Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 30, 2009, 10:18 PM   #11

I have to wonder why an incentive is necessary at this early date - perhaps presales haven't been up to expectations and they want to encourage buyers to buy now and not wait to see if any bugs appear at first, by assuring them of adequate warranty protection against future failures. If so why is there no mention of the warranty extension on the web site or in a press release (the 15% discount was included in the initial press release announcing the camera, but is otherwise unmentioned on the website)? When I bought my K20 there was such a program in effect, but I didn't know about it until it appeared on the site well into the period, and long past the "get it on registration" deadline for my purchase - when I inquired about it I was first denied and then later granted it (I may have even seen an honest to goodness hard print ad for it somewhere - imagine that!). This happened to at least one other forum member, too. I don't know if the right hand knows what the left hand is doing up there. Maybe it is the low oxygen pressure at Colorado's 5,000 foot altitude.

The sales of the K2000 and K200 seem to be going well enough, but the price cuts on the K10 and K20 are indicative of overestimation of the demand for them, and too many left unsold at or near the end of their runs. Given their decision to withhold the 645D from this market based on projections of low sales, if the K7 underperforms it may be passible, however unlikely, that they could withdraw from the American market entirely.

I haven't gotten that email yet, but if I do, I might go ahead and preorder just to give them one small vote of confidence in the camera, but I would have to have a copy to retain in case I should need proof of the offer - that is how little confidence I have in Hoya's management at the moment. What a mood swing this has caused.

Last edited by penolta; May 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 1:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I have to wonder why an incentive is necessary at this early date - perhaps presales haven't been up to expectations and they want to encourage buyers to buy now and not wait to see if any bugs appear at first, by assuring them of adequate warranty protection against future failures. If so why is there no mention of the warranty extension on the web site or in a press release (the 15% discount was included in the initial press release announcing the camera, but is otherwise unmentioned on the website)? When I bought my K20 there was such a program in effect, but I didn't know about it until it appeared on the site well into the period, and long past the "get it on registration" deadline for my purchase - when I inquired about it I was first denied and then later granted it (I may have even seen an honest to goodness hard print ad for it somewhere - imagine that!). This happened to at least one other forum member, too. I don't know if the right hand knows what the left hand is doing up there. Maybe it is the low oxygen pressure at Colorado's 5,000 foot altitude.

The sales of the K2000 and K200 seem to be going well enough, but the price cuts on the K10 and K20 are indicative of overestimation of the demand for them, and too many left unsold at or near the end of their runs. Given their decision to withhold the 645D from this market based on projections of low sales, if the K7 underperforms it may be passible, however unlikely, that they could withdraw from the American market entirely.

I haven't gotten that email yet, but if I do, I might go ahead and preorder just to give them one small vote of confidence in the camera, but I would have to have a copy to retain in case I should need proof of the offer - that is how little confidence I have in Hoya's management at the moment. What a mood swing this has caused.
Hi penolta,

Well. . . that seems to be looking at things from something of a negative perspective. I was seeing it as a smart move to help ensure an enthusiastic reception of their turn in design philosophy in a slow economy -- but your view is equally valid. I'll buy one early, but I really need to hear from preorder adopters before I make the move. I think that my enjoyment of the K10 suffered a bit from buying early (they made some significant changes in the AF system somewhere during the middle of the production run). I just want to be a little assured that there aren't any early run snafus.

. . . but with a 3 yr warranty there would be lots of time to get updates and I certainly wouldn't be without a camera if I needed to send it in . . .hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

My brain is starting to hurt

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 8:43 PM   #13

There seems to be a group of us that are almost egging each other on, who's going to be the first here to get one. I keep going back and forth whether I want to get one right away or wait a while. I am another one who regretted getting the K10 right away - mine had some AF problems but they weren't bad enough (and I use manual focus lenses quite a bit) for me to figure it out until well after the warranty period was up. On the other hand, the problems I was having with it was frustrating enough that I was an early adopter of the K20, which has worked out very well. So I'm really on the fence about whether I should pre-order, wait a month or two or get one at all.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 9:28 PM   #14

My wife would kill me if I ordered a $1300 body, especially after ordering the K20. I am set. However, I was wondering if the 15% lens reduction offer is an inducement to purchase the WR kit lenses?

I will admit that the 3 year warranty was a bonus. I was on the fence in terms of waiting for the new body, but knowing it was going to be a bit too expensive, or just going for the 20, with the great discount and extended warranty to boot. My skill level and ability needs to get significantly better with what I have, in order to make something like the K7 worth wild.

I can not see Hoya pulling out of the US market. Even if their US market share is significantly smaller than Canon and Nikon, the US market size for Pentax should be respectful overall when compared worldwide. What I do not understand is Hoya's reluctance in having Tokina provide or at least Pentax rebrand Tokina's new lenses like the 11-16mm. If it is such a good lens, why provide additional reasons for Pentax customers go to another camera brand to use Tokina glass? This would certainly be a way to round out Pentax lenses.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:14 PM   #15

I pulled this from another board but here is the list of the rebates on the lens.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/613635-post39.html
Quote:
DA 17-70 - $90
DA 55-300 - $60
DA 10-17 - $90
DA 40 Limited - $60
DA* 16-50 - $100
AF 360FGZ - $25
AF 540FGZ - $25
8x36 DCF NV binos - $30
10x36 DCF NV binos - $30
8x25 UCF WP - $20
10x25 UCF WP - $20
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:44 PM   #16

What are the details of the 3-yr warranty offer? I never got that announcement from Pentax. Is it restricted to preorders, and if so, only from Pentax itself, or from other vendors as well? There is no mention of it on the Pentax website, nor anywhere else that I have seen.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote