Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2009, 8:07 PM   #1

Default Watkins Glen (lots of pictures)

Spent part of the day hiking the gorge at Watkins Glen yesterday, after the 3 hour drive one way. We got there at noon so lighting was tough to deal with and because of our small children timing really wasn't an option. It's only about 1 1/2 miles long with many small waterfalls cut into a narrow but somewhat deep gorge. If you ever get a chance to see it, I recommend it, it's really beautiful. I apologize for the large amount of pictures, but I'll admit that what I show is only a small amount of what is there. I hope you enjoy these.

This was the falls at the entrance, you enter a small tunnel to the right with stairs that go up to this bridge.

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2009, 8:08 PM   #2

Old May 24, 2009, 8:09 PM   #3

Old May 24, 2009, 8:10 PM   #4

I think the wife and kids were tired already at this point:

If you want to view the entire set of pictures, they can be found here
Old May 24, 2009, 9:03 PM   #5

Mike -

A great set of photos of a unique place. Such amazing geology reflected in your photos! I agree that a cloudy, early morning would have given you better lighting, but it looks to me like you handled these quite well. And what a precious family!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 11:58 PM   #6

My daughter graduated from Ithaca College-the bumper sticker for the town of Ithaca is "Ithaca is Gorges". Terrific photo ops in that part of NY state
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 4:15 AM   #7

Lots of "great" pictures.

Thanks for sharing this marvelous place

Ronny
Old May 25, 2009, 6:21 AM   #8

What a wonderful place, thanks for sharing.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 8:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Mike -

A great set of photos of a unique place. Such amazing geology reflected in your photos! I agree that a cloudy, early morning would have given you better lighting, but it looks to me like you handled these quite well. And what a precious family!
Yeah, unfortunately when planning activities with the family we tend to do things on family time which means we don't get up really early in the morning to reach a destination early in the day and we prefer sunny days. Thank you for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJJR View Post
My daughter graduated from Ithaca College-the bumper sticker for the town of Ithaca is "Ithaca is Gorges". Terrific photo ops in that part of NY state
Funny that you should mention the sticker, I've seen that many times and in fact someone walking through the gorge Saturday had a shirt on with that on it. The finger lakes region is a fantastic and beautiful place even if you want to just enjoy a nice quiet ride for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Lots of "great" pictures.

Thanks for sharing this marvelous place

Ronny
It was my first time going there and I think once my kids are a couple years older I will bring them back. It was definitely too much for my youngest. My 2nd was getting pretty tired by the end as well. It's not a very large gorge but it does rise from the main entrance over 500 feet if I'm not mistaken, so a lot of stairs to climb along the mile and 1/2 trail. I enjoy sharing pictures of such beautiful places, I just wish that others could experience these places first hand, just as I wish that I could visit every wonderful place that I see pictures posted of on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
What a wonderful place, thanks for sharing.
Thank you for looking and I appreciate the good words from everyone.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:25 AM   #10

When I see Watkins Glen the first thing that pops into my head is NASCAR racing. No more.

This place is a beautiful setting. Your pictures do it justice.
You were able to tame the midday sun nicely. I like the way the walkways allow you to go under the falls. You also have a nice looking family.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote