Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 26, 2009, 8:31 PM   #1

Default Question

i know i'm very late about ?? regarding the k20 but will i need to update my sigma super500 flash? it works well on the DS but>>>>>>>
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2009, 8:55 PM   #2

Chances are you will need to. I found out the hard way at a wedding (as a guest). Way too many shots that the flash didn't fire or the shutter stayed open too long. I sent it back to Sigma and they did whatever they had to do. It was about a ten day turnaround.
Old May 26, 2009, 9:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
i know i'm very late about ?? regarding the k20 but will i need to update my sigma super500 flash? it works well on the DS but>>>>>>>
For the K10 (and I presume above) if the serial number of the flash is below 8063038 it needs to be rechipped by Sigma.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 11:36 PM   #4

Add-on question: This flash works with P-TTL, OK? Can it also be used with TTL? I'm thinking of getting a flash for my K20, but I'd like to be able to use it in TTL mode with my DS as well (together with my 280T flashes which are only TTL)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 7:29 AM   #5

On my DS I use the Pentax AF500-FTZ which works great-does the TTL-you can still get good deals on Ebay. This flash will not interface with the K10 or K20. I bought a Metz Af 48 to use on these two. A little confusing at first but now works fine-this uses P-ttl which will not work with the DS. I tried using the Metz on the DS and every shot was extemely over exposed. I have never used the Sigma flashes so have no input on those.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 7:48 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Interestingly, my Sigma 500DG Super worked with the DL and currently works with my K20D. However, it does not give me accurate exposures with the K10D that I recently acquired. I am thinking of having it re-chipped by Sigma. However, it is strange that if it works with the K20D that it would not be backwards compatible with the K10D. I'd be interested in any thoughts on this as well.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
Add-on question: This flash works with P-TTL, OK? Can it also be used with TTL? I'm thinking of getting a flash for my K20, but I'd like to be able to use it in TTL mode with my DS as well (together with my 280T flashes which are only TTL)

Kjell
It is a pretty sophisticated flash. It can be set for Manual, TTL, or PTTL, but some "advanced" functions are available only in PTTL. My old *istD manual is speced as "TTL/PTTL" and I assume the DS/DL are as well, so it should be adaptable to both for you.

No idea as to Jalpee's question, unless there was some quirk in the K10 circuitry that was corrected in the K20. If the serial number of the flash is above 8063038 the problem may be with the K10 itself. Best thing is to call Sigma customer service and see what they say.

Last edited by penolta; May 27, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 1:23 PM   #8

The *istDS has P-TTL capacity, but my older flashes don't. I'd like to be able to use a flash with my K20D, but also use it together with my other flashes and the DS for more advanced set ups. Does anyone know if the 5P cords work with P-TTL?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 2:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Interestingly, my Sigma 500DG Super worked with the DL and currently works with my K20D. However, it does not give me accurate exposures with the K10D that I recently acquired. I am thinking of having it re-chipped by Sigma. However, it is strange that if it works with the K20D that it would not be backwards compatible with the K10D. I'd be interested in any thoughts on this as well.
Hi jelpee,

Have you updated the firmware? IIRC -- 1.1 for the K10 mainly allowed TTL wireless with the onboard flash -- but it's possible that there were further tweaks to the P-TTL included. I don't know if this will help, but it probably can't hurt. . .

Again, IIRC, 1.3 allowed SDM support. All previous firmware updates are included in the latest.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilybianca View Post
The *istDS has P-TTL capacity, but my older flashes don't. I'd like to be able to use a flash with my K20D, but also use it together with my other flashes and the DS for more advanced set ups. Does anyone know if the 5P cords work with P-TTL?
Hi Kjell,

The 5P cords are for needed for P-TTL support AFAIK. I've got a 5P with an on camera FG and an off camera F in addition to a Promaster P-TTL cord setup and both work the same.

My AF280T works fine with all my bodies (The D, DS, and DS2 are the only bodies that support TTL), but you'd have to use Auto or go Manual for any of the other bodies.

FWIW, if you're considering a P-TTL flash, don't discount the AF360 FGZ because of the lack of swivel -- I've found using the 360 to be fine, even for head shots, with the K20 -- I just shoot them in landscape and crop to portrait. It seems like you'd be "throwing away" a lot of the frame, but the extra resolution of the K20 gives me more than enough pixels for very detailed 8x10 prints from the vertical crops. Of course YMMV, but it works for me. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 3:09 PM   #10

looks like i'll have to wait
my DS will never leave me because of it's TTL
robar is offline   Reply With Quote