a couple of minutes already and some initial ideas didn't work out at all. So I thought I would post these and then long about Monday, post the results of the RAW with what ever updates I think may work.

One thing, I tried several modes - but abandoned all of that for just the "B" mode, and taking several shots of the same scene, guessing at the time, doing the 1 one thousand, 2 one thousand ..... and adjusting after looking at the previous shot on the camera back monitor. Used a tripod and external wired release, with a 2 second mirror up delay. I was trying to use the Sv adjusting the time, but I shook the camera disturbing the framing, and it appeared that even though the internal timer went to 30 seconds - I was probably using it wrong, well it didn't automagically setup the camera, so I did my thing. I need to re-read the manual, as I misintreptered.....
Attached Images

Last edited by interested_observer; May 22, 2009 at 11:10 PM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2009, 10:54 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old May 22, 2009, 11:00 PM   #3

Here is another
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2009, 11:01 PM   #4

and the last
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2009, 11:48 PM   #5

So, I have a question. Using Bibble Pro on the RAW image, all I have done is to correct for the lens distortion, and to adjust the white balance. The two WB options that would be most correct- are incandescent or click white. Both are somewhat correct in that there was incandescent lighting used (as you can see from the extreme right hand side of image #1) which essentially provides a whiter/blue cast, or the click white - white balance. Actually to tell the truth, it was too dark to really tell which interpretation of white balance was most correct.
Attached Images

Old May 22, 2009, 11:49 PM   #6

.... and here is the click white WB.
Attached Images