Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:08 PM   #1

Default Another Butterfly

I took these a few weeks ago, thought since I was posting butterflies, might as well put these up...
He's looking at me looking at him looking at me...
Atala - Eumaeus atala

oh, oh... the wind just kicked up really hard and its pouring rain, looks like a real storm is coming!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
He's looking at me looking at him looking at me...
!
GW,

LOL, Is that like the man who had a fly in his eye but couldn't see it because he had a fly in his eye?

I think the pictures could use some sharpening. The colors and exposure are both good. The saturation looks a little strong on my monitor but only you know what the butterfly looked like.

I have never seen this species of butterfly before and rather like it, thanks for sharing it with me.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:37 PM   #3

You're right Lou but, its that the DOF is so shallow @ f:2.8 - 200mm that by the time I got fucus and snapped the shutter, he had moved out of the focal plain and he didn't have to move much!
at first I wasn't going to post these but, figured what the hay, its still a funny shot.
and the only one I've seen around this year...

Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:38 PM   #4

Quote:
I have never seen this species of butterfly before and rather like it, thanks for sharing it with me.
Neither have I, but once you have seen it, you are not likely to forget it. It is a Great Purple Hairstreak, Atlides halesus. It breeds on mistletoe and occurs across the southern tier of states from the Carolinas to California. Supposedly it tends to "stay high" and so may go unseen among the trees.

Nice catch, GW.

Edit - Here I go again - I didn't see the Atala ID at first - too busy ogling the butterfly. The somewhat similar Atala is a Florida specialty, breeding on native and ornamental cycads - it occurs only in southern Florida so no one elsewhere could have seen it - too bad this isn't it - close, but no cigar. Although similarly colored, the Atala has numerous white spots on the underside of the hind wing, and lacks the typical hairstreak "tails." Once rare, it is said to be becoming increasingly common, so keep looking wherever cycads are planted, GW, you may get even luckier.

Last edited by penolta; Jun 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
You're right Lou but, its that the DOF is so shallow @ f:2.8 - 200mm that by the time I got fucus and snapped the shutter, he had moved out of the focal plain and he didn't have to move much!
at first I wasn't going to post these but, figured what the hay, its still a funny shot.
and the only one I've seen around this year...
GW,
I took the liberty to sharpen No.1, hope you don't mind. It did bring up more detail and made it less fuzzy to look at and gave more detail to the eyes and face.

Now I can see him looking at you while you're watching him, Ah,you know...............

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:05 AM   #6

Nice catch, GW.

Edit - Here I go again - I didn't see the Atala ID at first - too busy ogling the butterfly. The somewhat similar Atala is a Florida specialty, breeding on native and ornamental cycads - it occurs only in southern Florida so no one elsewhere could have seen it - too bad this isn't it - close, but no cigar. Although similarly colored, the Atala has numerous white spots on the underside of the hind wing, and lacks the typical hairstreak "tails." Once rare, it is said to be becoming increasingly common, so keep looking wherever cycads are planted, GW, you may get even luckier.[/QUOTE]

well... you'd think I'd learn after the last mis-ID. actually, I wasn't looking to id this one when I ran across a pic of the Atala while looking to ID the checkered white. when I saw it I thought oh, that looks like the one I got a a few weeks ago, and just made a mental note of it. I should have gone back to it with the pic I had to see if it was a real match. ah well, thanks for setting me strait again!

Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
GW,
I took the liberty to sharpen No.1, hope you don't mind. It did bring up more detail and made it less fuzzy to look at and gave more detail to the eyes and face.

Now I can see him looking at you while you're watching him, Ah,you know...............

Lou

You did good Lou!
I don't mind at all, I think I was afraid I was going to over do it and it would look worse.

this little guy just flew in and landed there on the ground as I was getting on my bike to leave work so I had to dig out my camera and try to get a shot before he flew off. I wish I had had time to put the 540 flash on so I could have used a smaller f stop to increase the DOF.
Well like Pen said, maybe I'll get lucky...

Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:27 PM   #8

As an aside, both of these butterflies are shown in Kaufman's field guide on the same plate entntled "Cool Hairstreaks." Yes, indeed - they are that.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:05 PM   #9

Sure is a "cool" haristreak - never have seen one before. Thanks for the bright and clear images!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Sure is a "cool" haristreak - never have seen one before. Thanks for the bright and clear images!

Thank you sir.