Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:39 PM   #1

Default Resolution K20D

K20D does have the cropping room for using longer lens with long min focusing length. I have cropped out like 80% to get this. And instead of using longer lens , I may get away with more cropping room.

Scott is pretty good in using longer lens combo in focusing in more small birds. This is my attempt with a very common bird (with A300mmF4)

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:48 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Daniel, IMHO, this is marginally acceptable. I see a lot of pixelation in the background. There is no substitute for a good long lens with minimum cropping. Excessive cropping no doubt will lead to image degradation.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:14 PM   #3

Daniel,

I agree with jelpee. I have taken the liberty to remove some of the noise using Noiseware Commumity Edition. See what you think.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Daniel,

I agree with jelpee. I have taken the liberty to remove some of the noise using Noiseware Commumity Edition. See what you think.

Lou
Lou

Gee Maybe later on I am to send the image out to more experienced forum members for denoising before posting. Thanks. Certainly look a lot better than mine.
I agree that longer lens is better and there is no replacement. But getting 500mm lens is pricey not to mention the weight and logistics.
I think the noise mainly came from the high iso 1600 setting as it was really dark.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Daniel, IMHO, this is marginally acceptable. I see a lot of pixelation in the background. There is no substitute for a good long lens with minimum cropping. Excessive cropping no doubt will lead to image degradation.

Hi jelpee,

I don't think it's pixelation -- you might see that in a 20% frame crop from a 6 MP or lower resolution, but probably not from a similar crop of the K20's sensor. This is more probably luminance noise from ISO 1600. This could be cured in PP without using NR software as I outlined briefly in Paul's (trojansoc) cardinal thread.

I feel that there is no substitute for FL, and prefer TCs over cropping, but with the 14.6 MP in the K20, with a very sharp shot and a lens that's capable of resolving fine detail, I feel pretty confident to crop to about this extent. This won't give the finest detail possible, but it can give you a very good image, IMO, and sometimes with birds, you just have to be satisfied with that. . .

Scott

Edit -- Ok, you guys are faster than me. . .

Since Daniel didn't seem to mind Kentech's editing of the shot, I thought I'd do a quick and dirty demonstration of selective NR using PSP Edge Preserving Smooth on the background only. I also cropped the shot a little more to my taste. . . I think that this doesn't look as processed . . . YMMV
Attached Images

Last edited by snostorm; Jun 11, 2009 at 8:43 PM.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:37 PM   #6

Hey Daniel,
I agree with Jelpee, although, you could do a little more PP with the original image file than I did here. I just cleaned up the background a little and added a touch of noise reduction over all. I think it's a wonderful capture but, there is no substitute for a good long lens.

BTW, it looks like he's doing the funky chicken dance!

LOL! Lou and Scott both posted while I was processing or I wouldn't have posted it again

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Jun 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 8:38 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Lou, nice job on the NR. Daniel, now the image looks very acceptable! I did not realize NR could be that effective on such an image!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:49 AM   #8

Well here's my try at noise removal with Corel's Paint Shop Pro Photo X2.
Either way it is a good shot of a curious bird.
Attached Images

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:20 AM   #9

Looks like a good result, only those legs, I really don't know what to think of them.

Ronny
Old Jun 12, 2009, 3:59 AM   #10

GW - your pic seems to be locked and protected

Any way you could unlock it so I can see your take on the pic

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote