Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:53 AM   #1

Default help is my 360fgz flash broken?

ive got a 360fgz flash and it refuses to go to PTTL either conected to the camera or not connected.
when its connected to the camera, the camera doesnt seem to know its connected. ive tried everything i can thing of
the onboard flash works fine,
i tried pressing the illuminate button on the camera to see if it lit up the flashes panel but it doesnt.
am i right in thinking that i should be able to just turn on the flash and it should be in PTTL ? even if the not on the camera?
when i turn it on i only have TTL , A, M and SB available by pressing the mode button
in wireless mode i only have A and M available, but when set to A the flash does fire.
i have gone step by step through the manual but im at a loss
i even tried changing the batteries
its months since i used it, its just been sat in its box so i doupt its been damaged and it worked fine the last time i used it.

any suggestions anyone?
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:49 PM   #2

Hey Dave,
I'm no expert on these flash units and I don't have the 360, only the 540. this is just a guess but, it could be the contacts are not making a good connection. Try cleaning the contacts on both the camera and the flash with a pencil eraser and brush away the residue with and old tooth brush or the like. also make sure the camera is turned on first, then the flash. hope this helps, good luck!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:10 PM   #3

thanks GW but i allready tried that, although as it wont work in PTTL even in wireless mode i was kind of cluthing at straws.

you know your 540, well when you turn on your flash, when its not conected to a camera or in wireless mode, does it still show PTTL mode?
i thought it did, but i cant remember now, ive only ever used it a few times

Dave
Old Jun 1, 2009, 5:49 PM   #4

Yes it does, Dave.
Sure sorry to hear its not working right. funny, that it works in A mode though, you'd think it would either work all the way or not at all.

Old Jun 1, 2009, 6:13 PM   #5

Hi Kazuya,

I just put some batteries in my 360, and when turned all the way on, it shows P-TTL as the default mode. Off camera, when the switch is slid to the center position (wireless) it defaults to "A" with "M" the only alternative.

The only thought that I have -- and there's no basis to think that it might make a difference, is -- is your camera set to wireless in the FN menu? I can't think of any other setting that might make any difference.

I'd call Pentax service or customer service and see if they might be able to help. Ask to speak to the person that is most familiar with the flash system. I've read in another forum that the knowledge level can vary greatly depending on who you talk to.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:01 PM   #6

When I turn the 360 to the on position when not connected to a camera it comes on to the P-TTL mode. Does yours not behave this way when not connected to a camera? You can achieve P-TTL in wireless mode by making sure that the flash is on Slave 1 not Slave 2. Slave 2 makes the flash behave as a dumb slave. Slave 1 puts you in P-TTL. To change Slave setting; push and hold the "Light" button for a few seconds, the Slave setting will be displayed. To change Slave setting push the "S" button, but make sure you are in Slave 1. Push the "Light" button again to exit.

Once you have ensured that you are in Slave 1, turn the "on/off" switch to the center setting for wireless. It should show P-TTL mode. At least that's the way mine behaves.
And as snostorm mentioned make make sure you are not set to wireless on the camera FN settings.

Otherwise, if the only time you can not get into P-TTL mode is when you are connected to the camera hot shoe, I would say it's a contact issue.

Last edited by a200user; Jun 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
When I turn the 360 to the on position when not connected to a camera it comes on to the P-TTL mode. Does yours not behave this way when not connected to a camera? .
no, when switch mine on (no camera involved) with all the switches set to how they are in the manual, it shows TTL
nothing i do will make it display PTTL

the slave channel had reset itself to 2, after changeing it to 1, i now get PTTL when the switch is set to W, it even flashes when i fire the camera, but theres no distance bar showing on the flash and it doesnt auto zoom as it used to with the camera, its as if its flashing at its lowest power. its as if im using a M lens, but im not im using DA, in fact i even tried swapping lenses, just in case.

because i cant get PTTL to work in the on position with no camera involved i can only think that it must have a fault.

thanks for the help
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:30 PM   #8

just thought i would update you on the flash status
its back from pentax and working fine now, the report says its had a repair to the PCB switch.

i wont be posting any more pics in here as ive sold the pentax and bought a nikon, simply because of the better focusing system, no other eason, who knew 10 months ago id be photographing mainly horses jumping fences.
ive learnt a lot from the people in here so ill still be popping back in regularly to look at ya pics, and chat, the nikon forum doesnt seem half as active as this one

Dave
Old Jun 24, 2009, 5:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
i wont be posting any more pics in here as ive sold the pentax and bought a nikon,
Dave
sure hope you like buying IS with every lens you buy with that nikon..
byby
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:19 PM   #10

Hey Dave,
Glad you got the flash fixed but, sure going to miss your pix posted here.
Don't be a stranger, we'll try not to hold it against you for crossing over to the other side.
...Ya little traitor!