Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:51 AM   #1

Default Upgrade from K100d or lens ?

Have the original K100d (not the Super) along with these lenses:
Tamron 18-250
Pentax 50mm/1.4
Tamron 70-300
Pentax 18-50

Use my camera alot and have to deal with the limits of not having the latest and greatest. But I enjoy shooting and the pics I get.

All of these years, I've resisted the "latest & greatest" to avoid buying more than my level of shooting can handle. But with some money saved I am wondering if it's time to upgrade from K100d to the K20d, buy a new lens or save the cash.

Any lens suggestions are welcome. Things I like to shoot range from candids, buildings, piano keys, farmer's market to a margarita glass.

Thanks in advance.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:02 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

You seem to have a decent array of lenses. If I were you, I'd look at upgrading the body to either a K10D or K20D which are both available for unbelievably low prices these days!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:26 PM   #3

Have to agree with jelpee. The prices of the k10d/k20d are just to good to pass.

Ronny
Old Jun 25, 2009, 6:05 PM   #4

Out of curiosity, what "limits of not having the latest and greatest" are you feeling? That would be the biggest question to answer - I could think of two possible areas you might want a new lens for - really wide angle (for your farmers market pictures) or a true macro (though you might not feel a need for this with the Tamron 70-300).

On the other hand, not buying a camera because you think it's beyond your shooting level can be short-sighted. I noticed a big improvement in my pictures when I had ready access to some of the controls that the K20 has on the camera body. I tend to not bother with the K100 since I have to go into menus to change things. So buying a more advanced camera might actually raise your level. And I agree with the others that the cost of a new K20 is really hard to pass up right now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:01 PM   #5

Yep, I agree.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:45 PM   #6

Wow! When I looked at your post it could have been me a few months ago. The original K100, Tamron 70-300, Pentax 18-55 and 50/1.4. And, then, my dream right now - the 18-250. Long story. I'm looking every day.

Anyway, having just upgraded to the K20 at Christmas, I would definitely say go for the camera. I bought the K100 the first day I found it in a store on August 1, 2006. It was a good camera, but I definitely see a big difference with the K20. And, like Harriet said, I love having so many of the options available on the camera, not in the menus. I can never find things in the menu.

So, if you can afford the K20 right now,I'd go for it. I paid $704 body only in December and it's gone done quite a bit since then.

Patty

p.s. Welcome to the boards. I don't remember having seen you around before. You should post some photos.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:39 PM   #7

nhmom:
I mostly lurk...still after all these years. I'll see If I can figure out how to post some of my pics. It's time for me to let camera people give me feedback instead of my friends and family.

mtngal:
You could be right and I fear I may not be worthy of such equipment. I'll get over that

Thanks.

Last edited by cameanee; Jun 25, 2009 at 11:50 PM.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:32 AM   #8

with the price coming down, the k20d would make a great upgrade.. i just did from the DS.. ck buydig.com.
'also ck bestbuy.com'' for a refurb'' for another $120 off
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 6:47 AM   #9

I lurked for a while, too. Used to spend a lot of time in the biweekly challenge. But, since I've discovered this great group, I hardly ever go there.

Besides it would be nice to have another female in the group. Being from California myself (and actually Harriet, too), I use the word "guys" for groups of people. Around here Harriet and I really are "one of the guys". (It's okay real guys. I enjoy your company.)

It's easy to post an image. Just make sure the image is a smaller size. I use the resizer in Windows Explorer (a download from the Power Toys page on windows.com) to set my pictures to medium size (800 pixels on one side). Then, at the bottom of the page under your message there is an attachment option. Browse to your small file and click submit reply.

Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameanee View Post
nhmom:
I mostly lurk...still after all these years. I'll see If I can figure out how to post some of my pics. It's time for me to let camera people give me feedback instead of my friends and family.

mtngal:
You could be right and I fear I may not be worthy of such equipment. I'll get over that

Thanks.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:22 AM   #10

cameanee,

I also still shoot with the K100D. I love the camera but feel I am ready to step up to a new one.

I have had the same thoughts as you regarding an upgrade to the K20 however I have a small hand and do a bit of travel so size and weight are important criteria for me.

I will wait and see what the reviews are on the new K7 when people get their hands on a production camera. If the reports are as good as the first beta users have said, I will more than likely spring for the K7. For me size and feel along with, speed, crop factor and I hope better high ISO are the driving criteria for me to upgrade.

I agree with mtngal that perhaps a wider lens than the 18mm would work for you. I use a 16mm F2.8 Zenitar and love it. It is a low cost manual lens that is as easy to use as any AF lens I have. I never take it off of infinity focus. I set the aperture at f5.6 or f8 and seldom move it. It is surprising the difference between 18mm and 16mm. (I have the 18-250 as well). Any distortion you may get can be easily removed with PT lens or Photoshop.
Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote