Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 28, 2009, 10:33 PM   #1

Default The K7 as an HDR camera

This is very interesting, perhaps even a little exciting - maybe something to look forward to for those intimidated by HDR processing!

In an article entitled

Quote:
The Pentax K-7: The era of in-camera High Dynamic Range Imaging has arrived!

HDR capture mode on this new SLR combines three shots for an estimated 17 stop EV range
and written by Jack Howard, author of Practical HDRI : High Dynamic Range Imaging for Photographers

the following quotes appear:

Quote:
Even before factoring in the dedicated first of its kind in-camera High Dynamic Range capture mode, the Pentax K-7 is a winner for HDRI shooters. Many other manufacturers would be wise to take a look at the creative controls and feature set that Pentax put into the K-7 for HDR-minded photographers, particularly at this $1,299 US List price point:

One-touch Auto Exposure Bracketing burst setting options.

+/-2 EV spacing for 3 or 5 shots for AEB capture gives an exposure range that is wide enough for many HDR scenes--something that is so lacking on too many models, including the Canon EOS 5D Mark II!

5.2 frames per second burst, offers fast capture of the AEB sequence.

User-selectable Adobe DNG RAW mode is already compatible with all HDR programs without waiting for the next round of RAW support upgrades.

This set of features alone is enough to the make the Pentax K-7 a 2009 HDR SLR All-Star. Add the impressive in-camera HDR processing to the mix, and it's in a league of its own.
and

Quote:
The Pentax K-7 is a game changer. The era of in-camera HDR begins today.

And we are off to a very good start!
The entire article (with photographs from an actual functioning example) can be seen at:

http://www.adorama.com/alc/blogartic...mid=80238&jb=0

Last edited by penolta; May 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2009, 11:21 PM   #2

I had picked up on the bigger bracketing range and Ev options the K7 will have, along with the in-camera HDR option. I'll be interested to see what the results are like, whether it will be just hype or a good alternative to auto-bracketing and software.

I definitely have learned to appreciate the one touch exposure bracketing with the K20.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 11:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I'll be interested to see what the results are like, whether it will be just hype or a good alternative to auto-bracketing and software.
Unless I misinterpret the article, he illustrates some of the exposures in changing panels, showing HDR shots in one panel and bracketed ones in another. - they are small, but you can get an idea of the difference that he sees. Given his experience with HDR, I think his opinion carries some weight. It may remain to see how it stacks up against high end HDR out of camera processing, but I bet it is better than nothing. Stuff like this is wearing down my natural buyers resistance against jumping at new things without seeing others experience first and waiting for the initial bugs to get worked out.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Stuff like this is wearing down my natural buyers resistance against jumping at new things without seeing others experience first and waiting for the initial bugs to get worked out.
Hi penolta,

I THINK I'm gonna wait a bit. . . but that's what I said to myself about the K20 -- wait for the reviews, early adopters impressions, and for the price to be discounted a little. 2 days after the first reports of deliveries, and a $50 discount from an online dealer, and I was in. . . this time I expect to excercise more control. . .

. . .I'll probably last at least a week. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 12:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
I THINK I'm gonna wait a bit. . .
Scott
I don't know, Scott. I have a feeling that the camera will either sell out the initial run in presales or else the introduction will fall flat. Which do you want to take a chance on?
Old May 29, 2009, 10:34 AM   #6

I waited for the K20 - all of 3 weeks (and bought locally for full price). Didn't get as far as the formal reviews, spent time looking at people who bought the first ones, then jumped. I'm trying very hard to be patient. Maybe I'll manage to get to 4 weeks. I'll probably not buy locally - the camera store that's collected so much of my business says that they aren't going to be stocking Pentax in-store any more. If I want anything, it will have to be special order. Can't decide if I want to order the K-7 through them, just to prove that there are people that want Pentax, or skip them and go to one of the big resellers like B&H.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 10:50 AM   #7

I do have to say that HDR interests me - very much, and this feature does appear that they have implemented it well, size weight, AF, larger screen along with a number of other features. I do have the K20 now, and I am just going to have to make do (for me its a large jump in capability). After getting the K100, I managed to suffer through the K10 and K20, the K200 along with the K2000 introductions without feeling the over riding need to run out and upgrade .... until the K20 broke $700 and weighing that against the amount of time it will take the K7 to break that barrier, I think I will just have to suffer through all of this.

I do think that the K7 will do very well on its introduction. I do however think that there are a few more items that they could slide in (like a DOF calculator on the back screen).

I think I just might go out and take a picuture....

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 10:53 AM   #8

The K-7 is clearly a step ahead. Once again that is good for Pentax.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 5:53 PM   #9

I like a lot of the features, some of the ones I like are not the high profile upgrades. For nature shooting and events the quiet shutter looks like a good idea. I am hoping the improved focusing will allow use of TC with DA* 300mm, my TC works better on my Sigma 150 500mm, and even better on my Tokina 80 400mm with screw drive. I am glad to see Pentax stop chasing pixels and work on improving the current sensor noise and dynamic range. If HDR mode would allow all three shots to be taken on one shutter release (do not thik so) you coul do HDR hand held.

Ed
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2009, 6:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I don't know, Scott. I have a feeling that the camera will either sell out the initial run in presales or else the introduction will fall flat. Which do you want to take a chance on?
Hi penolta,

I think that there's a good chance that the initial shipment will sell out in preorders, but I also think that Pentax is anticipating this, so there will not be much of a wait for 2nd shipment. . . unless there's a chip in the K20 that makes it stop working when the first K-7 clears customs, I'll be okay. . .

. . .for now

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote