Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:06 PM   #1

Default Newbie: Recommend Settings

In about 1.5 hours, I'm going to head out and start taking my first photos with my K10D. It's also my first time going fully manual and first time using a dSLR. Can anyone recommend any settings for me to get me started? Thanks in advance!
LadyRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:17 PM   #2

probably just the default settings.

what lenses tho???
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:51 PM   #3

I have the Pentax 18-55mm f/3.5-5.9 AL II kit lens. I found that the Fn button allowed me to set ISO and white balance, so I set both to AUTO. How do you set everything to auto, as you suggested?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
probably just the default settings.

what lenses tho???
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:30 PM   #4

RO,
which camera??
i haven't had the k20 for long but if you select P or Auto with the left dial then that would do the trick..
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:36 PM   #5

also,
i think you'd benefit from a totally manual lens.. it'll teach you more about exposure in the quickest way..
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:56 PM   #6

Left dial, P or Auto... got it! Thanks, Robar. I do plan to get a manual lens ASAP.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:21 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum Ladyro,
This is a friendly place to ask questions and learn.
One of the best $15 dollars I've spent is on a book for the K10 by Magic lantern Guides. you can find it here. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_8yzfwnugv_b
It goes far beyond the owners manual and in a way anyone can understand it. Highly recommended by anyone who's read it.
I think you'll really like the K10. I have one for the wife and a K20d I got in December. I love em both!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:24 PM   #8

Thanks for the nice welcome, Goldwinger! I actually was able to get the K10 Magic Lantern Guide for $3.00 when I bought my camera. It's already helped me do some things, and I love how plainly it's written. When I posted earlier, I was trying to cover all my bases in case I couldn't find the info in the book.

Thankfully, Robar answered before I had to go digging in a panic, saving me some time, as I was running late to meet my friend. I just got home and downloaded the pics to my hard drive. I'll be posting some of them as soon as I edit/pp them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Welcome to the forum Ladyro,
This is a friendly place to ask questions and learn.
One of the best $15 dollars I've spent is on a book for the K10 by Magic lantern Guides. you can find it here. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_8yzfwnugv_b
It goes far beyond the owners manual and in a way anyone can understand it. Highly recommended by anyone who's read it.
I think you'll really like the K10. I have one for the wife and a K20d I got in December. I love em both!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:33 PM   #9

Good for you! You got a deal.
Looking forward to seeing your post.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:44 AM   #10

I tend to just leave my camera set to the P mode, using TAv or something else if there's something specific I want the camera to do, then switching it back when I'm done. Remember to switch back and don't do what I did once - shoot some white pelicans and a Great Egret on a very bright sunny day at ISO 1600 because I forgot that the camera was still set to Sv from some pictures I had taken the previous evening!

On the K10, I preferred the natural mode over the bright mode (think it's still under "image tone" in the menu on the K10). As I recall, the default setting for the K10 is natural but could be wrong about that (bright is the default on the K100). Don't think it particularly matters if you shoot raw instead of jpg.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote