Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2009, 5:26 PM   #21

Well, Roy, now that you have a "modern" camera, think of how much money you will save by settling on a couple of lenses that will take advantage of the features of the new camera (and I don't mean the LTDs), and not continuing to buy all those older, obsolete ones - it will help you control your LBA!

Seriously though, I am sorry to hear of your problems, and I am glad to see both you and Dal back participating again. Photography is a great soporific, and can help to provide a distraction from the ever present problems of aging.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 1:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Well, Roy, now that you have a "modern" camera,
ones - it will help you control your LBA!

from the ever present problems of aging.
haven't had LBA for QUITE some time.. all i want is a decent wide to fill that slot.. any lense i buy now is for resale.. i'd also like an AF 300mm..but... i've got 3 300mm right now..
docP, your and harriet's opinion mean a lot more to me than you think..

anyway the k20 arrived today.. i haven't been killed so far but barb is probably sleeping on it.. looking at finances and other bills i just may have to sell the DS afterall..
i'm real surprised at the size and weight.. i'd thought there was a big difference and it's just not so..
a 282page owners manual is a little daunting tho..
what 3rd party battery are you using??
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 6:31 PM   #23

actually there's a big difference in weight once you get the battery and kit lens installed..
i've got a message to buydig about why the counter on the camers shows 2295 activations on a new camera..
anybody else seen this??
Old May 29, 2009, 6:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
actually there's a big difference in weight once you get the battery and kit lens installed..
i've got a message to buydig about why the counter on the camers shows 2295 activations on a new camera..
anybody else seen this??
I think the counter shows the number of shots remaining on the card, according to its capacity and the file size you have set. You should see it decrease as you shoot. If you change the file size, the number of recordable images will change accordingly (page 158 in your manual).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 6:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I think the counter shows the number of shots remaining on the card, according to its capacity and the file size you have set. You should wee it decrease as you shoot. If you change the file size, the number of recordable images will change accordingly (page 158 in your manual).
P,
you are dead right!! thought of this while doing the dishes.. i just need to start a card off at 0 shots.. i feel like quite a DA right now but i'll get over it as i have in the past.. guess we never get away from that..

Last edited by robar; May 29, 2009 at 7:06 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 7:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
anybody else seen this??
Hi Roy,

To see the number of actuations, you have to look at the exif with something like PhotoMe which reads ALL the exif data. It's a freeware download.

http://www.photome.de/

The "shutter count" field is located about 2 1/2 screens down from the Manufacturer's Notes header.

It's apparently normal for a brand new Pentax to have a couple hundred shutter actuations from in-factory testing. I'd say that anything over about a thousand would raise a flag for me. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 7:19 PM   #27

i know this is all past news to practically everyone here.. but this cam handles like it was built for my hands..
the k7 sounds like a great cam but to me all it offers is video..
guess i'll upgrade again in 2014
Old May 29, 2009, 7:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Roy,

To see the number of actuations, you have to look at the exif with something like PhotoMe which reads ALL the exif data. It's a freeware download.

http://www.photome.de/

The "shutter count" field is located about 2 1/2 screens down from the Manufacturer's Notes header.

It's apparently normal for a brand new Pentax to have a couple hundred shutter actuations from in-factory testing. I'd say that anything over about a thousand would raise a flag for me. . .

Scott
scott,
thanks but it is the card i inserted..
Old May 29, 2009, 7:55 PM   #29

Congratulations, Robar-

...on your new K-20 camera. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot. I wanted a smaller camera and did not have the bucks for the K-7, so I went to the KM-2000. The camera arrived today as well, so I am a happy camper.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 11:15 PM   #30

I've always thought that the K20 felt better in my hands than the K10 did. Don't know why since they are the same size and weight, but there's some little ergonomics that made it far more comfortable to use. (My K10's focus problems could have also had something to do with it - I was probably gripping that camera too tightly out of frustration).

Don't forget to reformat any old cards, and make sure you don't use a card with photos from your DS still on it - otherwise your file name will suddenly reflect the number of pictures your DS shows.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote