Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:23 PM   #1

Default Camera problems Question...

As most of you know, I've been having some rather strange camera problems with my K20 lately. Well I sent it back to Pentax last month with a list of symptoms and expressly told them they were intermittent, sometimes it worked fine other times not. The one thing that wasn't working that was constant, was the one push bracket button. it just doesn't work. well, they put it on there little computer tester, reset everything back to factory default, couldn't find anything wrong and shipped it back to me.
Still not working. Called them Tuesday and they said they were sorry but, all the could do was have me send it back and they'd have there service dept. look at it again... is this starting to sound familiar? Anyway, I have a question: in a low light situation, with my camera mounted on a tripod, 540 flash, Sigma 70-200mm set at 200mm and f:2.8 tested in all modes. why won't the camera let me select a shutter speed any faster than 1/90th sec no matter where I set the ISO? if I set the ISO to auto, it will choose the highest possible setting but, still won't let me increase shutter speed and in some situations, if I turn the e dial to a longer setting then try to go back up, it might only let me go to 1/60th sec. pushing the green button might take me to 4 or 8 sec.

today I tried it and it let me change shutter speed but, then it would select its own ISO and still be blown out! I'm getting really frustrated! Is it me, or the camera? how do I relate this to Pentax without having to send it back 6 times? somebody help before I go insane!

BTW, when I use the pop up flash, it sends a pre flash for focus assist but when I use the 540 it doesn't. is that normal?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:23 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

GW, let me take a stab at it.
Re. Max shutter speed with flash, I think the only way to get the camera to set a faster shutter speed is to switch the flash mode (on the flash) to High Speed Sync. On my K20D and Sigma 500DG Super flash, on Hi Speed Sync mode, I have shot at 1/1000th of a second to freeze motion on a humming bird. I beleive that there is some optimization routine in the camera that sets the shutter speed maximum of 1/180th of a second which is the fastest sync speed with the built in flash. BTW, Hi speed sync is not available on all shoe mount flashes.

Re. the pre-flash for focusing, the 540 (as does my Sigma) probably uses an infra red light to assist with focusing. If you set up your camera and flash in a totally dark room, and attempt to focus, you should see the infra red light illuminate. The light is located behind the red panel on the front of body of the flash.

Hope this helps...sorry to hear about your frustrations!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 4:58 PM   #3

GW,
lately I've been using my flash a lot, and I noticed having some problems when the flash isn't perfectly on the camera.
One of the things that are the first to go is the fp synchronisation.
Also not going near 1/180se.
Shutting the camera down, flash down putting everything back into it's correct position and starting them helps in my case.

Hope this helps

Ronny
Old Jun 12, 2009, 6:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
GW,
lately I've been using my flash a lot, and I noticed having some problems when the flash isn't perfectly on the camera.
One of the things that are the first to go is the fp synchronisation.
Also not going near 1/180se.
Shutting the camera down, flash down putting everything back into it's correct position and starting them helps in my case.

Hope this helps

Ronny
That is exactly the situation I have with my Sigma flash.

I had it on the K10D and now the K20D

I doesn't take much movement to upset it, even on the flash cord, off camera. The pins are so tiny, that the flash only needs to move a little and the proper sync is lost.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote