Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 29, 2009, 8:39 PM   #11

I recently purchased a K20D. I've shot with a SLR for years and when I picked up the Pentax put everything in manual and started shooting. Love the camera. Ordered the camera on-line and it arrived, of course I was not at home, and wife opened box and started shooting on full auto. She got some great pics and does not want to really know how to use all the features. I've read the manual cover to cover, which is a bunch. I really liked that the complete book was in English and not divided into 3 or 4 languages. My 13 yr old is my up and coming photographer. She takes pictures that are unreal for a kid, one of the reasons for the new DSLR.

Here's one of the kids pics
Old Jun 29, 2009, 8:40 PM   #12

here's her pic
Old Jun 30, 2009, 7:28 AM   #13

oldschool52 -- your pictures are showing up as "red x", in both posts. Don't know if it is my system or not.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 7:40 AM   #14

Welcome to both the newcomers in this thread. You've picked the right camera brand and group to share info with. Looking forward to seeing your pics. (Btw, I can't see anything but the x's either, oldschool52).

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:18 PM   #15

Hi,
Received it this Monday with the 18-55 lens kit. I will test it this week end and post some pictures. Will do my homework - reading the manual !
fthiaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 9:41 AM   #16

Oldschool52: One of the reasons for the failure of a picture to appear is that it is linked to an image hosting site on which it is password protected. By clicking on the paper clip icon at the top of the edit page you can upload pictures as attachments directly from your computer to this forum without going off site, just as easily you can add them to an email. Another is that they may be oversized. They should be sized to a width no greater than 700 pixels. Hope this helps.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fthiaw View Post
Hello,
I am new in this forum and actually new in DSLR world. P&S before. I shoot lanscape and some portraits (family etc). i Would like to move to DSLR. Was thinking going to Canon or Nikon, but following many of you, I am more attracted by Pentax. I am hesitating between k20 and k200 + kit 18-55 . Both are now within the same range of price between 550 and 750 USD. At beginning I think I will be using a lot the automatic mode (at elast first couple of months). You can just leave the K20D or the K200 in automatic.I saw in your forum that you would not recommend the k20d for a dslr beginner, but definitely tempted because of the more advanced specifications then more capable to follow me for the next 3 years.Some advice please

I have a K10D ...bought it new in Nov. / 07. The K20D is an evolved K20D and both are fairly complicated...if you want to use all the many features they use...but as mentioned before if you just want to leave these more advanced cameras on automatic...they will work suberbly...also.

I bought the K10D as I wanted a camera that would do it all...that I could make my own settings...not be restricted to just an automatic only camera. I've been a slr hobbyist for many years, though.

I also have a Pentax KM...known as the K2000 in the states. This is Pentaxes' entry DSLR and I use this as my daily- carry around because it's much smaller (I have the K10D with battery grip), lighter.

I have the kit 18-55 on it and I have to say this camera can take wonderful, clear, detailed pictures. It's no slouch. It even has a 'question button' you can push that will explain the particular camera function you are in...ie; what the function does..ie; portrait, etc. I have converted the question buttton (don't need it as I'm an old, grizzled veteran ) to a a RAW button.

But I will say I think the kit 18-55 lens is a very good lens...the 16-45 Pentax zoom I feel is an excellent zoom lens. But then the 16-45 Pentax zoom is Pentaxes' mid range lens...the 18-55 is the low level lens.

Another thing to think about the body(if you really get into photography) will change every few years...the lenses if good, you will keep. Many feel it's a better thing to focus (no pun intended) on the lens quality rather than the camera body.

I have three lenses that I'm very pleased with all Pentax...16-45, 55-300, 50- F1.4. The 18-55 kit I keep on the KM as the normal lens...but if it were stolen or lost...I wouldn't regard it as a major loss as I would the others. It's very good, as said before, but IMO the 16-45's end product (pictures) are better to my eye.

I also use my KM (K2000) as a supplementary body to the K10D. If I'm going to shoot something where I want to use different lenses...for instance vintage cars in the evening...I will have the K10D with my 16-45 wide angle zoom and the KM with my 50 mm F1.4 attached to take advantage of low light picture opportunuties.

But you probably want to start only with one body. Go to a camera store...try out both the K20D and the K200D...maybe the K2000 and scroll through the functions, try them on automatic and the different options...see which one you like best.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jul 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote