Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1

Default Which LCD Monitor?

After being really happy with my ASUS laptop with its high res screen, for some reason I lashed out and bought a DELL 2408WFP screen. Its a 24inch (about 13"x 20") and quite stunning on inital look. The screen can be rotated in most directions including into "Pictorial" mode (why I'm not sure but it makes plugging cables in very easy). I'm amazed how sharp the big raw files taken with the K20D are when they fill the whole screen. I bought this screen after reading a review on how good the colours were with a bit of adjustment. Initial impression is good.

PS Apart from my effort to help stimulate the global economy, my laptop has an intermittent problem and will no doubt dissappear into the local ASUS service centre for an indefinite period. Hence this new screen is just the first part of the stimulus package!

Anyone else use this model of monitor? What colour settings are they using? I have just set this one to sRGB for now.
Cheers
bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:01 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new acquisition BB2!
I don't use that one but, I've heard good things about it.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 3:28 PM   #3

i've asked on a different forum for their opinion on a flat screen for editing below $300 and was told ''it ain't going to happen''.
i've posted here a couple of images and need to about them.
thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by robar; Jun 25, 2009 at 11:44 AM.
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:14 PM   #4

At work I've been using two workstations using 30" Dell monitors, they are a year old now. There are differences between the two set-ups, don't know why. One station has better monitors than the other. I can't help you with the settings, our IS department set them up.

At home I use a 24" Apple Cinema LED display attached to my 15" MacBook Pro. Now that's a lovely monitor.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:33 PM   #5

Hi Harriet, I noticed some large Apple monitors on display in Dick Smiths (Tandy). Yes impressive looking.My Dell 2408 is a PVA type screen. Twice as expensive compared to the standard TFT screens. Much cheaper than some of the high end screens going for thousands of dollars! My May monthly contest photo of the communication tower at Mt Wellington Hobart looks fabulous filling all of the Dell screen. Gives me greater respect for the Sigma EX 10-20 lens.
Cheers
bb2
Old Jun 25, 2009, 4:40 PM   #6

I love my Dell 2408WFP, I searched the net and found a lot of people used hardware calibration for the 2408 and they came up with the same settings nearly all the time, which they generously shared on the net. I use these settings and find they work well.

Brightness 20
Red 92
Green 90
Blue 98

Rodney.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:24 AM   #7

Hi Rodney. Thanks for that info. Tried those settings on my screen but too saturated. Got the following settings from a very detailed online review :
Brightness 8
Contrast 50%
Red 96
Green 92
Blue 100
Tried these then adjusted red to 92
Happy with this combination for now. Of course every screen may be different. The SRGB setting is a little flat compared with the above.
Cheer
bb2