Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:21 PM   #11

Nice going Mike!
I like the next to the last shot where the pilot is looking dead at you.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Great series , nr5 being my favorite closely followed by the coastguard.

Ronny
I really enjoyed the coastguard boat, I think the guy driving the boat was having a hell of a time in those waves. Notch another one up for #5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Nice going Mike!
I like the next to the last shot where the pilot is looking dead at you.
You know, I never even noticed that for some reason, I don't know why. That's actually the co-pilot but it's cool that I caught that shot with him looking.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:35 PM   #13

Mike,
You did good! Air shows certainly don't come up often enough around WNY to get many opportunities in to perfect your skills.

There's a show at Geneseo July 10, 11, and 12 that is primarily WWII vintage planes. I haven't been there in many years, but it used to be very well done.

It doesn't look like they get the participation they used to, but it might be worth going to - http://www.1941hag.org/files_airshow...craft2009.html.

Jim

Last edited by a200user; Jun 1, 2009 at 9:29 PM.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 1:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
Mike,
You did good! Air show certainly don't come up often enough around WNY to get many opportunities in to perect your skills.

There's a show at Geneseo July 10, 11, and 12 that is primarily WWII vintage planes. I haven't been there in many years, but it used to be very well done.

It doesn't look like they get the participation they used to, but it might be worth going to - http://www.1941hag.org/files_airshow...craft2009.html.

Jim
Yeah, tell me about it. The airshow in Niagara Falls is only about every 3 years now. They are supposed to do it again next year. I knew about the Geneseo show. My only problem now is that since friday I'm on a new schedule with tues/wed off at work and I won't have enough time on the weekends to do alot of travelling around as I was doing before. I have to play things by ear now. I'd love to see these vintage planes but I don't know if I'll have the chance to go.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:03 PM   #15

Hi Mike,

I think that you did really well.

I think that you will find that the softness at 300 mm can also be mitigated by increasing the ISO and stopping down a bit. You can minimize any noise with good exposure. With my K20, I'd rather shoot at lower ISO, but I really have few qualms about using anything up to about 1250 for stuff that I want to print up to about 8x10.

I rarely use NR software anymore, especially with the K20. The fine grain of the noise that's there is not really noticeable in the print, and what's there can usually be reduced to inconsequential by resizing down alone. If I can get an acceptable image file at 1600 pixels on the long side, I'm usually happy with the prints I get at 8x10 (160 DPI). I like at least 2000 pixels on the long side (200 DPI) for my bird shots with a lot of fine feather detail, and anything above that is just gravy.

I took the liberty to PP your passing shot with Focus Magic. It has two modes, one for motion blur, and one that deconvolutes focus errors. I used just the motion blur on this shot, first selecting the front plane. I used two passes, considering your explanation of panning for the rear plane. With this program, you specify the direction and intensity of the correction that you want to apply, so the first application was in the direction the rear plane was flying, since you were panning to follow it's motion. The second application was in the direction of the front plane. Both ended up being about 5 pixels in intensity, and I reduced the effect to 75% because 100% is usually too much IMO. This correction took about 3-4 minutes total, and I could do considerably better with some additional playing and starting with the original resolution, of course.

What do you think? -- for me, this is an indispensible program. I use it as a plugin for PSPX2, which is my main PP app (but this one was done in PSP IX, which I keep for quick and dirty PP). The focus correction mode is my default sharpener, but the motion blur correction mode can be very useful.

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi Mike,

I think that you did really well.

I think that you will find that the softness at 300 mm can also be mitigated by increasing the ISO and stopping down a bit. You can minimize any noise with good exposure. With my K20, I'd rather shoot at lower ISO, but I really have few qualms about using anything up to about 1250 for stuff that I want to print up to about 8x10.

I rarely use NR software anymore, especially with the K20. The fine grain of the noise that's there is not really noticeable in the print, and what's there can usually be reduced to inconsequential by resizing down alone. If I can get an acceptable image file at 1600 pixels on the long side, I'm usually happy with the prints I get at 8x10 (160 DPI). I like at least 2000 pixels on the long side (200 DPI) for my bird shots with a lot of fine feather detail, and anything above that is just gravy.

I took the liberty to PP your passing shot with Focus Magic. It has two modes, one for motion blur, and one that deconvolutes focus errors. I used just the motion blur on this shot, first selecting the front plane. I used two passes, considering your explanation of panning for the rear plane. With this program, you specify the direction and intensity of the correction that you want to apply, so the first application was in the direction the rear plane was flying, since you were panning to follow it's motion. The second application was in the direction of the front plane. Both ended up being about 5 pixels in intensity, and I reduced the effect to 75% because 100% is usually too much IMO. This correction took about 3-4 minutes total, and I could do considerably better with some additional playing and starting with the original resolution, of course.

What do you think? -- for me, this is an indispensible program. I use it as a plugin for PSPX2, which is my main PP app (but this one was done in PSP IX, which I keep for quick and dirty PP). The focus correction mode is my default sharpener, but the motion blur correction mode can be very useful.

Scott
I like what you did there, looks pretty good for a quick and dirty attempt. I can put up a version at the original resolution later if you want to try your hand at that.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:09 PM   #17

Very nice, Mike. I think I like the 4th one best.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 2:14 AM   #18

Very

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 4:45 AM   #19

For many years I made an annual week's trek to Osh Kosh to take part in their air show and clinics. I was flying at the time but never flew in to the event. I took lots of pictures, but the air shots were generally poor due to the inferior equipment and worse photographer. The greatest picture I got was of a Concorde making a touchdown. Its cockpit section folds down when it is landing so the pilots will have a better look at the runway. That is pronounced in my photo, while the radical attitude of the fuselage looks like a big barn door sailing at you. Memorable. But the best shots were of all the wonderful variety of old airplanes and new designs as they rested on the ground. I was particularly impressed by the Beech Staggerwing, the Bee-Gee racer, The non-stop, round-the world plane designed by the Rutaan brothers, and the three-quarter scale WW I fighters. I have these shots on slides, but will try to digitize them and show them here in the future.
Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:21 AM   #20

Default wow!

Beauiful shots! nicely done.
tbanting is offline   Reply With Quote