Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2009, 12:12 AM   #1

Default K200D or K10D

I've had an ist Ds since 2005 and recently found a brand new K10D (new old stock) for $250. I couldn't resist the price, so I went ahead and picked it up since I wanted a DSLR with at least 10MP. Clearly the K10D is more complicated and I'm trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it and get a K200D. I want to expand my photographic knowledge, but I don't want to struggle with getting a good pic every time I go to one of my son's basketball games. My questions is will the K200D have enough flexibility to grow with me as I expand my knowledge and skill, or should I just struggle through the K10D until I'm proficient? Any advice will be much appreciated.
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2009, 3:25 AM   #2

Stick it on the P or full auto mode and go for it until you have the confidence to try it in the semi automatic modes such as aperture and shutter speed priority.

Most of what it does it similar to the DS but the are set by switches rather than navigating via menus.

I went from a DS to a K10D and found the transition fairly simple, although I still use the DS as a second body.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 10:08 AM   #3

you're probably right, because my indoor action pictures with my ist Ds weren't much better on the action selection than what I've been able to achieve so far with my K10D. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and invest in some newer, faster lenses. More money on photography, my wife will be thrilled!
Old May 28, 2009, 10:14 AM   #4

$250 for a k10??
keep it and go for it..
why let a model # bother you..
the 10d is more than most suppliers offer..
10meg or 14meg is just a few pixels on the height and width of the sensor.. i've never had problems with my DS at 6megs.. i've done many a print at 13x19'' from it's measly 6meg sensor..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 10:35 AM   #5

That is a great price, which is why I couldn't pass it up. I actually bought 2 of 'em at that price, local camera stores closing and clearing out old stock. I'm thinking about selling them both, though, and investing in the new K7 when it's available in July.
Old May 28, 2009, 1:45 PM   #6

If you are struggling with the K10D, then why would you want to upgrade already to the K7????

As Roy said, 6MP is plenty. Unless I am cropping heavily, then the DL2 I started with showed less noise at higher then the K20D. Plus it printed at A4 with no problems.

I just wanted the shake reduction, vertical grip and few more toys to play with, so went to the K10D and then the K20D.

Has my photography improved - yes. As it improved enough to justify the outlay - probably not.

Keep the K10D - sell the other one if your daughter really doesn't want it, and enjoy shooting.

As for the new glass, I am now in that position. The standard-ish lenses are now restricting by development....Good job digital is so cheap!!!! LOL

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 2:49 PM   #7

Hi jnanpentaxfan,

I think you have to make a subjective choice, depending on how you feel about the two bodies. If you find the K200 feels better, and you'd be more likely to use it because of this, then getting one might make some sense. The K10, while not having scene modes on the mode dial, does have similar settings available in the Fn menu under image quality settings (ie portrait, landscape, etc). These, and P mode should give you the automation that you might feel that you want while learning the camera.

The only reasons that I'm considering the K-7 over my current K20, K10, DS, and K100S are AF speed in gaining a positive lock, especially in lower light conditions, camera processing speed, and camera response speed (the latter two indicated by the increase in continuous fps). Any improvements in IQ would be appreciated, especially at higher ISO settings. The reason why these are important to me is that I find myself pushing these specs in my current shooting. I really rely greatly on AF, and wanting lower light AF capability isn't because I shoot a lot in lower light -- I mostly shoot in daylight, but with longer lenses with either one or two TCs, so the lens combos I use a lot have relatively slow effective max apertures. Acceptable Image Quality at higher ISOs are also desireable for the same reason -- I shoot a lot at 800-1250, and better IQ at higher sensitivities would be a significant plus.

If you find yourself not pushing the K10's specs, then paying a lot more for a newer cam doesn't make a whole lot sense, IMO. You got a fantastic deal! I was very happy finding a K100S for about the same price a few weeks ago. . .. . . I guess I should have waited, but. . .

Bottom line, I'd stand pat with the K10 and look for some nice glass. Congrats on the K10 and welcome to the forum.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote