Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2009, 8:19 PM   #1

Default A Startling Discovery...

I have noticed lately that I'm not as happy with the results of my images when I post them on line.
I thought it was more the fault of my display adapter driver than anything but, couldn't seem to find the problem. going to another forum and searching for others with a similar problem, I discovered that others were having IQ problems when using Mozilla Fire Fox as there browser compared to IE. I didn't see how that could make a difference but went ahead and checked it out.
Well... as avid fan of Mozilla, I hate to say this but, it sucks compared to IE for viewing images on line! I feel like I just got a new Hi Def display! to make sure it wasn't my imagination I opened both IE and Mozilla on the same monitor and tiled them so I could view the same image on both browsers at the same time. check it out and see if it doesn't make a difference you too and let me know.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2009, 9:42 PM   #2

Goldwinger-

Those of us that use MAC computers really do not have a choice. All we can use is Mozilla.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 9:53 PM   #3

GW

I like you, am a diehard Mozilla Fan. So, I just tried your little Experiment. I cannot agree with your Experience. Looks Equally as Good in either.
Maybe the fact that i Do Some Gaming and have a Good Video card makes a difference. Not sure

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 10:12 PM   #4

Goldwinger,

I did the same experiment and see no difference.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 10:30 PM   #5

I'm using Apple's Safari and love it. Don't miss IE at all, could care less that Microsoft no longer offers it for Macs.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:28 PM   #6

On Windows 7 RC I used Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3 and can not see any difference.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:37 PM   #7

I use Safari and Opera on the Mac, and can see little difference in them. I haven't felt the need for Firefox, so I can't offer any advice on that score, but I wonder if there are some settings in the browser that can be adjusted to improve things - or perhaps even on your monitor.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:46 PM   #8

Folks-

I guess that settles it. My apologies to to Goldwinger. But it appears to be a dead issue. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 3:22 AM   #9

GW,
I hate color profiles and settings, just because no screen gives the same result, all programs have their own way of interpreting them. And when they don't use them they still do strange things with them.

For web browsing I use about anything to view webpages (especially at work - web application development ) and i don't think there exists a perfect webbrowser, but I have a favorite.

This is my 5c about the current browsers I use.

IE7: no color profiles, extremely slow (*)
IE8: no color profiles and 3 times faster than extremely slow, so still slow (*)
Firefox 3.0: they talk a lot about going to use color profiles but I don't see a difference, faster than IE8. (*)
Flock 2.0: build with the same code as firefox 3.0 but has some enhancements so that it is better than firefox 3.0 [my previous favorite browser, still use it a lot]
Opera: really don't use it much, but would rate it in the firefox 3.0 range (*)
Google chrome 1: (build with the same core as safari), faster than firefox only still doesn't do color profiles. (*)
Google chrome 2 beta: real fast, but still isn't where I would want to use it. Removing it from my system wasn't without problems. (but it's a beta)

Safari 3.0: uses color profiles, really like the colors that are produced.
As fast as google chrome, and ... imho better.

The Winner: Safari 4.0 (beta): scary browser, works so much faster than those mentioned above that its in a different leage, great color support, marvelous interface for history, bookmarks, favorite sites.
I'm using this as my default browser now.

(*) use them only to check how pages are rendered, and stylesheets are messed up.

cheers

Ronny

Last edited by rhermans; May 29, 2009 at 5:19 AM.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 6:55 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Firefox 3.0: they talk a lot about going to use color profiles but I don't see a difference, faster than IE8. (*)
Firefox 3.0 supports color management. It's just not enabled by default.

You can use the hidden config screens in Firefox to set it. Type this in the address bar:

about:config

Then, scroll down to this setting and set it to true (you can double click on it to change it):

gfx.color_management.enabled

You can set a display profile if desired by entering in the profile you want to use in this setting (it will use the profile set by the operating system if left blank).

gfx.color_management.display_profile

Here's a free add-on that makes it easy to enable that feature without using the config screens:

http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891

It's my understanding that Firefox 3.5 will have it enabled by default (but, I haven't checked any of the betas to tell for sure). You can get Firefox 3.5 Beta 4 from here (available for Mac, Windows, Linux):

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote