Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 15, 2009, 8:43 PM   #1

Default Sigma 2X TC AF problem w/HSM lens

At the same time I bought my Sigma 70-200 f:2.8 EX DG HSM lens I also got the EX 2X TC on recommendation from the salesman at B&H as a good match for use on my K20. after trying it out I found it wouldn't work in AF and it also disabled focus confirmation light and beep. it also disabled the menu and funtion buttons. my 14 day trial period was up so I had to send to authorised Sigma repair falcillity. after 30 days and not hearing from them I called and found out that any converter with a serial number starting with 400xxx would not work on my camera and they had a new one out that was compatibil (serial starts with 500xxx) I called B&H and was informed that they would be happy to replace it with the up dated one but, the price had gon up to $300 as opposed to the old one at $200. so all I needed to do was send the first one back with a check for $100 and they would send out a one. Isn't that wonderful of them? I seem to have the best luck with camera gear!

just a note for K10 owners, from what I read, even the new one wont work in AF on the K10.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2009, 9:54 PM   #2

GW,

Remind to stay away from you if we are ever in the state. I wouldn't want any of whatever it is you have to rub off on me. You have worse bad luck than I do!

Only kidding.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:44 PM   #3

Quote:
I also got the EX 2X TC on recommendation from the salesman
That'll learn ya. Your problem is that you are just too trusting. They owe you a refund or a replacement at cost - it is their fault, not yours.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 15, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:41 PM   #4

Urrr! There's someone I work with who has worse luck than you when it comes with my machines. He uses my large format copier/plotter and it runs out of paper, toner or develops funny lines. He uses our ordinary copier and all of a sudden it starts to jam and won't copy anything. I tell him he as to stand 20 feet away from my machines whenever he wants something!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:46 PM   #5

GW, personally I would ask for a refund, I found my Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 to not be up to my standards when it comes to sharpness using Sigma's EX 1.4 TC on my K20D, but then YMMV.

If they replace it for the original price fine, but I feel it isn't worth $300 and I wouldn't pay them the extra money.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennacac View Post
GW, personally I would ask for a refund, I found my Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 to not be up to my standards when it comes to sharpness using Sigma's EX 1.4 TC on my K20D, but then YMMV.

If they replace it for the original price fine, but I feel it isn't worth $300 and I wouldn't pay them the extra money.
Hi GW,

I'm with Tom. I'd go for a direct replacement, but a 50% upcharge is pretty outrageous, especially if it's K20 specific to the point that it won't even work with a K10 -- will they guarantee it'll work with the K-7 and future models? -- I'd think not. . .

Hi Tom -- what are you doing with a Sigma 70-200 when you have an FA*80-200. . . but I guess I should be one to talk. . . with my 300/2.8 collection. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 3:26 AM   #7

GW, a price increase of 50% would make me doubt if I would not go for a refund, and take my money somewhere else.

Ronny
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:12 AM   #8

I think you need to protest louder or get a manager on the phone and demand your money back!

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:08 AM   #9

Scott, I find the 70-200 to be a bit short (what lens long enough for birding) so I don't use it all that much and always go for the 300mm for the extra reach.

Actually it is even worse, since I also have a FA*80-200 2.8 Pentax lens, which is extremely sharp, but very heavy, which is why I got the Sigma 70-200mm since it is lighter, but not sharper.

GW, after thinking about the TC I am sticking with my suggestion that you get your money back and save the $300 for something else. I am amazed to hear B&H wouldn't just replace the TC with the correct version to work on your camera since buying it was their idea in the first place.

Not good business on their part especially with the internet and all the people that now know how they handled this issue.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:42 PM   #10

Thanks guys for the feedback!
Patty, This is for you...
Harriet, you know, I have a brother in Ca, what's that guys name?

UP Date on problem!
After I got home today, I called Sigma and discussed my problem with them. They suggested I call B&H again and see what we could work out, he also told me that he wasn't aware of any substantial price increases over the past several months. He sounded surprised to hear they were charging $300 for the 2X.

So, I called and explained to the gentleman what the problem was and what I expected from them, he put me on hold whole he talked to his supervisor then came back and said, since it was pas the 14 day trial period the best they could do for me was to refund my money or charge me for the other 2X. I said that's fine, I'll take the refund and do my business elsewhere and after dealing with them for the past 15 years that I was really disappointed with them and do I need a return authorization for returning it? he said yes, hold on just a minuet and I'll get that for you.
well, when He came back on, he said he had talked with his supervisor and they would be willing to refund my money on my entire purchase if I would like. I said that would be wonderful and I'll place an order for the 50-500mm!
All's well that ends well, and I think I can still recommend B&H

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote