Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2009, 6:57 PM   #1

Default Any K/M 2000 Users Here

I am sure that many folks will remember me. I am a long time Pentax DSLR user that has been around for a long time. Today, I had the chance to purchase a Pentax K/M 2000 (less than $$(US) 350.00) with the external flash, brand new, with a full Pentax guarantee at a great price. So, Pentaxians, here I am again. My last Pentax DSLR was the K-100D and then I did the Pentax Flash Tutorial. Where, with a really great amount of joint effort we explored the complexities of external flashes and how they applied to each Pentax DSLR model.

So did I do well on my purchase? I am not really sure, but how could I pass up a chance to get back into the Pentax DSLR camera game. Yes, I am still up to my same old gig. I am teaching digital cameras on cruise ships, so the passengers can take great photos of their cruise vacation and learn a good bit about the ports of call on the cruise. In fact, I am supposed to receive the camera tomorrow on 05/29 and we head out on another contract departing Barcelona on 06/02 for 6 weeks.

Opinions seem to be rather divided on the Pentax K/M 2000. www.dpreview did not like it, but, www.megapixel.net really liked the Pentax 2000 a lot. So please let me know if there are any Pentax 2000 users out there, please? How do you like the Pentax 2000? Is the IQ pretty good or just workable.

Now I have a chance to use those Pentax lenses that I have been giving a home to for more than a few years. its good to be back!

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2009, 7:59 PM   #2

Sarah,

I have a KM.

I also have a K10D...which I bought in Nov., 2007. Very happy with it, I use it for wildlife shots, vintage cars, etc.

I have the battery grip attached so it's a bit of a weight, especially for me as I'm older.

I bought a KM in April of this year and I'm very happy with it. I originally got it as a second camera..the light weight and compact size appealed to me. I use as a general carry around. I have it packed in a small Lowepro bag and carry both a Pentax 50mm f1.4 and the kit lens with it.

I originally was looking at the Canon G10 because of it's size and build quality. The design appeals to me also..the styling reminds me of my old Leica Rangefinder a bit.

I checked the picture quality of both the KM and the Canon G10 on websites that compare picture quality side by side at different ISO.

I preferred the quality provided by the KM when compared to the G10. It's hard to beat even a basic DSLR.

I know it's a question not so much of MP count but the size of the sensor.

I also liked the idea of my interchangeable Pentax lenses having another body that I could use...so for these reasons I decided on the KM.

I like the 18-55 kit lens except for the plastic lens mount....but that's probably age talking as I've had Pentax SLR's since '68....back in the days when the lenses and bodies had more metal.

Can't complain though...the lens, plastic or not...functions well.

I think you'll enjoy your K2000/KM..it's a great camera, lightweight, plenty of nice features. Kind of like a modern version ...technologically updated...K1000.

BTW, that's an excellent price...probably the best I've seen for a KM/K2000.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; May 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 8:31 PM   #3

Thanks very much, Les, for your reply-

Yes, I agree, it was too good a deal to pass up. The www.megapixel.net review of the camera coupled with the reviews that I read over at www.amazon.com screamed out: that is a great deal! So, I bit the bullet and pushed up my credit card, depending on my faith in Pentax, that I could not really go too far wrong.

It nice to be back in the Pentax fold. I hope, as always that I can make a measurable contribution to the Pentax Forum.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 28, 2009, 9:18 PM   #4

Sarah - Nice to "meet" you here - am a very new member of the forum, but have already taken nearly 4,000 shots with my K-m, and have been very pleased with most of the results. Will look forward to seeing your work!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 9:56 PM   #5

Hey Mole-

Its good to hear from you! Yes, I date back a long ways. None the less, I have always been a dedicated Pentax user. I have not been active in the Pentax Forum for some time. I am a professional digital camera instructor who pays the bills by teaching digital camera on cruise ships.

A great opportunity came cruising by my eyes today, and I decided to make a grab for it. It was a K/M 2000 with the external flash, brand new with a 1 year Pentax warranty. I grabbed it, after reading the reviews first at www.dpreview.com who did not think much of the camera. Then, when I read the review at www.megapixel.net, which was quite positive, my hopes began to raise up the scale a good
bit.
To make a long story short, I went for it and purchased the K/M 2000 and the external flash for $(US) 350.00. I hope that I got a good deal. It at least let me get back into the Pentax DSLR Forum.

I am one of those geeky people who really loves external flash. Bounce flash is actually beautiful light medium! In fact, I wrote the Pentax Flash Tutorial several years ago, right here on this Forum.

So many thanks for checking in and letting me know that I am not the only K/M 2000 user in this Forum.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; May 28, 2009 at 9:59 PM.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:26 PM   #6

Hi, Sarah. No, I haven't bought a K2000, but pretty much decided that I'd buy one if anything happens to my K100. Mole's pictures convince me that it's a really capable camera, and I like the fact its so light. Let us know how it does on your next assignment.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 10:33 PM   #7

Hi Harriet-

Its great to hear from you again. Its very nice indeed to be back in the Pentax DSLR Forum fold again. The K/M 2000 was my vehicle for re-joining the "fold." Perhaps I will want to upgrade even further as time goes by.

The k-20 is at an all time low price right now. For me, I am just getting my feet back on the ground.

Sarah Joyce
Old May 29, 2009, 12:00 AM   #8

Hi Sarah, just want to say Welcome Home! A whistle stop apparently, but anyway. I think you hit the Baltic at a time with unusually nice weather for the season, how did you find it? Any pictures to post? Where are you heading from Barcelona?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 12:11 AM   #9

Welcome back, Sarah. On this forum we have heard nothing but good about that camera. Let's face it - competition has moved technology along so far that there just is not a poor DSLR on the market today, entry level or no. All of Pentax's DSLRs are very capable, and the low-cost entry level models may be all that some people will need. They also serve as second bodies for more "advanced" photographers because they are smaller and lighter, have good IQ to boot, and make attractive walk-around packages to carry without causing as much fatigue (all reasons that will help boost sales of the more expensive K7, too).

Last edited by penolta; May 29, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 12:28 AM   #10

Kjell-

Wow! It is great to hear from you once more. Thank you!

Our contract, rather than our favorite Baltic Capital circuit, is in the Med. We sail from Barcelona to Cannes, to Livorno, to Rome, to Naples, to Santorini, to Athens, to Dubronik, to a double overnight in Venice, before we turn around and head back through the same ports to Barcelona. Yes, we do it multiple times from 06/03 to 07/21/09. i should have more than a few photo samples for you.

Yes, Kjell, given the choice, we would prefer to do this gig in the Baltic, but as you most probably know, the Cruise Line calls the tune that we dance to whatever is on their CD.

Thanks for the nice hello! I am really happy to be back in the Pentax DSLR fold, even with my less than amazing Pentax DSLR, the K/M 2000 camera! Whoa! it is not one of those unusual white ones! is that OK?

Sarah Joyce