Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 5, 2009, 3:51 AM   #11

Magnificent series again Mole,

about the butterflies my fav there is nr3 because the light comes parallel to the wings creating more detail in them. Then 4 like the rolled up tongue better than shot nr 1, 2 is least great for composition but less for detail.
And this is really nitpicking, any shot on of them is great.

Have to agree with kjell though, you've got a dream job.

Ronny
Old Jun 5, 2009, 4:14 AM   #12

Love them all Mole. ... Superb !. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:46 AM   #13

Mole , great shots. #1 Butterfly does it for me but all are well done. bock1965
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:48 PM   #14

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions! It's interesting to hear the different perspectives on the Sulphur photo - you can see why I'm having a hard time choosing which to keep...

Jelpee - I only own one (decent) lens - the Tamron 18-250. Not much PP on these, just a bit of cropping and adjusting levels with PSE 2.0

Lou - I agree that the curled proboscis is much cuter, but the photo itself not as dynamic. Thanks for the appreciative words...

Roy, Rodney, Jack, Bock - glad you enjoyed them, and thanks for taking the time to comment!

Rodney - You'll have to tell me about elderberry/fungus magic!

Kjell & Ronny - Sorry, you can't have my job (no plans to retire anytime soon!!!) But it's not all just wandering around, enjoying His creation and taking pictures. I do have to work sometimes!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 1:16 PM   #15

the first and last of the sulphers are my favorite. the first, because the butterfly contrasts so nicely with the flowers behind it, and pops out more from that color background than from the green in the second one, while the angle is better than the third one. the last one, because it looks so precarious, the butterfly looks like he (or she?) could fall off at any moment, and you can see the little feet trying to hold on. (i guess i'm trying to say that i see a personality in the fourth picture, while the other ones are just any butterfly.)
also, the girl spangled skimmer is much prettier than the boy. is that just that you've gotten that much better at the photography, or are the females really just prettier?
also, i have to tell you that there's a brand og dried mushroom at the grocery store i go to called "fungus among-us" and i think of you every time i see it : )
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 2:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vole View Post
"snip"
also, i have to tell you that there's a brand og dried mushroom at the grocery store i go to called "fungus among-us" and i think of you every time i see it : )
LOL! nice to know someone thinks of you as a fungus! guess it could be worse...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 4:45 PM   #17

All are good. Re the butterflies for which you asked for critiques, I prefer sulfur #4, which has the best combination of (1) lighting on the butterfly and its perch and (2) the isolation from the background. The background in #1 is distracting, making the head less defined than the rest of the butterfly, and creating a blue halo effect around the butterfly's wings. In #2 the brighter flowers detract from the duller butterfly. In #3 the angle of lighting exaggerates the wing venation, which is good if that is what you are trying to show, but the butterfly needs to be brighter. jmo.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 2:30 PM   #18

All great shots, especially for the 18-250

Really love the dragonflies and the fungus

Dal

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:05 PM   #19

Dal - thanks - glad you liked them! I pretty much stick with the 18-250 for most of my shots...

Pen - Thanks for the input and suggestions - I appreciate your well-informed opinions!

GW - At least Miss Vole did not call me a fossil! Actually, she has known me all her life, and knows all my bad jokes! And maybe I remind her of a fungus because she thinks I'm a "fun guy" (fungi)!

Vole - thanks so much for your careful critique - a big help! There's probably several reasons why the male spangled skimmer doesn't look as pretty. They are beautiful insects, but not as patterned as the female. That shot was taken with my Canon Powershot, which has a much smaller sensor than the Pentax, and not as good optics. And I've probably taken over 5,000 photos since then - bound to get a little better with all that practice!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:22 PM   #20

On my laptop right now so hard for me to give an opinion. They'll look different on my desktop. I do like the fungus the best. Something about them that intrigues me. On my laptop the fourth butterfly is my favorite.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote