Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2009, 10:11 AM   #11

Mole,
Great shots - again!

I have a question prompted by a post on another forum regarding shake reduction. The user manual suggests that shake reduction is not effective when taking close ups, and touse a tripod. Did you have shake reduction on or off when taking these superb photos?

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:48 PM   #12

Rodney - Glad you liked them - thanks!

Ronny - that is an amazing little bug - I think it's some kind of midge, but have not had time to key it out yet. You probably already know this, but just in case - the best place to look for dragonflies is near water (that's where their young live), especially slower streams, muddy-bottomed creeks, and small ponds. We have lots of these habitats near us. Just for fun, here are two more dragonflies from today. Both are males - one a 12-spotted skimmer, the other a common whitetail.
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:52 PM   #13

Dal - glad you liked them - I too love the green, natural light of early summer meadows. Also I don't own a lot of equipment, so have to depend on the natural setting as much as possible!

Jim - thanks for the compliment! To answer your question, I usually leave SR on (afraid I will forget to turn it on otherwise). When using a tripod, I usually set it to the 2 second "self timer" option, which turns off SR and also locks up the mirror during exposure. (I have gotten some awful photos when I forgot to turn that option off on the next hand held shot!!) These were all handheld, some unplanned photos during some trail work, so did not have a tripod with me.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:23 PM   #14

thanks for the spangled skimmer shot! yes, he is pretty as well. i especially liked the chicory with a bee, though, as well as the widow skimmer. both have great color and composition. and, yes, i know that color is an accident of the animal, but it works really well in both of those images.

ps, go look at my new fireworks pictures, i put them in an album on my profile. i think that is what it is called...
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:24 PM   #15

and woah! i do like the twelve spotted guy! very nice.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 5:16 PM   #16

Vole - as always, very useful comments - thanks for your professional assistance. Thanks also for posting those recent photos in your album - I do like the first fireworks one best, but also love the mood of the night river scene!