Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2009, 5:29 AM   #1
OW

Default Full Frame Pentax and new Lenses about to be released ???

Hi Forum

There seems to be a lot of RUMOURS about new lenses from PENTAX are about to be released, those being:

DFA* 20mm F2.8 SDM
DFA 645 25mm F2.8
DFA* 50mm F1.0 SDM
DA 135mm F2.8 Limited
DA* 400mm F4 ED[IF] SDM

This release have furthered speculations about a Full Frame Pentax DSLR should be just around the corner.

Here is one "rumourmonger" : http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00TTIV?unified_p=1

What does THIS Fact Focussed forum thinks about those rumors ???

Ole

Last edited by OW; May 28, 2009 at 5:32 AM.
OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2009, 10:44 AM   #2

i've been saying that a FF by pentax is inevitable for the past years. that's why i've avoided the DA lenses.. why have a $1000 spare tire you can't use
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 1:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OW View Post
Hi Forum

There seems to be a lot of RUMOURS about new lenses from PENTAX are about to be released, those being:

DFA* 20mm F2.8 SDM
DFA 645 25mm F2.8
DFA* 50mm F1.0 SDM
DA 135mm F2.8 Limited
DA* 400mm F4 ED[IF] SDM

This release have furthered speculations about a Full Frame Pentax DSLR should be just around the corner.

Here is one "rumourmonger" : http://photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00TTIV?unified_p=1

What does THIS Fact Focussed forum thinks about those rumors ???

Ole
Hi Ole,

I don't know, and really don't much care. FF is not anywhere near the top of my priority list. From what I've seen from Pentax representatives, FF is also not near theirs either. There have been numerous statements that they aren't planning to join the competition for this very expensive and small market. In one of the threads where the usual suspects were talking up the possibility that the K-7 might be FF, Ned Bunnel (Pres of Pentax USA) asked what lenses the poster intended on using with it.

24x36 sensors are still not financially practical to mfg. They are not selling in numbers that allow the economy of scale to bring the cost down dramatically as happened with APS-C when the Canon Rebel broke the $1000 DSLR price barrier way back when. . .

Pentax does not have a digitally optimized 24x36 line of lenses. Sure the F, FA, and D-FAs have the image circle size to cover the frame, as do all the MF lens series. Do they have large enough image circles taking into account SR? . . . with acceptable edge/corner IQ for a multiple thousand $$$ body. . .nobody can say for sure. . . most of the "FF" coverage tests I've seen were done looking through the VF of film cameras for any visible vignetting -- not really difinitive to my mind. . . and then there are the many testimonials from Canon and Nikon users who seem to say that only the best of their lenses really cut it when mounted on a "FF" body. . .

Most Pentaxians have shyed away from the more expensive bodies -- how many K10 (and *ist series) shooters are now just upgrading to the K20 because of the extreme discounting? The camera deserved better initial sales, but never really got them because of the intro price of $1200 (which was a bargain for the feature set, IMO). Personally, I've seen many more posts in various fora containing excuses not to upgrade that were pretty much just rationalizations without much real merit. I hear the same arguments from current K20 users about adopting the K-7 which is a very significant upgrade from the K20 (again, IMO) at only $100 more than the intro price of the K20.

How many people, both Pentaxians and CanNikSoOly shooters would be willing to shell out at least a couple of grand for a Pentax FF -- not many, I'd say. Canon, Nikon, and Sony shooters would have no reason to switch -- except for maybe the FA Ltds (which are essentially discontinued). The long glass shooters would lose the 1.5x crop factor. Pentax's 24x36 digitally optimized lens line is exactly 2 lenses -- the D FA 50 and 100 macros -- not exactly overwhelming. As late as the start of the talk about the new direction that the (then unamed K-7) was going to take, Pentax spokesmen have stated that there was no 24x36 format body in the works for the immediate future.

I currently have 4 Pentax DSLR bodies and am more heavily invested in K mount lenses than probably 99% of the posters on any of the fora, and I WOULDN'T buy a 24x36 Pentax body, even tho my most heavily used lenses cover the frame (FA* 300/4.5 and FA* 300/2.8), and even if such a body were to be made available for under $2000 USD (which would be unlikely). I was an early adopter of the K10 and K20, and will buy a K-7 after some concrete info is available after they finalize the firmware, show no early production problems, and have some professional and (trusted) user reviews published/posted.

I'll continue to buy the best APS-C (or possibly APS-H), optical VF, K mount bodies that Pentax (or Samsung) can produce. My hope is that Pentax will continue to concentrate their efforts to further develop the cropped format instead of wasting a lot of time, R&D money, and effort on 24x36. I think that the 645D will establish Pentax's perceived "legitimacy" as a high end camera mfg, and they won't need to do this with a "FF" body that would probably lose them significant money.

Just my 2 -- and I'll admit to a somewhat skewed perspective. . .

Scott

BTW, of the listed lenses, only the DA* 400/4 would be of any real interest to me, and I find the possibility of this lens being actually introduced to be rather slim. Unless they use some pretty radical aspheric lens elements, it would have to have at least similar size/weight to an FA*300/2.8. This makes for a very large lens (112mm front element and over 7 lbs) -- and it would be at least as expensive ($4700 USD was the last price I saw for the FA* 300/2.8). I don't think that there would be that many takers (there would be some, for sure). A much more likely candidate for the rumored "ultra tele" in development would be a DA* 400/5.6 -- still handholdable, and probably priced not too far above the DA*300/4. Personally, I'd probably not buy either. . .
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 1:37 PM   #4

Having gone back to a film camera for a while, it was a refreshing relief to look through the viewfinder and be able to see clearly and cleanly through the bigger, brighter viewfinder - manual focus is a breeze!!!

Also the benefit of the lenses being as nature intended is also refreshing. No need to spend a small fortune on an 18mm prime to get the same wide angle as a 28mm for 10.

I was initially against the idea of full frame digital, but it certainly has its benfits, and as more bodies become available, so the price will drop.

The crop factor is largely artifical anyway, as it is a crop...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 2:30 PM   #5

It's an interesting dilemma for Pentax. Without a doubt, the pro DSLR market segment is going full frame. But in a large sense I agree with snostorm - Pentax would have to make a significant investment in new AF capable lenses capable of quality FF coverage. And there's the very real issue of how many Pentax users would pay for the camera and such lenses. A recurring theme I see here and other forums is many Pentax users are very price conscious. It's not a put-down, just a reality. There's an awful lot of R&D $$$ Pentax would have to put up to create a full frame camera and associated lenses to compete with what the others have out.

On the other hand - I think it's a growing market segment and lots of people are beginning to realize the benefits to dynamic range, depth-of-field and high ISO performance full frame provides. And, of course, we all know the general masses love the MEGAPIXEL. Expect sub-$2000 full frame DSLRs very soon. I would expect in 3 years they'll be at the $1500 price point.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote