Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 23, 2009, 12:11 AM   #1

Default Towers that aren't what they seem

Southern California offers a variety of sights that amuse and confuse, among them some towers of a different sort.

1 A converted water tower, now a home - my entry in the monthly contest:
Name:  IMGP1147r.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  91.2 KB

Next are the disappointing ones that weren't good enough due to poor shooting conditions, but interesting nonetheless for what they are:

2 Not a real pine tree, but an artificial tree to camouflage an electronic relay (cellphone ?) tower - taken from a moving vehicle on the 405 freeway (passenger seat, of course ) :
Name:  IMGP0339r3.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  43.4 KB

3 Not the office building it looks like when illuminated at night, but a camouflaged oil drilling rig on an artificial offshore island - a distant shot on a hazy afternoon from the Long Beach waterfront:
Name:  IMGP1156r.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  38.6 KB

4 and the island (with several other rigs enclosed in plainer towers of various heights):
Name:  IMGP1154r2.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  55.1 KB

5 and overhead in the distance the new commercial Zeppelin (a rigid airship, not a blimp), the first built since WWII - 250 feet long, on its first visit to Southern California for the Memorial Day weekend - a ride costs $345. A bad picture, but what you see is what you get.
Name:  IMGP1152r.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  20.7 KB

Last edited by penolta; May 23, 2009 at 9:53 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2009, 12:59 AM   #2

The fir tree cell phone tower looks a lot better than the fake palm trees that they have tried over here in the Phoenix area. The old water tower does appear to have some living appeal - I wonder what the views are like.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 2:12 AM   #3

Strange towers indeed

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 8:34 AM   #4

Interesting on the cell tower cover. I've often wondered why someone didn't come up with some way to disguise them. Either we have none around here, or they are better camoflauges than you've shown here.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 3:08 PM   #5

First one was understandable, second one great that they thought about it, but those oil rigs are magnificent. Didn't even know that they could look great.

Thanks for posting this.

Ronny
Old May 23, 2009, 7:40 PM   #6

Definitely a cell phone tower. There's a number of them around, including one that I have to really laugh at - it's on a golf course in Las Vegas and there are NO other growing objects of any sort anywhere around it that are even a third of its height. It stands out big-time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:30 PM   #7

Thanks to all of you for looking and commenting. I hesitated posting the poorer ones, but I thought they made an interesting subject.

Ronny, there used to be more of the taller ones, each with a different color of panels - red, blue, green, and yellow. They made quite a sight at night when lit by spotlights - it looked like a distant view of tall office buildings. I guess there is less active drilling now, and the producing wells have had the towers removed and are encased in shorter covers. The artificial islands with their landscaping and tower covers were undoubtably intended to blunt the vociferous public criticism of the unsightly offshore oil drilling platforms, of which there has been much here in California. I hadn't been by there in a while and was surprised that there was only one tall one left - I had envisioned a more spectacular photo.
Old May 28, 2009, 11:38 PM   #8

Penolta-
Please, not to worry! All of us here enjoy a bit of humor and tongue in cheek kind of stuff, You made us all laugh a bit. Congratulations!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 12:55 PM   #9

Thank you, Sarah. Glad you enjoyed them.
Old May 29, 2009, 2:25 PM   #10

Hey Pen,
somehow I missed your post earlier.
those are interesting pix. I still like the first one the best, I think it would be kind of like living in a treehouse... only, without the branches!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote