Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2009, 4:13 PM   #11

Thank you all for your comments. I was thinking along the same lines, but sometimes I can be a little harsh and stubborn, so I like to do a double check. Here is what I told her: I will give her the K10D to take to school if she wants it. If she wants a Canon instead, she will have to come up with the money. The part that really puzzles me is that she usually is not brand conscious at all. She usually is repelled by that aspect of her age group. Oh well, I guess we all have our blind spots.
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 4:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
The part that really puzzles me is that she usually is not brand conscious at all.
Maybe it is peer pressure from those that are.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 5:22 PM   #13

Quote:
As I stated in an earlier thread, I got a good deal on 2 K10D's, brand new, old stock, $250 each. One I bought for my daughter who will be freshman at Belmont and an art & photography major. Thought that a K10D for $250 would be a GREAT DSLR to get her started, especially since I'm willing to give her the camera as a gift. I even got the BG2 battery grip for $42! She rejected it and told my wife/her mom: "...no professional photographer would EVER use a Pentax!" She wants to go buy a Canon (not sure which model) and pay 3 to 4 times as much for what I consider a lesser camera. I'd apprecate comments from any pro's on this.

THANKS!

PS: I originally posted this question in the Point & Shoot Pentax thread by mistake. Oops!
to be honest i will look at it like this
if one can afford a Bently vechicle and enjoys luxary, why should he drive around in a Ford Pinto.
so for the last couple of months , i have digging for that answer.
do i step up to the K7, or does Nikon and Canon have better to offer me?

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 10:45 AM   #14

For what and how she is going to use the camera, I would have believe that there is probably nothing better (especially for the price). Pentax has some very high quality glass that the light has to pass through to get to the sensor. All it comes down to is, she is feeling different without the canon or nikon name on the front - and probably does not know the technical difference between the various brands to make an intelligent argument on the merits of any of the particular situation that may make any difference in her use. By the time she graduates, it will not matter one iota, because based on the type of photography she pursues, that will influence the type of equipment she will need.

I seriously doubt that she will change her mind - she is not even in class and feeling the peer pressure to conform. Well to survive as a photographer, she is going to have to think out of the box. If she produces the same images as everyone else does, why would a buyer select her work? Be a bit different, stand out for the right reasons, and actually the tools do not matter at this point. Its learning the basics, the tools so as to be able to manipulate them in order to produce the end product you desire.

If she is really serious, she would be starting out with the glass and working back to the sensor, so as to select the approperiate camera system. However, for a student, working in manual with a number of high quality affordable lenses available at a resonable price, I doubt that you would be able to beat Pentax.

Also, if she did have a "pro" body, could she lift it? and be able to effectiviely use it? I think it all boils down to the label......

At least its not a brownie instamatic....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 11:13 AM   #15

I really think that Interested Observer has touched on the heart of this issue. As a mother of eight, with four of them being girls, I can still remember the issues that we had with one daughter who simply HAD TO HAVE name brand clothing. The other girls were sensitive to the family budget, but not Barbara.

My husband and I finally resolved the issue by writing her a check for what we normally paid for clothes for the other three girls, and telling Barbara, yes she could have the name brand clothes she desired, but she was going to have to close the price gap with her own money.

As determined as ever, Barbara, got a job at the local Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream store and, using her own earnings, she paid the dollar difference and got her name brand clothing. It was a good lesson for her, and she quickly learned how to manage her own money.

Today, Barbara is the mother of three with one at university, one who will graduate from high school in a month and another still in high school. But occasionally we still laugh about the name brand clothes issue.

So the solution might be: give her the value of the Pentax DSLR (what you paid for it) and tell her it has to be her that makes up the cash difference, if she does indeed need a name brand Canon or Nikon DSLR camera.

That removes you from having to create the camera solution, and gives her the opportunity to craft her own solution with regard to which DSLR camera she will use. For sure, it will make her think.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 12:28 AM   #16

Quote:
As I stated in an earlier thread, I got a good deal on 2 K10D's, brand new, old stock, $250 each.
You got that a a Ritz store closing out didn't you!
So did I.

Tell your daughter to buy her own camera with HER money.
She will appreciate it more. That K10D will make an excellent backup to the one you have now. Keep it.

I love mine.
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 7:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack55 View Post
You got that a a Ritz store closing out didn't you!
So did I.

Tell your daughter to buy her own camera with HER money.
She will appreciate it more. That K10D will make an excellent backup to the one you have now. Keep it.

I love mine.
Yes, I sure did! I'm having a blast selling all this stuff on ebay! My wife thinks I've gone nuts. My office looks like a camera store!
The good news is that I'm making about $100 per camera and it's going to fund my next camera expenditure: some nice glass! The item that I bought that is selling like hot cakes is the D-BG2 Battery grip. The first one I listed sold in 38 minutes and I listed it after midnight!

I told my daughter that I would sell the K10D on ebay and apply the $250 that I paid for it towards the camera of her choice, but the rest of the cost was her responsibility.
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Yes, I sure did! I'm having a blast selling all this stuff on ebay! My wife thinks I've gone nuts. My office looks like a camera store!
The good news is that I'm making about $100 per camera and it's going to fund my next camera expenditure: some nice glass! The item that I bought that is selling like hot cakes is the D-BG2 Battery grip. The first one I listed sold in 38 minutes and I listed it after midnight!

I told my daughter that I would sell the K10D on ebay and apply the $250 that I paid for it towards the camera of her choice, but the rest of the cost was her responsibility.
Damn, I really want a d-bg2 grip...
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote