Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:15 PM   #1

Default Test shots-K2000 with 50-200mm

So I bought the K2000 about a month ago and have only got to use it twice! I was getting antsy so I tried out the 50-200 mm lens today. I'm still getting used to it... plus shooting insects is a fun challenge! Some weren't completely in focus but I think they came out alright. Please feel free to comment and offer any suggestions on how to better focus on macro shots. Enjoy!
Attached Images

Last edited by maverick96; Jun 21, 2009 at 6:08 PM.
maverick96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:26 PM   #2

they seem a little overexposed to me but it may be the older LCD panel i'm using..
really need to get my CRT in here..
what lens??
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:40 PM   #3

You're right. Its my laptop. I have a powersaver thing on my Toshiba and I didn't realize it wasn't plugged in all the way. I had the av up some because I was afraid of the weather outside today underexposing it. Will fix that and repost.

Its the 50-200 mm that comes with the package Pentax K2000.

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2009, 6:09 PM   #4

Ok. I changed the photos in the original post. Thanks for the catch!
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:46 PM   #5

Hey Maveric,
Good to see ya back. with the scorcher we had today, I'm surprised you did that good!
the perspiration dripping on my camera has a tendency to hamper my summertime photos. you'll find the DOF in macro shots rather frustrating, try focusing on the eyes. the dragonfly is a good example of that. Looks like you were focused more on the back. the last White Peacock butterfly is a nice shot, just a little soft.
Keep up the good work.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 10:05 PM   #6

They are pretty good for the 50-200. It's no macro lens so unless you add something to it, your minimum focus distance is fairly far out. That was the first thing that I noticed when I got mine, and then put a true macro lens much higher on my list of priorities. One of them looks a bit soft, like there might be a bit of camera shake. I've found my macros are better if I either use a flash or a tripod, to keep my shutter speeds higher or my camera steadier. Macro can be very frustrating!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:03 AM   #7

Thanks guys for the feedback. GW, I was sweating up a storm man! I have to say that the shake reduction is a blessing b/c I don't have real steady hand sometimes. So I'm sure this has alot to do with the focus. I was pretty far out for alot of the shots too so these have been cropped some. Macros are challenging but cool. I'll have to look into getting a real macro lens soon.

BTW, I went to Ritz Camera in Orlando yesterday and was told that they will no longer carry any Pentax brand items. I was kinda bummed about that!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
BTW, I went to Ritz Camera in Orlando yesterday and was told that they will no longer carry any Pentax brand items. I was kinda bummed about that!
That may be a result of Hoya's internet centered sales policy for Pentax dslrs, withdrawing them from stores. I doubt anything will change their mind, but if you are the protesting sort, maybe a letter writing campaign to Ned Bunnell (Pentax USA President) might give someone second thoughts. Here is his personal blog (worth looking at anyway): http://nedbunnell.blogspot.com/

Last edited by penolta; Jun 22, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:30 PM   #9

Penolta - thanks for the suggestion. I had used Pentax's website to send an email asking where I could actually SEE a couple of their lenses (i.e., DA*200), wondering if a rep was going to be in SoCal or Vegas any time soon, and never heard back (probably hit the wrong department, they might not have an answer, or my ISP spam catcher caught it and I didn't spot it when going through the emails). I'll try Ned next, he's always seemed like a really good guy and his blog is always interesting. But if the "home office" isn't convinced, there's not much he can do about it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:10 PM   #10

Thanks for the info on Ritz. Anyone know if this would be a good deal on a macro/telephoto lens? The reviews seem good. Thanks!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...m.html#reviews