Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:12 AM   #11

I just picked up the grip recently and I have to say I do like it. My carry around lens (Sigma 24-135mm) is a heavy sucker so it really does offset that. It feels a lot more comfortable for me taking portrait shots. I'm still getting used to it but I have to say that I am happy with it. I like having the backup battery, I do like the storage for the mem card, but I wish they would have made it so you could access the 2nd card as additional storage. The storage works fine but it's quicker to just have a 2nd card in it's case in my pocket in case I need it.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:03 AM   #12

I got mine for the K10D, and it stayed on there until I sold the K10D.

I now use it on the K20D, BUT, it is not always on the camera now.

Sometimes it is nice to remove it for traveling light (using a small bag) or for more stability on a tripod, or with a flip flash bracket.

However, for an all day shoot, like the corporate golf do, I will always have the grip on and probably 60-70% of my shots are vertical.

I also find I take more verticals with the grip attached.

The additional battery life is also a godsend

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:54 AM   #13

wow,
what a cross section.
never expected this much ..
YOU CRAZY PEOPLE!!
i'm no better off than i was before.. i think i'll pass for a while.. i just wish there was a place for a hands on examination...
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:58 AM   #14
Super Moderator

I would imagine any good camera store would enable you to try one out assuming that they stock it. In the current climate everyone should be looking for extra sales.

As for being crazy, you don't need to be to be in this game but it sure helps LOL
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I would imagine any good camera store would enable you to try one out assuming that they stock it. In the current climate everyone should be looking for extra sales.

As for being crazy, you don't need to be to be in this game but it sure helps LOL
thanks maras big as D/FW is i only know of 2 places that might have it stock.. both a good deal away from my humble abode...
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:25 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Ah that's not helpful. If you did decide to go with one at some point then I'm sure you will like the improved feeling.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:29 AM   #17

Roy, just to get the feel of a grip, it doesn't have to be Pentax on Pentax - any camera/grip combo will do - some place near you should have one to handle, provided you are not afraid to expose yourself to the competition. If there are any Ritz camera stores left in your neighborhood, they might even have the Pentax.

Don't take too long making up your mind - the BG2 is specific to the K10/K20, and will soon disappear along with the cameras. Some enterprising ebay sellers looted the Ritz close-outs, and some grips have appeared at pretty good prices.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 16, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:33 AM   #18

Roy - try bolting a lump of 1" stock to the base of the camera, then holding it vertically

Should give you a rough idea of the size and whether you prefer arm up in the air or still off to one side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dal1970/

Nikon D7000
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Roy, just to get the feel of a grip, it doesn't have to be Pentax on Pentax - any camera/grip combo will do - some place near you should have one to handle, provided you are not afraid to expose yourself to the competition. If there are any Ritz camera stores left in your neighborhood, they might even have the Pentax.

Don't take too long making up your mind - the BG2 is specific to the K10/K20, and will soon disappear along with the cameras. Some enterprising ebay sellers looted the Ritz close-outs, and some grips have appeared at pretty good prices.
Hi Roy,

penolta has some good points.

There seemed to be quite a few bg2s sold at deep discount during the recent Ritz close-outs, and the K-7 will have a different bg, so those upgrading to the K-7 and selling their previous bodies should make some available cheap in the near future.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote