Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:31 AM   #1

Default a green visitor

This little one kept me busy for more than an hour, it was slowly crawling through the grass.
I'm sure my neighbors have already decided that I've got at least 1 screw loose.

Size: 5-8mm without its antenna.

K20d + tamron 1.4tc + kiron105mm + raynox dcr250 + off camera flash,
all (except the last) are full frame.
guess that would give a 2.8:1 macro although I'm not completely shure about the enlargement from the tc.

last shot is a 100% crop of the previous.

Oh yes, decided to upload the springtail of a while back to photographyvoice.com, and ...
photo-of-the-day/20858/2009/06/18/macro-bugs-and-closeups/ronny-hermans

Have a great weekend

Ronny
Old Jun 20, 2009, 8:38 AM   #2

Ronny

Congrats
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3

katydid's are also one of favorites..
these are about the same size.. babies

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
Ronny

Congrats
Thanks Black Knight
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:01 AM   #5

Roy , great capture, I really wish I could find those in you picture will have to search better.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 11:14 AM   #6

Ronny,

Nice work!

It would have taken me a lot more than an hour to get him in focus with all you had stacked on that 105mm.

I think this is the first time I have seen a photo taken with the Raynox stacked on the 105 macro. What kind of distance did you have from the front of the lens to the subject?

I have used the 1.4 TC with my 105mm macro and it works well. Very nice for taking standoff macro shots when you don't want to frighten the subject away by getting to close.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhermans View Post
Roy , great capture, I really wish I could find those in you picture will have to search better.
ronny,
just lucky. you also know how many of these you throw away..
nice shots
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltech View Post
Ronny,

Nice work!

It would have taken me a lot more than an hour to get him in focus with all you had stacked on that 105mm.

I think this is the first time I have seen a photo taken with the Raynox stacked on the 105 macro. What kind of distance did you have from the front of the lens to the subject?

I have used the 1.4 TC with my 105mm macro and it works well. Very nice for taking standoff macro shots when you don't want to frighten the subject away by getting to close.

Lou
Thanks Lou,

that would be around 5cm, the tc gives you the possibility to have a tiny bit more distance.
I've been using the raynox dcr250 + 105macro together rather a lot and have gotten great results. Stacking another raynox dcr150 on top works but then the dof becomes to shallow to get a good result. And then you have to start stacking your images for more dof.

This is then the setup,

and the result (100% crop)
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:35 PM   #9

Ronny,

50 mm is more than I expected it to be. That is a reasonable distance so you can get some flash down to the subject. The crop photo of the African Violet is fantastic.

I lightened your picture up in Photoshop and was surprised at what you have on that one bracket. Your lighting setup is nice. The Lumui Quest looks like it does a good job of delivering light to the front of the lens and directing it down where you need it. The ring flash is something I will consider in the future.

I have experimented making a flash bracket out of aluminum but so far it is still a work in progress. I have a Sunpak 383 super ($25.00 used) that I fire with a Cactus Wireless Trigger. I mount the cactus receiver with the flash on it where the slot is in the bracket and can move it back and forth.
Home made bracket:

A rather simple and very useful flash device I made is shown below:

This is just a tube I made from a corrugated cardboard box. The inside was covered with aluminum foil. It is surprisingly good at directing the flash to a subject located in front of the lens. The flash is used in manual mode. I mounted it on my old Cannon A1 to simulate what it looks like with a macro lens and TC mounted. It is not pretty but it works well.

Seeing other peoples set up's is nice as it gives ideas that can be helpfull to others. It might be nice to start a thread for showing diffrent devices and how they are used.

Thanks Ronny, I have learned much from you in the short time I have been here.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2009, 5:17 PM   #10

ron,
my avatar is a full frame. got it with off cam flash and and 68mm ETs and a 2x TC. the rig was 12'' long.. somewhere around 4-5:1..
lou, that's using the gray matter.. nothing out of pocket for something that works just fine..