Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:57 PM   #1

Default pictures from the Eden Project

Hi All

been away for a few days and the weather was rubbish but I did spend a morning at the Eden project in Cornwall. Bit of background info for those that have never heard of it- The Eden project is a reclaimed quarry where they have created two huge greenhouses (geodesic domes) one for mediterrainian plants and one for rainforest plants (www.edenproject.com), anyway in the space of three hours I somehow managed to take over 200 pictures - the majority aren't that wonderful, it wasn't helped by the rainforest biome being very humid and my camera lens continually being misted up. Anyway here are a few of my favourites, still learning the camera these were all taken using the 18-55mm kit lens in aperture priority mode (I think). Any comments on how these could be improved are very welcome. (I don't know what any of the flowers - was more interested in how they look rather than what they were)

Thanks,
the doctor
Attached Images

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2009, 1:58 PM   #2

this is an unopened flower
Attached Images

Last edited by thedoctor; Jun 12, 2009 at 2:11 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:00 PM   #3

and this is what it becomes once opened (not the same flower just one that was already opened)
Attached Images

Last edited by thedoctor; Jun 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:00 PM   #4

this flower was in the gardens outside of the biomes
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:05 PM   #5

and they even have an indoor waterfall in the rainforest biome. Previously when I have tried to blur the water I've had to use filters but as it was indoors and quite gloomy by playing with the aperture the shutter speed was increased and produced what I consider quite a nice effect - although the majority of the foliage is a bit out of focus
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:10 PM   #6

looking at the majority of my pictures the colours are a bit dull (probably due to being taken indoors without flash?), what the best PP method to make the colours more vibrant?

So far the only thing I've done to the images is crop or resize them

Thanks
thedoctor
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:34 PM   #7

Hey Doc,
These are really pretty. in post #2 & 3 those are hibiscus, I have the same in my yard.
not sure what the others are.

the color looks pretty good on my monitor, they could use a little brightening up and a tad of sharpening, maybe a touch of noise reduction.
what software are you using for PP?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:49 PM   #8

currently have an old version of paint shop pro, but should be getting a copy of photoshop CS4 soon (need to get Illustrator for work so may as well get the whole suite for a little bit extra). It might be my monitor that is a bit gloomy (my niece has managed to wipe sticky fingers over most of it) - I might have a play this weekend at brightening and sharpening
Old Jun 12, 2009, 5:21 PM   #9

LOL! a warm damp cloth may help.
I've heard that Paint shop is a good one but, I've never tried it. I do have CS4 and love it! Still learning it. I took the liberty to play a little with one of yours, this is one I came up with. its a good one to play with, you can change it a lot of different ways and it still looks good.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 6:37 PM   #10
Super Moderator

There is a trick I use when going to shoot somewhere like Eden and that is get the camera kit I will be using up to a warmer than ambient temperature, so nearer to where you will be shooting, and then get it in your bag and seal close it up. I then put a hot water bottle into an adjoining pocket (I use Tamrac Expedition rucksacks so easy to do), this helps maintain the temperature for the trip then when I open everything up I get almost no problems at all. When I go to Eden I always go to the rainforest one first if possible as the humidity in there is the problem causer.

Anyway, looks like you had a good days shooting. What are the outside displays looking at currently, I've not been down there for a while, I usually only go when we have visitors or if friends are taking their children.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote