Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 26, 2009, 1:45 PM   #11

Thanks, Patty! I was wondering if I should adjust saturation and hue to give the sky a little more color... what do you think? I'm loving visiting DC so far (except for the knuckleheads), but I don't think I could live here - it's much too expensive to live in the better areas.

Yes, you may just have to go without him; you wouldn't feel alone since there are so many people just strolling and roaming about in no hurry. He's seen it all, already, anyway so the shine is not there for him like it is for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmom View Post
Very nice, LadyRo. I really like the one of the Washington Monument.

I've only been to DC once. Hubby used to live there, so never wants to go near the place when we are in the area. Some day I'll have to go without him!

Patty
LadyRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:56 PM   #12

One book you might check out is Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson. It's not as dry as some photography books, and has some practical advice. I learned a number of little, useful things and got some ideas for creative projects from it, even though I was pretty comfortable with the basic technical principles of photography before I read it. Then there's always the public library - while some things have changed with digital, much of photography is the same as its always been.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:02 PM   #13

Thanks! I'm planning on hitting all the national museums and galleries. Also the zoo and aquarium. All are free except the aquarium, which is $7, so I'll be sure to arrive early so I can take my time. I will also be doing street photography. I'm taking it easy today, but there is a Folklife Festival that's being held on the National Mall that I plan to do a photowalk of. That's just in DC! There are so many nearby places that are really interesting. It's definitely worth the trip when you're able to make it. Where do you live now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
More nice pictures! The interior pictures are awesome as is the Washington Monument. I can't decide which I like the best, probably the elephant, but really all of them are nice. I'm also envious that you have such an interesting place to go for pictures! I really want to visit D.C. - perhaps when we retire we'll manage to get to that side of the country again.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:02 PM   #14

Thanks, Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
A really nice series.....all are well composed and lit. Good work.

Paul
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:05 PM   #15

Thanks for the book suggestion. I will definitely be hitting up the library, soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
One book you might check out is Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson. It's not as dry as some photography books, and has some practical advice. I learned a number of little, useful things and got some ideas for creative projects from it, even though I was pretty comfortable with the basic technical principles of photography before I read it. Then there's always the public library - while some things have changed with digital, much of photography is the same as its always been.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 3:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
All are free except the aquarium, which is $7, so I'll be sure to arrive early so I can take my time.
You might want to invest in a circular polarizing filter for the aquarium, so as to eliminate the reflection on the glass, and be able to get a better image. It works well on the surface of the water, so it should work well on glass reflections. I am sure that if this dosen't work, others will post... Also, with the filter, it will reduce the light getting through the lens, so you might have to go up in ISO speed, or reduce the shutter speed.

You do not have to break the bank on the filter, as there are some from Hoya, Tiffen, etc. that should work well, plus the kit lenses are sizes that are the most common.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 6:34 PM   #17

I'm in Southern California, the other side of the country.

For your aquarium, you can try a polarizer, it would be great outdoors. But if it's indoors, like the Monterey Aquarium, you might lose too much light with one. I try to get as close to the glass as I can, which can also be a problem for focus if you are trying to take small jelly fish. Not a problem if the tank is big. I think I used a macro lens quite a bit when I was last at the one in Monterey. Lighting there is very dark, AF sometimes struggled, I had a relatively low keeper ratio, but I sure had fun and the ones that came out were very cool.

- Harriet
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:56 PM   #18

Quote:
LOL, thanks so much Goldwinger! But, it's true... this is my first DSLR, and only my second real camera. I had a Lumix FZ18 for a year that I only used in IntelligentAuto mode, and I sold it and put the proceeds toward the K10D. Along with these pics, some of the pics I took with the FZ18 are on my blog (look for Photos in the menu) and Flickr account. I want to take photography classes, but I think for cost's sake I might just buy some recommended books, instead.

I really don't know well the technical stuff when it comes to photography: apertures, ISO, bright lenses, etc... I just learned what a prime lens was, and the difference between a zoom and telephoto lens, within the last week! My fundamentals are still rudimentary, so I make adjustments within my limited knowledge, say a little silent prayer, and shoot away.

Well, you surprised me Lady Ro!
I thought you were going to confess to being a long time film photographer. I'm a long way from being where I'd like to be but, I'm learning. I just got my first DSLR about a year and a half ago.
I'd have to say you have a natural eye for composition and that goes a long way in learning this biz. I'm kind of like the guy that said, "I don't know a thing about art but, I know what I like... " Now if I can just learn how to get that to come through the lens!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:27 AM   #19

All very good, well done.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:15 AM   #20

It might be difficult as you have the blown out spots in the clouds. But, it would be worth a try.

Regarding photography books, I get a lot of mine from www.hamiltonbooks.com There's quite an assortment and reasonable prices. And, they are always quick to ship and postage is great. I've even ordered a few that said "shop worn" that were perfectly fine in my opinion. It's where I got my copy of Understanding Exposure. Harriet's right. It's a great book.

Patty

Quote:
Thanks, Patty! I was wondering if I should adjust saturation and hue to give the sky a little more color... what do you think? I'm loving visiting DC so far (except for the knuckleheads), but I don't think I could live here - it's much too expensive to live in the better areas.

Yes, you may just have to go without him; you wouldn't feel alone since there are so many people just strolling and roaming about in no hurry. He's seen it all, already, anyway so the shine is not there for him like it is for us.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote