Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
I studied at a dojang founded by an imigrant from Korea under the Song Moo Kwan style. When the grand master taught there were no less than 6 other masters that regularly atteneded various classes. Sadly he began spending more of his time over in Korea and turned the program over to his star young pupil (the other masters had jobs and did not want to run a business) and his daughters to run. I eventually left the school as it bacame what we call in the states a Mc Dojang - as long as you paid your money you were guaranteed advancement - up to, and including the rank of Master. The old masters left the school entirely when the grand master left the states for good. For the most part in the US, belts are bought and not earned. Taekwondo in particular has turned more in to sport here. It has become what I call 'foot tag' with too much emphasis on the narrow sparring rules and how to score within those rules and less emphasis on the important traditions, discipline and warrior tactics. At the time I left the school, there were two 'masters' in particular that couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag. Nor could they demonstrate all the various techniques and forms with accuracy, grace and power to the youth. They were promoted because they attended all the tournaments and acted as judges and referees. Ah well, glad to see there are still those around the world who appreciate 'old school' ways
Thanks for sharing your story, which is indeed so demonstrative. Sadly commercialization and devalualition of ideals has almost become a norm and globally prevalent...I strongly feel it especially on my travels when I meet some utterly brilliant village boys and girls while monetary education is being imposed by the wise politicians who send their children abroad financed by their merchant friends! I can see that the market will not evaluate these village children's will (or right!) of proper education as 'demand' since they will not able to afford it! On the other hand, as you also put it, anything goes(!) and everything is rational (!) in this era of late capitalism as long as you pay...Well, they all speak of rationality, but this is rather a 'formalized' rationality designed to serve the purpose ; )
Btw, I am amazed by the speed of Pentax Forum since I almost couldn't find my thread after two days : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:17 PM   #12

Very nicely captured. I'm his age and no where near his fitness abilities. If I'd tried his stunt in #5/6 I'd end up on the ground on my back!

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Very nicely captured. I'm his age and no where near his fitness abilities. If I'd tried his stunt in #5/6 I'd end up on the ground on my back!

Patty
Thanks for your interest. He's able to run and kick in the air! Well, we have our cameras and he has his stunts.... I also saw him ending his sprints vertically up the walls Below you see him breaking the wood held by his student(over 6ft.) on a chair!

Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:22 PM   #14

And i thought Pentax wasn't for this kind of stuff, just wait till the K7 is released Lol, just joking anyway very nice shots my friend i was going in the sports section looking for these, i like 3,5, &7 Tae Kwon Do is
good discipline for kids, i did this for 15yrs from age 15 to 30 from Master Il Sung Kim from Korea and also tought one of his schools in Washington State,
I also like the last picture you posted
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
And i thought Pentax wasn't for this kind of stuff, just wait till the K7 is released Lol, just joking
Hahaha, May I predict where the inspiration '...Pentax wasn't for this kind of stuff' comes from ?? Below you'll find an image I 'literally' just turned and shot at the last moment! Because I was preoccupied with my wife's orders on the cellular phone

Quote:
anyway very nice shots my friend i was going in the sports section looking for these, i like 3,5, &7 Tae Kwon Do is
good discipline for kids, i did this for 15yrs from age 15 to 30 from Master Il Sung Kim from Korea and also tought one of his schools in Washington State,
I also like the last picture you posted
Thank you for letting me know your favourites. How interesting to explore some other common practices through photography : ) Btw, I'm surprised to learn about the popularity of Korean masters and their schools in the States, though I knew it is all Korean oriented!

Old Jun 4, 2009, 5:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
Hahaha, May I predict where the inspiration '...Pentax wasn't for this kind of stuff' comes from ?? Below you'll find an image I 'literally' just turned and shot at the last moment! Because I was preoccupied with my wife's orders on the cellular phone

Thank you for letting me know your favourites. How interesting to explore some other common practices through photography : ) Btw, I'm surprised to learn about the popularity of Korean masters and their schools in the States, though I knew it is all Korean oriented!

Yes i think you predicted already lol,
nice fast reflexes arkadas looks really good for a last moment shot but don't you just hate it taking orders from the wife
We were at my sons dance and i had the video camera and my 40D then and while i was trying to take pictures she told me to shoot the video,
anyway looked like a really good seminar you had there arkadas
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 4:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
Yes i think you predicted already lol,
nice fast reflexes arkadas looks really good for a last moment shot but don't you just hate it taking orders from the wife
We were at my sons dance and i had the video camera and my 40D then and while i was trying to take pictures she told me to shoot the video,
anyway looked like a really good seminar you had there arkadas
Thank you arkadas! I would have switched to continuous shooting if I had been prepared for that shot since it was amazing to see the teens holding behind the board falling with the impact (as I was checking the lcd display!!) IMO, attention, readiness and ,above all, experience ranks #1 in this kind of photography. However, a permenantly ringing mobile - you know!- is the least desirable Another issue I cannot blame anyone or anything is that I forgot to swith to raw, which was unforgivable since it deprived me of the raw power of the K10D! Other than these I shot over 80 pictures there, all of which were in focus, a few, however requiring a faster shutter speed than 1/500''. Thus I was able to present the pictures in full size (ready to print) to the participants proudly! Ah, in short, lesson learned with the least possible loss for a rookie : )
I'd welcome any further suggestion, ah perhaps a Metz 58 AF flash with a guide number of 58!
Below is a 100% crop showing my daughter as the second from the lefthandside, the only one attempting to raise her head slightly to see what's happening above

Old Jun 5, 2009, 6:01 AM   #18

Getting here a bit late, those are some very nice action shots, great job capturing them.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 11:00 AM   #19

nice action shots ! I like no.7 (the crop) especially, very dramatic and impressive moment you captured there !
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
Getting here a bit late, those are some very nice action shots, great job capturing them.

Tom
Ah, so my replies are... : ) Thank you for your kind appreciation. In fact I could have done a better job if I had shot them in raw as I always do!! It seems I'll keep my K10D further and invest on accessories ; )

.................................................. ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsjiaotai View Post
nice action shots ! I like no.7 (the crop) especially, very dramatic and impressive moment you captured there !
Thank you for indicating your favourite as well! See the dust rising like some fume towards the bottom of the marble blocks on the lefthandside? I also like it : )