Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:56 AM   #11

Hi Mole, these are all fabulous. There are not too many of us that could suggest improvements! Thanks for posting.
bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 1:29 PM   #12

I think you've got a good macro lens and the only way to make it a great macro lens is .... put it into your hands.

Magnificent series - as ever

Ronny
Old Jun 20, 2009, 1:32 PM   #13

More great images. Nothing to suggest except that the last one IMO could stand a bit of cropping to better balance the reflection with the sky and remove a bit of the dark, featureless area on the left. Others may not agree.
Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 2:41 PM   #14

I can't add anthing to what's already been said except great macros. I believe you are going to like that 105. I happen to have one and have been very pleased with it.

mtngal is all over the DOF and lighting. I usually have my flash handy for macros and often use it off camera in wireless mode to get the light where I want it.

Jim
JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 5:35 PM   #15

Thanks to all for your kind and very helpful comments!

Lou - I also like the 1st bee better - sun & clouds were playing lots of "tag" games during the shooting... The male Blue Dasher was taken with the Tamron zoom, the female with the macro. His settings were F 19 at 1/90, hers were f13 at 1/350,

Harriet - thanks for the suggestions about increasing F-stop -will definitely try that as lighting permits. Can't try your flash suggestions until sometime in the future when I save up enough to buy a flash unit! Anytime you are out this way, I will be glad to lead you to some great butterfly & dragonfly shooting areas...

Pen - crop looks good to me too. Thanks! I actually took about 20 pictures of that scence, and have not yet had time to sort or pp carefully yet. Will try your crop on the full size image later.

GW, Rodney, BB, Ronny, Jim - thanks so much for your encouraging words. I'm just having lots of fun capturing and sharing beautiful bits of the creation, and learning a lot from folks like you!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 5:54 PM   #16

As usual, Mole, these are lovely. I'll have to come back and pick favorites of mine.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:40 PM   #17

the butterflies are all beautiful. you knew that already, though...
of the flower shots, the first and fourth are the most successful, i think. mainly because although they are all technically good (in focus, etc...) you captured something more in those two. you will laugh at me, because i obsessively photograph flowers, but the photo professor here has a list of things which you should "never take pictures of unless you absolutely have to." which includes flowers, because the thing about photographing flowers is that no matter how beautiful a photo you take, it is still just a flower, and there are so many pictures out there of them. and you tend to be more cliche in your photography with a more cliche subject. so, caution used, i guess. but, i am not trying to be mean (as someone beside me thinks i am) i am trying to say that the first and fourth flower pictures for me, anyway, successfully transcend the cliche and become more than just a picture of a flower. the first, simply through depth of field, i guess, and the fourth through composition. yup. you can take it or leave it, but that is what i think.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:44 PM   #18

ps, i like your cropping better, although that may just be because i know the place... i have no real reasoning for the preference.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 4:50 PM   #19

Hey Vole - I really appreciate your insightful comments. You must have been reading my mind when I was taking those flower shots - was really thinking about the photo on the 1st and 4th, thinking more about "pretty flowers" on the coneflowers. By the way, what else is on that list of things to "never take photos of unless you have to?"
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:09 AM   #20

Penolta's crop above is great- just a little more symmetry works well.
bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote