Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2009, 7:21 PM   #1

Default An old lion is still a lion!

Actually the quotation above is supposed to be from Alexander the Great describing one of his generals! Anyway, watching my kids' instructor who's well over 50, I wished I could keep half fit at his age! Shot with the K10D, but in jpeg.(ah, sadly I forgot to select raw!) Btw, the pictures below have all been cropped.

Addition! #7 a heavier cropping from #4...and a moment's interaction @1/500''! Thank you : ) His name is Orhan Barut!

Last edited by bahadir; Jun 2, 2009 at 4:04 PM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2009, 11:48 PM   #2

Very nice action shots! I wish I were that fit, too. Don't suppose he has to worry about any of his students giving him grief, does he?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 3:10 AM   #3

Great shots, only thing that could have been better is the last shot, next time tell him to do it over again without raising his arm before his face, but with this quality that's maybe nitpicking.

Ronny
Old May 25, 2009, 5:17 AM   #4

Ouch ! Great action shots, well done.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 9:34 AM   #5

Nice action shots. In addition to what mtngal said I don't think anyone will give him any grief.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 9:41 AM   #6

Great series!

Harriet, you have a good point. I knew a high school teacher once who opened the first day of school with a demonstration similar to the first one, then made a comment on how he expected they would have a very pleasant year without any problems!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7

#2 is a very nice shot. Demonstrations like this should be mandatory for all young men. You can never judge a book by it's cover. My old grandmaster was about 5'4" and not imposing at all - until he hit you!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 8:39 PM   #8

The kick shots are my favorite but they are all very well captured and the cropping does focus on the instructor. Looks like #4 is a ridgehand and captured quite nicely even though it doesn't show his face. The power this man generates and imparts definitely is conveyed here.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 5:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Very nice action shots! I wish I were that fit, too. Don't suppose he has to worry about any of his students giving him grief, does he?
Hahaha! Well indeed, he has a way of putting things Thank you! Oh, btw, for I had forgotten to say he was a Tae-kwon-do instructor.

.................................................. .................

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Great shots, only thing that could have been better is the last shot, next time tell him to do it over again without raising his arm before his face, but with this quality that's maybe nitpicking.

Ronny
Thank you for your kind interest. I appreciate the 'nitpicking' since it reminded me an old discussion about an ancient statue we are all familiar with somehow: Discobolus or Discus thrower. Perfectly aesthetical pose, but false when compared to a real athlete in action! I also threw discus once, btw : )

.................................................. ...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney9 View Post
Ouch ! Great action shots, well done.
Oh, Thank you so much for the incentive : )

.................................................. ..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Nice action shots. In addition to what mtngal said I don't think anyone will give him any grief.

Lou
Hahaha So I should hope Thank you for the feedback.

.................................................. .............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Great series!

Harriet, you have a good point. I knew a high school teacher once who opened the first day of school with a demonstration similar to the first one, then made a comment on how he expected they would have a very pleasant year without any problems!
Mmmmmm...I appreciate that teacher's awareness of certain learnin styles such as 'kinesthetic learning' Thank you!

.................................................. .................

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
#2 is a very nice shot. Demonstrations like this should be mandatory for all young men. You can never judge a book by it's cover. My old grandmaster was about 5'4" and not imposing at all - until he hit you!
Happy to read your appreciation. Perhaps we are from the last generation who had their share from the tradion at the state school or the 'legion' !! (assuming you're also from state school like me) Ah, now there are private schools everywhere which provide more customer, oh sorry, student centered teaching

.................................................. .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
The kick shots are my favorite but they are all very well captured and the cropping does focus on the instructor. Looks like #4 is a ridgehand and captured quite nicely even though it doesn't show his face. The power this man generates and imparts definitely is conveyed here.
Thank you for the kind words. I also like the sequential quality of the kick shots, watching, in feeling of awe, this person's ability of running while changing guard and feet in the air Above I added a tighter crop of #4!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 9:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Happy to read your appreciation. Perhaps we are from the last generation who had their share from the tradion at the state school or the 'legion' !! (assuming you're also from state school like me) Ah, now there are private schools everywhere which provide more customer, oh sorry, student centered teaching
I studied at a dojang founded by an imigrant from Korea under the Song Moo Kwan style. When the grand master taught there were no less than 6 other masters that regularly atteneded various classes. Sadly he began spending more of his time over in Korea and turned the program over to his star young pupil (the other masters had jobs and did not want to run a business) and his daughters to run. I eventually left the school as it bacame what we call in the states a Mc Dojang - as long as you paid your money you were guaranteed advancement - up to, and including the rank of Master. The old masters left the school entirely when the grand master left the states for good. For the most part in the US, belts are bought and not earned. Taekwondo in particular has turned more in to sport here. It has become what I call 'foot tag' with too much emphasis on the narrow sparring rules and how to score within those rules and less emphasis on the important traditions, discipline and warrior tactics. At the time I left the school, there were two 'masters' in particular that couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag. Nor could they demonstrate all the various techniques and forms with accuracy, grace and power to the youth. They were promoted because they attended all the tournaments and acted as judges and referees. Ah well, glad to see there are still those around the world who appreciate 'old school' ways
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote