Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 30, 2009, 7:59 PM   #1

Default image stabilization and light weight - travel tripods

I had taken some night pictures in San Diego with some pretty long exposure times (15 seconds) using my newly acquired K20 and the DA16-45/f4, a light weight travel tripod, wireless release, mirror up, and everything else. The pictures were very good (I thought), however I was expecting just a bit better. At the time I chalked it up to just the bobbing of the boats in the harbor. I even disabled the shake reduction or image stabilization, because I was using a tripod (so much for actually reading the manual).

Well, the light plastic travel tripod I had been using for about 4 years, had one of the legs separate, so this afternoon I was surfing for some tripod information, looking to acquire a new and possibly light weight travel tripod. I came across this web site that had an interesting analysis down towards the bottom....

http://photo.net/equipment/velbon/343e/

I now think that the vibration came from the tripod (road vibration from behind me, etc.). I have been somewhat haphazard in the past about trying to remember to turn SR off when using the tripod, however now - it is just going to stay on unless the camera is sitting on concrete. This also leads to yet another problem of remembering to turn SR back on.

In the past I never saw any problems induced by having SR on, and now with it off, I see just enough - to understand that a somewhat less than rock solid tripod will transmit vibrations (also it can be the material that does not dampen the vibrations) - so in the case of light weight tripods - I am gonna use SR.

As to getting a better tripod - well still going for a light weight travel one again, I can not see getting a monster - it will not fit in my luggage, and will just defeat the purpose, so thinking of the VELBON MAXi 343E. It will fill the bill and is an upgrade to the one I have now. It has the features I like - clip legs (not twist), and looses the pan and tilt head. It is the right size and weight. And now that I feel confident that I have tracked down my stability problem, I think that everything will work out much better.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2009, 9:57 PM   #2

I have usually left the SR on all the time. It is interesting to note that the new K7 has dispensed with the SR switch - SR is on by default unless turned off in the menus.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 6:24 AM   #3

Most of the time I turn of the sr when talking long exposures, and ... I can't remember seeing any for me noticeable differences when I don't do it.
My biggest problem is turning it on again... because I dare to forget that.

Now I'm going to try if I do see a difference.

Ronny
Old May 31, 2009, 10:40 AM   #4

The general conclusion is that SR should be turned off. As to the tripod, I guess I am bad. About 4 years ago I purchased a $(US) 20.00 tripod at Walmart that fit into by luggage. It has become a "can't bust it" kind of tripod. it is still going strong.

In fact, we are just about to drive out of the driveway on another 2 month long contract.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
I have usually left the SR on all the time. It is interesting to note that the new K7 has dispensed with the SR switch - SR is on by default unless turned off in the menus.

I'd always left SR on -- until the K20. . . which is the first camera where I find it makes a significant difference. But I also started using the Amvona CFs at about the same time, so it might be the stability of the tripod. . . hmmmmm.

I think having the SR in the menu will be a good thing -- If there is a memory switch in the menu that will default back to SR ON when you turn the power switch off. That would be perfect for me -- all I'd have to do is get into the habit of turning it off when setting up on a pod -- and turning the camera off when I dismount it. With the external switch, one has to turn it off and on deliberately.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post

As to getting a better tripod - well still going for a light weight travel one again, I can not see getting a monster - it will not fit in my luggage, and will just defeat the purpose, so thinking of the VELBON MAXi 343E. It will fill the bill and is an upgrade to the one I have now. It has the features I like - clip legs (not twist), and looses the pan and tilt head. It is the right size and weight. And now that I feel confident that I have tracked down my stability problem, I think that everything will work out much better.
Hi IO,

I have a previous model -- Velbon Ultra MAXi -- which has similar specs but less features. It's amazingly sturdy for it's size/weight. The differences that are most apparent are the lack of 3 angle positions for the legs and it uses internal twist locks in the legs that make it incredibly fast to set up. I got it for the Lumix FZs I was using at the time, and haven't really considered using it with my DSLRs because I "knew" it wouldn't be stable enough. . . but I made that decision before SR. . .hmmmmmm

Thanks for posting this link -- something new to try -- also, since I use the 1.7x AFA more often than not, I can dial in any FL I want, so SR is essentially adjustable. . . looks like I have to go out and play.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote