Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2009, 10:25 AM   #1

Default Need Pro opinion: K10D or Canon ???

As I stated in an earlier thread, I got a good deal on 2 K10D's, brand new, old stock, $250 each. One I bought for my daughter who will be freshman at Belmont and an art & photography major. Thought that a K10D for $250 would be a GREAT DSLR to get her started, especially since I'm willing to give her the camera as a gift. I even got the BG2 battery grip for $42! She rejected it and told my wife/her mom: "...no professional photographer would EVER use a Pentax!" She wants to go buy a Canon (not sure which model) and pay 3 to 4 times as much for what I consider a lesser camera. I'd apprecate comments from any pro's on this.

THANKS!

PS: I originally posted this question in the Point & Shoot Pentax thread by mistake. Oops!
jnanpentaxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2009, 10:58 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Welcome to the forum!

I'm by no means a pro, but reading your post reminds me of the words of George Bernard Shaw: "Youth is Wasted on the Young"!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan View Post
As I stated in an earlier thread, I got a good deal on 2 K10D's, brand new, old stock, $250 each. One I bought for my daughter who will be freshman at Belmont and an art & photography major. Thought that a K10D for $250 would be a GREAT DSLR to get her started, especially since I'm willing to give her the camera as a gift. I even got the BG2 battery grip for $42! She rejected it and told my wife/her mom: "...no professional photographer would EVER use a Pentax!" She wants to go buy a Canon (not sure which model) and pay 3 to 4 times as much for what I consider a lesser camera. I'd apprecate comments from any pro's on this.

THANKS!

PS: I originally posted this question in the Point & Shoot Pentax thread by mistake. Oops!
Well, I'm no pro, but having seen the work of real pros posted on this forum and another one I frequent that is exclusively pentax. I can say that there are many pros who use Pentax. But more importantly, the pros themselves really are the ones who make the equipment shine and not the equipment itself. I think your daughter would be better off worrying about becoming a good photographer rather than what equipment she is using. That's my opinion for what it's worth. Point her at www.pentaxphotogallery.com as a starting point, there are many pros who have their work up there and they are using Pentax gear.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 12:30 PM   #4

When I did my photography course at school, I used a Zenit E and b/w film, as my dad had upgraded to a Pentax K1000. I passed with no problems compared to anyone else, who were using exotic cameras like the ME super with motordrive.

The real question for your daughter is whether she can afford to finace all the expensive, pro Canon lenses to help make her look like a Pro.

At the learning stage, the best camera will be the one that fits her hands and is comfortable to use.

However, the gift (free) of a Pentax and the fact that lenses are a fraction of the cost of the Canon or Nikon should really sway her to your side.

If not, tell her to buy her own gear - youngsters rarely appreciate anything given freely and only start to understand when they have to buy things themselves.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5

Well, I guess cameras are like a lot of things, it all depends on what you want, expect, form your product and what you're willing to pay and how you feel about it. For example, I'm a very proud owner of a Honda Goldwing, I love it, I would never buy a Harley although I wouldn't turn one down if it were given to me.
I also have a son that feels the same way about his Harley.

BTW, at $250 a pop, I would have bought there entire stock! if you have any problems getting rid of that unwanted camera, just give me a shout.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 12:44 PM   #6

There are a number of pros who shoot Pentax - look at Outdoor Photographer from a couple of months ago for a write-up on Kerrick James, a pro who takes the Pentax K10 kayaking in Alaska ( http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/l...ka-by-sea.html ). Do a search on his name for his website - awesome pictures!

Or look through the threads here ( http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...s-content.html ), I think it was a month or two ago, when a pro pointed out that Spring Magazine, a fashion magazine, was filled with photos taken by a Pentax K20 (shot by a pro who works in Paris). The pros who use Pentax just quietly go about their business earning money (I'm not one of them).

On the other hand, your daughter won't use a camera she doesn't want. And it sounds like image is far more important to her than having an outstanding camera for not a lot of money. So she'll blame everything on that "lousy" camera you bought her, even when the fault isn't the equipment. So if she's that adamant about image, gratefully take back the second K10 for your own back-up and let her buy a Canon.

Last edited by mtngal; May 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added references
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 3:05 PM   #7

hmm, she wants a pro camera ... for me : she's telling you she wants a camera like everyone else in the classroom is using.

That doesn't mean that it's a professional model, just that the brand is the same as the others have.

What do I call a professional model ... hmm ... the only thing I'm sure of is that it'll cost you more than 3 - 4 times you think. I guess something in the range from 3000$ and up lenses not included.

Anyway I've got a daughter doing her bachelor and I don't argue, I just pay

Succes

Ronny
Old May 28, 2009, 3:22 PM   #8

People seem to be impressed by how much things cost. She may think the K10D is a cheap camera because it only cost you $250. Tell her that when it was introduced it was somewhere around $1200 for the body alone. That might help her see things differently. Then, on the other hand, it is not the latest and greatest thing because the design is a couple of years old - you can't win with teen-agers. When I was in high school, a fairly well-to-do uncle asked me what kind of camera I wanted for graduation. I told him I wanted a Nikon F -- he gave me a hand-me-down Bolsey 35. She doesn't know how lucky she is.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 3:36 PM   #9

Hi jnanpentaxfan,

As Harriet stated, I don't know that you can convince your daughter to use the Pentax if she really thinks it's inferior, but there are a number of arguments that can be used.

Lower body cost = much more money to spend on glass -- the quality of the body justifies great glass. As you stated, it would cost at least 2-3x to get a comparable Nikon or Canon body, and to get IS/VR, you'd have to spend A LOT MORE for the glass.

From Harriet's post, you can get a link to some of Benjamin Kanarek's work (the Spring Magazine stuff). Some background on Benjamin -- all from memory, so I might have some details wrong -- He's a Canadian, now working out of Paris, and a well-recognized fashion Pro. He switched from a Canon sponsorship when offered one by Pentax, but has stuck with Pentax as a main system after they severed the sponsorship at about the time of the K20 release. His studio work is to my mind astonishing -- and a great deal of his work was done with the K10 (that was the flagship model during the bulk of his sponsorship deal). This is an area where Pentax does not significantly lag behind the big two -- studio work. For more examples of his stuff, just google "Benjamin Kanarek" -- it's worthwhile, especially if this is anything resembling the type of work she's interested in doing.

It easily can be argued that Canon and Nikon are markedly superior for action, sports, and even wildlife -- where AF speed, especially for fast moving subjects -- and FPS specs make things a whole lot easier. I use Pentax for birding -- not a strong suit for Pentax, but I also don't have to put food on the table with photography. . . Pro level support -- for repairs, rentals and loaners -- is an area where Canon and Nikon also excel -- and Pentax is just starting out.

Canon and Nikon also have a big edge in lens and accessory availability. But Pentax has a significant edge in quality primes under 100mm -- and offers in-body SR, so has stabilized lenses in all available FLS.

Nikon is far and away the leader in flash systems. AFAIK, Canon doesn't have that much over Pentax in this regard.

But realistically, this is mostly for "down the road". Your daughter is just starting out as a student -- historically, more pros -- at the starting point of their careers -- started out learning with a Pentax K1000 than any other film SLR. It was just a basic camera -- fully manual -- but that's what made it a great learning tool -- and the K10 offers a whole lot more. For the same price as a 50D, or a D300 with a kit lens, she can have the K10, an FA50 f1.4, and one or two Ltd Primes. For me, there would be no comparison. . . and the K10 is significantly smaller and lighter.

Objectively, there is very little difference between the IQ of any of the entry/midlevel DSLRs. Whether the feature set of each is appropriate, is something that is very subjective, and you really have to use the camera some to find this out. I'd rather start with a $250 body (well acutally free!) and decide from there than make a $1000+ purchase only to find that I really don't like to lug that big ol' body around. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 3:45 PM   #10

Your daughter isn't a Pro, so she doesn't need a Pro camera and when she becomes one she can decide what brand to buy on her own.

Amazing how the young today expect the best and most expensive equipment, from cell phones to cameras. Your gift is a generous one and the K10D is an extremely capable camera that someone that knows what they are doing can do great things with.

If she doesn't appreciate it, let her buy any camera she wants, but with her own money not yours.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote