Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:01 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default More from washington dc (5 pix)

As promised, here is part 2 from my travels.
Thought we'd drop in on BO--so I tried the front door (DA*16-50 mm)

And then tried the back door (Sigma 70-300 mm APO DG)...they told me that I just missed him

The place most Americans detest on April 15th each year (Internal Revenue Service Buildiing)

The Treasury Department located adjacent to the White House: DA 10-17 mm FE

And finally the Night at the Museum: DA 10-17 mm FE
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:35 PM   #2

Very nice pictures, I like the last one with the fisheye effect, and the first one, very classic. Looks like you had a great trip.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:37 PM   #3

Some very good photos...I really like the two fisheye shots.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:33 AM   #4

Nice series, that last one is fantastic.

Rodney

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:00 AM   #5

I really like the last two. Nice job on all.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:25 PM   #6

Thanks Harriet, Paul, Rodney & Patty!

Harriet: yes, it was a short but enjoyable visit. It was a bit eerie hearing about the Metro accident since the weekend before it, the family and I rode Red Line of the Metro from the west suburbs into DC. The accident occurred on the Red Line on the eastern Maryland suburbs.

Re. the FE, it sure is a fun lens. I really want to get a DA 12-25 f/4 however and I've been contemplating lately about selling the FE and using the proceeds towards a DA 12-20mm. However, when I am able to capture images like #4 & 5, I begin to have second thoughts. Now, to have both...that would be nice
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:35 PM   #7

I like the picture from White house. What was the focal of the back door picture. Are you using a tripod to get this result ? As you guess, I am beginner..
fthiaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fthiaw View Post
I like the picture from White house. What was the focal of the back door picture. Are you using a tripod to get this result ? As you guess, I am beginner..
Hi fthiaw: you sound like you are new to this forum--welcome to the friendliest and most enthusiastic bunch at Steve's! It's a great place to hang out, share and most off all learn from each other!

For the picture of the back door of the W/H, the focal length was 123mm (according to the embedded Exif data) which now makes me wonder if I used my DA*50-135mm instead of the Sigma 70-300...can't quite remember. No tripod--hand held with Shake Reduction turned on. You cannot get close to the rear of the W/H at all...you are about a block away behind security patrols. The front door however, is accessible to pedestrians right up to the front gate.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:15 PM   #9

Great job with these photos. Very nicely done indeed.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:27 PM   #10

Wonderful pictures and a great job. I think a couple of days ago ladyro posted a picture of the elephant from down on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Re. the FE, it sure is a fun lens. I really want to get a DA 12-25 f/4 however and I've been contemplating lately about selling the FE and using the proceeds towards a DA 12-20mm. However, when I am able to capture images like #4 & 5, I begin to have second thoughts. Now, to have both...that would be nice
The FE is a fun lens, and it took me 3 years, but I have acquired both lenses and each have their particular uses. The FE can do a full 180 degrees while the 12-24 tops out at 100 degrees. Last summer, I took a shot with the FE which is my favorite (2 ships at sea) which needed the full 180, and could not be stitched since they were both moving. The 12-24 would not have been wide enough. In San Diego a couple of months ago, I actually found that the 12-24 was a bit too wide and reverted to the 16-45 quite a bit - and I like to do landscape nor night scape shots. So I am finding that really all three lenses come in very handy and they each have their own situations that they need to be used in. There are times that stitching works really well, and there are times when there is something just so large, that to capture it with the FE in and of itself makes a statement.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote