Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:39 PM   #1

Default Rocky Mountain National Park

I haven't been around this site very much for the past month or so; part of the reason was that I had to attend a conference in Denver. While there I took the opportunity to see a few areas in Rocky Mountain National Park, which I have wanted to see for several decades. I'm really glad I did, as the mountains are even more magnificent than I imagined. Flying to Denver with my tent, sleeping bag, cookware and other camping gear, as well as clothing and materials for the conference was very cumbersome, but worth the effort. Here was my campsite at the Estes Park Campground:
Attached Images

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:45 PM   #2

My first full day I was not adjusted to the altitude, so I took a short hike to Dream Lake and Emerald Lake, just under 4 miles round trip. Despite the short hike, I was exhausted when I returned to the camp site. The altitude really saps your energy if you're not adjusted to it. Emerald Lake was still covered with ice, and the sky was completely clouded over when I got there, but when I passed Dream Lake, conditions were beautiful:
Attached Images

Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:50 PM   #3

The next day I hiked to another lake called the Loch; this hike was about 7 miles round trip, and involved more elevation gain. Despite the fact that it was a longer and steeper hike I had been in the area long enough that I was starting to adjust to the altitude, and I felt much better after this hike than I did after the much shorter hike the previous day. Weather conditions at the Loch were perfect:
Attached Images

Old Jun 13, 2009, 10:56 PM   #4

The wildlife also cooperated while I was visiting this stunning national park. Some people told me these were mule deer; others insisted they are elk. I don't know for sure, but I think they are mule deer. All photos were taken with my K100D; this shot was taken with the Sigma 70-200 APO DG; the earlier photos in this thread were taken with the Pentax 16-45 f/4 lens. Comments, criticisms and suggestions are all appreciated.
Attached Images

Old Jun 14, 2009, 1:11 AM   #5

Nice shots, I think those are Elk not Mule Deer.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 3:39 AM   #6

Great series ...
your campsite looks great, and those shots prove that it was worth all the hassle to get everything over there.
There is no promotional flyer that whould love to have those shots.

Ronny

Last edited by rhermans; Sep 28, 2011 at 6:24 AM. Reason: sory must have misread your avatar
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:59 AM   #7

Wonderful shots and they bring back wonderful memories of my Rocky Mountain adventure, Thank You .

Rodney.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 7:49 AM   #8

mtman,

Stunning shots, thanks for sharing them. The one of Emerald Lake is one you should frame and hang. RMNP is indeed a spectacular place. I don't envy you carrying all that gear in that thin air.

I visited last year first week in June. Drove from Estes Park, over the top to the Alpine Visitors center and down the other side to Granby. I was feeling quit ill at 11,796 feet, and needed to drive down to make the dizziness go away. Driving that road while woozy was no fun.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:37 AM   #9

Yes, they are Elk but, young ones. next year they will look magnificent!
great photos, mtnman!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:49 PM   #10

Fabulous, mtnman. What beautiful country. We were in Denver week before last and I couldn't hardly make it the mile or so to the local park. I can't even imagine walking the distance you did at that elevation. But, it sure looks like it was worth the hike.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote