Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:01 AM   #21

Or this one, I assume it's another type of Ocotillo, though it wasn't labeled. Are they something entirely different? I'm still as bad about figuring these things out as I was in school!
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:53 AM   #22

Well... You're right, its an Ocotillo, not sure which one. I did a little research on the net but, I still can't say what the proper term is for these. some sites classify them as cacti others, succulents. So we're right back where we started.
the one nice thing I found out was these are very colorful when they bloom!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:05 PM   #23

Ocotillos are neither cacti nor succulents - they just have similar adaptations to life in an arid environment. Not all plants with spines are cacti, and not not all plants with fleshy leaves are succulents. The natural world is infinitely variable, so there are no simple rules without exceptions. That's just the way it is!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Ocotillos are neither cacti nor succulents - they just have similar adaptations to life in an arid environment. Not all plants with spines are cacti, and not not all plants with fleshy leaves are succulents. The natural world is infinitely variable, so there are no simple rules without exceptions. That's just the way it is!
Well, that sure clears that up...

...bout as clear as mud!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:11 AM   #25

I figured that these particular Ocotillos weren't cacti, but wasn't sure about them being succulents. You are right about the natural world being infinitely variable - it gives me a headache. I can deal somewhat with identifying birds as I find it easier (for the most part) to see differences between them. I got lost with simple butterflies and plants are almost as confusing, more so when you talk about whether a plant is related to another. According to Wikipedia, the Madagascar Ocotillo isn't really closely related to the Ocotillo that is native to our Western deserts, even though it looks similar.

I think I'll stick to just taking pictures of them - it's much simpler.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote