Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 31, 2009, 9:01 PM   #1

Default Question

A lot of you probably remember my hunt for the Pentax or Tamron 18-250 for my vacation. My vacation is now over, but while I was gone, the guy that had sold me the Pentax 18-250 I returned has contacted me stating it's repaired and he's offering it to me first.

My question - After I had returned the Pentax I discovered that the Tamron version is macro and also has the six year warranty as opposed to the Pentax one year warranty.

I'm looking for opinions on whether, since my vacation is over and the time limit is over, should I just watch for the Tamron for the approximately $80-$100 more. Is it worth it?

I brought my Sigma 28-80 on vacation and did find that having the macro on that lens did come in handy a few times. So, I think I might like having the macro in an all-in-one lens.

I'll post some photos from vacation once I get them sorted through. Scenery of California, Denver Rockies game against the Padres, downtown Denver and could have had some shots of the Baltimore airport, but we were instructed before landing that everything had to be tied down. We had a little emergency landing as they were afraid our landing gear wasn't working. They handled it very well - the stewardesses, pilots, whole crew. I certainly don't want to go through that again, though! I'm not that crazy about flying anyway. But, when they are giving us instructions before landing about leaving all our things on the plane and immediately get off once we are on ground, what to do if the plane catches fire, how to use the slide, etc. There were a lot of prayers being said on that plane.

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I'm faced here with 1 1/2 weeks worth of e-mail to get through.

Thanks for any input. Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2009, 9:42 PM   #2

For my purposes, for a general purpose lens I would want the macro capability. It is very nice to focus close up. For a complex piece of expensive equipment, an extra 5 years of warranty would also be nice.

Worth the extra cost? That I cannot say. But I can say that if you really want the capability or if it died after 3 years, you would kick yourself for not spending the extra money now.
Sharpsshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3

I got curious, so I looked up the specifications for both lenses on B&H's website. They are both the same as far as macro capability - Pentax just doesn't say "macro" in the name of the lens. They both will magnify to 1:3.5.

So the main difference between the two lenses becomes the warranty and the fact that a Tamron from somewhere else will cost more than the repaired Pentax lens. How much is that warranty worth to you? That's really hard to say, and would the repaired Pentax lens come with any type of warranty at all (since it was sold, returned, repaired and then sold again, but you are the original buyer so that might count for something).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:34 AM   #4

Patty

You just cannot catch a break, can you!!!! Utimatly the decision is yours. IF money is Significatly different and you dont mind a repaird lens with no warrenty Go For it. If you would rather have the warrenty then wait.
Me personally, i would wait and Get the Tamron. But thats me

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:18 AM   #5

Difficult question,for as far as I know the two lenses are the same (18-250), except for the logo. Pricing in my neighborhood is the same for both. Only the 18-270 is 100€ more.
So if the difference is the warranty ... then I would go for the one with warranty, the 100€ makes me doubt but I think I would go for the warranty anyway.

Ronny
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:46 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Another option is the recently released, but not yet available Sigma 18-250 HSM). The HSM is really attractive to me and I want to wait for some feedback before deciding. Now if they will only match Tamron's 6 year warranty, I'd be willing to pay a premium for it.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the input. I'll do a little research. Had forgotten about the Sigma one coming out. Although, the MSRP for it is $800. Might be a huge deciding factor since the $400 for the Tamron is pushing it for me.

The points on the longer warranty for such a complicated lens were in my thoughts, too. Makes me feel more comfortable buying it if they stand behind it that long.

Patty
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:45 PM   #8

I can't say much about the performance of the lens, I am sure both will do very well. But I can say that the Pentax version will have a better resale value in the future when you do decided to sell it.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by superakuma View Post
I can't say much about the performance of the lens, I am sure both will do very well. But I can say that the Pentax version will have a better resale value in the future when you do decided to sell it.
Hi Patty,

I was about to make this very comment. If the Pentax is indeed fixed, it should remain good unless it's dropped or experiences some other trauma. Combine lower cost and better resale, and add Quick Shift focusing and SMC coatings (I'm assuming) and I'd see this as winning from both ends.

Most of my lenses were bought used, without a warranty, and I've never needed to have any work done on any of them (there are quite a few. . . ) -- and they get thrown around quite a bit. . . but if the warranty gives you peace of mind, that might, in the end, be more important than spending less.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:21 AM   #10

I did some comparisons between the specs on the two lenses last night. When going to the Pentax and Tamron sites, I don't see that the Pentax says it's macro. (Although, except for the word macro, I'm not sure what to look for.) I did notice that the two descriptions on the B&H site are pretty much the same for both lenses.

Can someone tell me what to look for on the Pentax to see if it really does macro? Is it just a function of I can get closer to focus on something?

Thanks, Patty