Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:23 PM   #11

Wonderful pictures! I really want to visit RMNP, maybe next year. It's been years since I was last there, your pictures really make me want to be there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:02 PM   #12

Thanks for all the kind comments folks. I really appreciate it. I realized that my pictures suggest that I had perfect weather all the time, and that was not the case. This a sample of the weather that rolled in every afternoon. I got wet both days on my way back to the trailhead, but it was still a great trip. I really hated to pack up my tent and head in to downtown Denver to act respectable at the conference.
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:18 PM   #13

MtMan - some gorgeous photos of a gorgeous part of our earth. Glad to "see" you here again, and thanks for sharing some fine and well-composed images. The last shot looks more like our typical mt weather too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:59 AM   #14

Default Estes Park Campsite

You certainly had a beautiful campsite in Estes. I was wondering if you remember what the name of the campground was.......or at least the location? I've been researching different campgrounds to stay there. Thanks for any help you can provide.
pbesherse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:18 PM   #15

Mntman you are one lucky guy. My wife's from Denver. Wish we could move there. Beautiful shots by the way.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:57 PM   #16

Wow, what a surprise to see this thread re-surface, after more than two years! Welcome to the Pentax forum, pbesherse. I'm not sure remember the details correctly, but I think the campground was very simply called the Estes Park Campground. It was located at the very end of Tunnel Road, and it abutted the National Park. I checked a few minutes ago and couldn't find their web site. I didn't spend much time digging, but it appears that the campground is no longer privately owned and operated. It now appears to be part of the Larimer County park system:
http://larimer.org/naturalresources/...eastportal.htm

Again, I may not remember the details correctly but my recollection is that the campground was oriented primarily toward car campers with tents. I think there were a few small pop-up campers close to the office, but nearly all the sites farther back were suited to tents only.

Tony, you are right, I was very lucky to combine this trip to RMNP with the conference in Denver. Last December, I attended a week-long training session at the Nevada Test Site. I flew out a few days early, and was able to spend two glorious days in Zion National Park. I get out to the western US very infrequently, but on those rare occasions when I have a work-related reason to go, I try to combine it with a quick excursion to some destinations that have been on my list for many years.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:53 PM   #17

Wish this thread had stayed buried. I was supposed to be there last week, but had to cancel due to my other half having a medical problem that wouldn't allow him to travel. The pictures you posted on this trip went a long way toward convincing me to plan the trip in the first place, so it's like rubbing salt in an open wound! Oh well, another time perhaps.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:03 AM   #18

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

RE-emergence of this thread is timely...I'm heading to Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon NP's next week for 5 days of hiking and photography (my second visit to these NP's). Last year I made it to Rocky Mtn NP and thanks to some tips from you I had a great trip inspite of the varying weather conditions!

Jehan

Nymph Lake: Rocky Mtn National Park

Last edited by Wingman; Sep 29, 2011 at 12:23 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:59 PM   #19

Harriet, I'm very sorry to hear that your husband has some medical concerns. I know all too well how draining it can be when a loved one faces health problems. I hope you get back to Colorado soon. In the meantime, the Sierras are more or less right at your back yard, correct? That has to be some consolation.

Jehan, I'm envious of your upcoming trip. When I returned from Nevada last December I promised my wife we would go out there together and visit Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon. As yet I haven't made good on that promise.

Last edited by mtnman; Sep 28, 2011 at 7:01 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:28 PM   #20

Great photographs deserve being enjoyed again. I can only dream and envy you at this point. At least fall will soon be coming to the Ozarks and the new grandma will be coming home.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote