Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:11 PM   #1

Default Dragonflies & Bee

These pictures were taken last year all with K100D and Vivitar Series 1 105mm 2.8 macro.

The cost for taking these was high as I contracted a seriously bad case of Poison Ivy (first time ever for me) while chasing through the meadow to capture
there striking poses.

I have tried to identify the species of Dragonfly. If I have erred please point it out to me. Critiques are welcome.

Common Baskettail, Epitheca cynosura (female)
F11, 1/200" ISO 400

Eastern Amberwing, Perithemis tenera (female)
F11, 1/320" ISO 400

Blue Dasher, Pachyoliplax longipennis (female)
F13, 1/80", ISO 400 Flash

Bee
F16, 1/180, ISO 200 Flash

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:24 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Outstanding color and clarity Lou! Love the bokeh on #2 and #3! Sorry to hear about the poison ivy

Last edited by Wingman; Jun 11, 2009 at 6:40 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 7:35 PM   #3

That 105 sure is a nice lens!
between you and Ronny, really makes me want one!
no no no,
no more lenses... save money, remember 12 step program...

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:56 PM   #4

Ah the price of of our hobby, poisoning as well. Great shots, all sharp.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:41 AM   #5

I guess all those gorgeous shots of dragonflies are slowly making me go out and take some shots of them. (been raining [hard] for the last few days)

Great shots Lou

thanks for posting

Ronny
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:52 PM   #6

jelpee - Thanks for commenting, these were my first attempts at real macro with the Viv 105. This year you can bet I will be watching where I am going. PI was no fun.

GW - I see a case of LBA developing. Step 1 of the 12 step program is to go out and buy one. That will stop it cold in its tracks (for about a day).

Rodney - Thanks for looking. Yes expensive shot as well, when you consider the doctor visit and steroids to get rid of the PI.

rhermans - It has been a cool and wet spring here as well. That is why I am posting last years shots. I look forward to seeing your next macros of some European Dragonflies. I enjoy your macros, you set the bar high for me.

Lou
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:26 PM   #7

Very nice, Keltech. Nice and sharp. I am seeing the benefits of having a 2.8 lens. I'm with GW slowly (no quickly) developing a bad case of LBA. I've been holding off on the 18-250 since I have no immediate need for it right now. And, hoping I could find something faster than 3.5-5.6. I know there's no such thing as the perfect lens, but I can dream can't I.

Anyway, these are really nice. I saw my first dragonfly today while out on a walk. But, didn't have my camera with me. So, I think they're starting to come out up here.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:55 PM   #8

Lou - beautiful shots of these amazing creatures. I think your ID is correct on all. You might want to check out this very useful website for dragonfly ID and distribution. You can also contribute to the site to help all of us know more about biodiversity: http://www.odonatacentral.org/

Will look forward to seeing your dragonflies from this year!

By the way, have you learned to recognize poison ivy? We have luxuriant growths of it here if you need a "refresher course!!"
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 7:29 AM   #9

Patty - Yes the Viv 105mm is an F2.8 lens but at F2.8 the depth of field is so shallow that I is seldom use it.

My goal in shooting the dragonflies is to use the fastest shutter speed combined with the highest F stop so that the wings on both sides of the Dragonfly are in focus. The first picture at F11 I still lost some of the wings to shallow DOF.

I think that a lot of photography is learning with time how to optimize the lens you are working with.

This year I will begin using an off camera flash and a tripod so that I can use an even higher F stop and still freeze the action of the Dragonfly. I think F22 to F32 would be a better range for me to be shooting in.

Yes, Dragonflies are emerging now. On Memorial Day week end in Maine I saw swarms of Dragonflies thick as locust. I have never seen so many in one place in my life. They did not land and were flying fairly high. I tried to shoot them flying with my long lens but did not get anything worth keeping, as I was standing on a boat dock and it was rocking too much.

Lou
Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
I think your ID is correct on all. You might want to check out this very useful website for dragonfly ID and distribution. You can also contribute to the site to help all of us know more about biodiversity: http://www.odonatacentral.org/

By the way, have you learned to recognize poison ivy? We have luxuriant growths of it here if you need a "refresher course!!"
Mole,

I was hoping you would confirm my identifications.

Thank you for the Odonatacentral site. I went to my local Library and they had " A Field Guide to the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Massachusetts". It is a comprehensive guide with a lot of detail on the characteristics for field identification as well as pictures of the male and female of each species.

I guess that the PI episode was my own stupidity. I can identify PI but I got carried away with my photographic quest. Secondly I was dressed inappropriately. I was wearing shorts, and shorty socks in my hiking shoes. The PI began on my ankles and quickly spread to other parts of my body. In the end I was terribly blistered and infected and needed to take steroids to put it to rest.

I think I'll skip your generous offer for the refresher course.

Thanks again for commenting and keep posting you wonderful pictures.

Lou