Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 24, 2009, 10:22 PM   #1

Default Pentax Help please...

I recently purchased a K 20D....great camera....So i robbed the piggy bank and purchased a DA 16-50mm f2.8 AL[IF]SDM .I had the lens only a few days and this "shadow" present in numerous pics.I have attempted to post two examples below.Anybody seen this before????
PJOBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2

If you could retry posting the samples we could give it a shot.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:43 PM   #3

Thanks Rufus ,,,i will need to resize smaller....working on it
Old May 24, 2009, 10:51 PM   #4

2nd try .....Photo
Attached Images

Old May 24, 2009, 11:02 PM   #5

It looks like a shadow from the lens hood caused by the on-board flash.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:09 PM   #6

Yep that looks like what is causing it.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 11:11 PM   #7

I was not using a lens hood .....It happens on closer up shots also....Is there a "fix"
Thanks
Old May 24, 2009, 11:23 PM   #8

If it's happening on closer shots (16mm) then it's the lens itself. I Just recreated the same with mine. You need to have about 25mm to avoid the shadow with the on-board flash.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOBE View Post
I was not using a lens hood .....It happens on closer up shots also....Is there a "fix"
Thanks
The 16-50 f/2.8 is a large lens, and the on-board flash does not extend high enough to avoid it. The best "fix" would be to get an external flash, like the AF-200 FG.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 12:38 AM   #10
daz

Not to sound condescending because that is not my intent, it is just hard to get subtleties across in forums. So just the facts.

This is a well know issue across all makes of DSLR cameras with onboard flashes. On the larger lenses the flash may cast a shadow. This is why on the documentation for these lenses they say not compatible with the flash. This is what they are talking about. Obviously this is not totally true.

There are 4 basic ways around this.

First as stated by others use the longer focal lengths and subjects farther away. Not the best but cheap.

Next cheapest is a diffuser for the onboard flash that also gets some of the light up above the lens. An item like this http://www.adorama.com/SFOMF1.html works surprisingly well even if it looks funny. You may loose some range but you get a little softer light up close. If you really need more light then the next are better options but for the price why not.

Up in price is just about any hotshoe flash that is compatible with the camera. They all AFAIK get the flash above the lens.

Last is off camera flash. With the K20D you can use the onboard flash to control the off camera flash if you get the right kind. So if you get the right kind this is a 2 for 1 that opens up a lot of other things with flash.

I use all 4 as they each have their uses. Using flash is not any harder the learning a camera like the K20D but it is about the same additional work. Some would rather not use any flash but to me it is just one more creative thing about photography.

Remember photography is fun so donít feel bad having fun.

DAZ
Painting is an additive art. The artist adds to the canvas until they stop with their version of reality. Digital photography is subtractive art. First we throw away 90 percent of reality then remove what is left bit by bit until we have only the reality we wish to show. Flickr is like fun. PPG is like work. A camera is a machine of light and time with the purpose of capturing a luminous moment. Like the eye it is a tool of the mind.
daz is offline   Reply With Quote