Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:31 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Photo Critique at the Smithsonian (Wash. DC)

Returned from my travels to Washington DC and NY...got lots of pictures to sort through before posting some here.

I captured this image of a photo on display at the Smithsonian's (American History Museum) special exhibit on the 2009 Inauguration. I tried to capture the image square (but wasn't that successful) in order to show what I thought was a dissapointing attribute...especially with it chosen to be displayed at the Smithsonian.
Disregard if you will the off-centerd capture by me as well as the reflection of the lights on the glass and tell me if you see what I see . . .

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:25 PM   #2

the photo isnt level ?
the one framed, not yours

this is one of the places i missed when i ws over there 9 months ago(ish)
but i loved the natural history museum
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:36 PM   #3

Well... I see several things I find distracting but, I'm not sure if it was in the original photo of the President or reflections in the glass when you took your photo of it but, it looks like the reflection of the photographer and the silhouette of at least two others. Not to mention the podium not being level.
over all I'd say its a pretty poor photo.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:31 PM   #4

He shaved his beard!! Oh wait.. that’s the other savior, never mind

I’m not seeing whatever bothers you
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:46 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

[QUOTE=Gumnut;979326]the photo isnt level ?

Correct indeed Gumnut! Not sure if the original photograph was not horizontal or if it was simply mounted askew in the matt & frame. Either way, I was wondering how the Smithsonian could have missed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
Well... I see several things I find distracting but, I'm not sure if it was in the original photo of the President or reflections in the glass when you took your photo of it but, it looks like the reflection of the photographer and the silhouette of at least two others. Not to mention the podium not being level.
over all I'd say its a pretty poor photo.
GW: The lights and the reflection of the photographer (me) are my poor attempt to photograph the photograph. But the podium not being level was the big miss. As I said above, I thought the Smithsonian would have caught this issue before displaying the photograph!

Aah, the curse of being a photo enthusiast...can't just appreciate the significance of the image, but also have this compelling need to critique technical aspects of art! In the meant time, Gold Stars to you both
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:14 PM   #6

crooked horizons seem to be trendy
i just printed a job with heaps of photos that have crooked horizons or fountains
and not just a little crooked but heaps crooked
art i guess
sigh
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:25 PM   #7

[QUOTE=jelpee;979443]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumnut View Post
the photo isnt level ?

Correct indeed Gumnut! Not sure if the original photograph was not horizontal or if it was simply mounted askew in the matt & frame. Either way, I was wondering how the Smithsonian could have missed it

GW: The lights and the reflection of the photographer (me) are my poor attempt to photograph the photograph. But the podium not being level was the big miss. As I said above, I thought the Smithsonian would have caught this issue before displaying the photograph!

Aah, the curse of being a photo enthusiast...can't just appreciate the significance of the image, but also have this compelling need to critique technical aspects of art! In the meant time, Gold Stars to you both

Well Photographing a photo covered in glass isn't the easiest thing to shoot!

... The curse of being a photo enthusiast... yeah, its funny how that works, having been in the printing business for they past 20 years, I notice things (in print) that nobody else would.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:42 PM   #8

glass has to be off the side or pressed onto the glass.. that's how i do well at zoo..
of course that's for macros most of the time.. same at the aquarium
robar is offline   Reply With Quote