Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:29 AM   #1

Default k20d vs k200d - dslr beginner

Hello,
I am new in this forum and actually new in DSLR world. P&S before. I shoot lanscape and some portraits (family etc). i Would like to move to DSLR. Was thinking going to Canon or Nikon, but following many of you, I am more attracted by Pentax. I am hesitating between k20 and k200 + kit 18-55 . Both are now within the same range of price between 550 and 750 USD. At beginning I think I will be using a lot the automatic mode (at elast first couple of months). I saw in your forum that you would not recommend the k20d for a dslr beginner, but definitely tempted because of the more advanced specifications then more capable to follow me for the next 3 years.
Some advice please
fthiaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fthiaw View Post
Hello,
I am new in this forum and actually new in DSLR world. P&S before. I shoot lanscape and some portraits (family etc). i Would like to move to DSLR. Was thinking going to Canon or Nikon, but following many of you, I am more attracted by Pentax. I am hesitating between k20 and k200 + kit 18-55 . Both are now within the same range of price between 550 and 750 USD. At beginning I think I will be using a lot the automatic mode (at elast first couple of months). I saw in your forum that you would not recommend the k20d for a dslr beginner, but definitely tempted because of the more advanced specifications then more capable to follow me for the next 3 years.
Some advice please
Welcome to the forum. The K20d is so attractively priced right now, it would be hard to pass up. It's a lot of camera to learn, if you're determined to learn to use every last feature, but you don't have to master all its capabilities at once. You can begin in the more automated modes and get excellent photos, and as you feel more comfortable with the camera, start using more features. There is no question that the K20 would give you far more room to grow. The Pentax kit lens is a versatile little lens that can introduce you well to the world of Pentax photography while you determine where you want to go in terms of long-term growth.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Welcome to the forum. The K20d is so attractively priced right now, it would be hard to pass up. It's a lot of camera to learn, if you're determined to learn to use every last feature, but you don't have to master all its capabilities at once. You can begin in the more automated modes and get excellent photos, and as you feel more comfortable with the camera, start using more features. There is no question that the K20 would give you far more room to grow. The Pentax kit lens is a versatile little lens that can introduce you well to the world of Pentax photography while you determine where you want to go in terms of long-term growth.

Paul
If you only intend to have only one camera, then Paul's advice certainly would be proper to accept. The K20 is a great camera and will be usable for a long time. If, however you intend, as most users do, to have a second body, then it might be in your interest to go with the K200, which is quite a capable camera, both smaller and lighter than the K20, and will serve admirably as a back up when you do decide to move up - by which time the prices of the K7 will have come down. The differences between the K20 and k200 (which is akin to a downsized and improved but simpler K10) may be less than that between the k20 and k7. Then again, when the k7 comes out, there will be a lot of bulkier k20s replaced, and you could get one even cheaper. When the K20 came out, many users sold their k10s but kept their k100s, so the same scenario could repeat with the k200, k20 and k7. Some k10/k20 users have even purchased k2000s to use as well, so the top of the line camera is not always the only one to own or to use.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:15 PM   #4

Again welcome to the forum. Pentax is a good selection for most aspects of photography. Right now, with the K7 coming out, the K20 is an exceptional camera at a tremendous price. Also with the K7 shipping here is a couple of days, the price on the K20s may even get better (especially considering used bodies). I upgraded a couple of months ago, and have found the camera very easy to use - and the 3 year warranty was a bonus. There is the green mode (all automatic), and Pentax's unique P mode that provides a great balance between fully auto and easy to change shutter speed and aperture. So I would tend to not worry about the body's complexity (that was my worry, and it was unfounded). Also for either the K200 or K20 there are a couple of excellent books that are inexpensive that help you very much - and supplement the manual.

My question is where does your interest lie? Is it general photography, or something that would take some specialty lenses (wide angle and/or telephoto). If it lies with wide angle or telephoto, you might want to consider the K200 and use the difference in price toward lenses (although the price difference is getting pretty small - and it may not matter). If its general photography, then the K20 kit is a great package. The kit lens package is very good, and will go a long way before you may feel the need to supplement them with something else.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:51 PM   #5

wow,
i love these stories. someone going in green and not knowing and actually see the light..pentax has always been on the bottom but the one to introduce many things..
i was asking myself back in the latter 'S.. i wanted a pro or hi end manual camera and i almost bought a nikon f2..
we didn't have the INTERNET then so had to go on what people were saying and what the magazines offered. it took a couple of months but i finally bought the pentax MX.. WOW!!! what a camera.. and all i wanted at less than 1/2 the price..
the MX practically made history for it's size.. now it's the k20d or the k7..
so now that you've decided on a maker and you're looking at models. my advice is to get the k20d.. they're so cheap now it would not take me more than a second to decide on the k20..
yes it will be tough (hell, i just bought mine a week or to ago) but once you use it and understand it you'll be set for years... hey?? there's always these folks here to ask..

Last edited by robar; Jun 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 1:56 PM   #6

i forgot about lenses.. just starting out i'd say get the 18-250..
heavier but is about all you'll need
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:16 PM   #7

In terms of bang for your buck, the K20 wins hands down right now over the K200. However, its a heavy camera and some people will struggle with it because of that. The K200 is a very nice camera and simpler to use (though still offers all sorts of controls if you want to use them, they are in menus rather than levers and knobs on the camera body) and lighter. It will feel better for some people.

The extra mp with the K20 comes in handy if you crop a lot, but others won't want the extra file size.

I'm one of those who sold a K10 when the K20 came out and kept the small, lightweight K100. I'll have a tough time if I get the K-7, trying to decide whether to sell the K100 or the K20. I really love both cameras.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 4:32 PM   #8

Hi, Thanks a lot. Following your advices, I ordered my K20D (on Walmart). Looking forward to testing it. Landscape and portrait are the domains I am interested in for now. As you were saying this lens kit should be more than ok for me to begin with. Will see next year (saving some $$$) which type of prime I will invest.
This forum and its members are really awesome and I am sure I will learn a lot with you all...
fthiaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:08 PM   #9

oh dear,
we've created another pentax monster!!!
you have a name??
you can't go wrong here.. there's thousands of years experience here and none of them could care less about your experience..

AH!!!
here's the best advice you'll ever get.. the only dumb, stupid question you ask is
THE ONE YOU DIDN'T ASK
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:26 PM   #10

we await your first impressions