Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:36 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Aircraft Arrivals

Snapped these at the airport yesterday morning. As you can tell, I've given up on panning . K10D + Sigma 70-300 mm APO DG

A privately owned Boeing Business Jet

A United Express CRJ 600

My ride to the islands. . .
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2009, 4:20 PM   #2

HI Jay

Great Shots!!
Dont Give up!! Keep trying With the panning Shots. It is frustrating to say the least. I cannot tell you how many shots at the track Go in the recycle bin. But While I am FAR from Great at it. After many hours at the race track, I feel I finally have the hang of It.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:01 PM   #3

ditto
hope you were not using a bushhawk
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
HI Jay

Great Shots!!
Dont Give up!! Keep trying With the panning Shots. It is frustrating to say the least. I cannot tell you how many shots at the track Go in the recycle bin. But While I am FAR from Great at it. After many hours at the race track, I feel I finally have the hang of It.

Phil
Thanks Phil. My luck with panning was just not wokring out (at least with airplanes). With these aircraft landing (notice the thrust reversers deployed on the engines), they were slower moving and resulted in sharper images. OK now you've thrown me the challenge...I need to do some experimenting on what shutter speed would work best for airplane shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
ditto
hope you were not using a bushhawk
Thanks for the comments as well Roy. Re. using a Bush Hawk, if I'd have done that, I'd be writing this post from Gitmo! Actually, my Sigma 70-300 with the attached hood makes me look more of a serious photographer than a suspicious character. Besides, I usually strike up a conversation with other spotters who come over to check out my gear.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:23 PM   #5

hopefully they don't run off from the PENTAX.
there's lot of people out there that JUST DON'T GET IT..
as little as pentax promotes it's product it's mainly you and me to see that the word gets out..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:27 PM   #6
Super Moderator

What was happening with the panning shots that was not working for you? With the shutter speed and aperture settings you have here there shouldn't be major problems in that respect.

These are lovely exposed shots which can be hard in the whites sometimes so good job!!

Last edited by Mark1616; Jun 29, 2009 at 5:31 PM.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
What was happening with the panning shots that was not working for you? With the shutter speed and aperture settings you have here there shouldn't be major problems in that respect.

These are lovely exposed shots which can be hard in the whites sometimes so good job!!
Thanks for your comments on the exposures Mark. Being white subjects, I thought I would have to use EV on the + side, but found that the highlights were getting blown out. These are shot at either EV0, -0.3 and -0.7 with some tonal adjustments in PSE5. My goal is to get some accepted on www.airliners.net, but I think I need a sharper lens than my $200 Sigma (even at f/8).

Re. panning, I just have not been able to get a sharp image of the aircraft relative to the blur of the background. My attempts at panning were at 1/20th-1/40th Tv vs. the 1/1000th Tv for these images. I realize it takes a disciplined technique (i.e. following the object before the target area and after), and patience, and lot's of practice. I've gotten some "OK" images but nothing I'd hang on a wall! If you have a magic pills that would help, send some my way!!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 3:25 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Panning is a difficult one in certain situations is very difficult. Working at those sort of shutter speeds when you are likely working at 300mm is going to be very hard. Generally a smaller subject closer is going to be easier to get the motion blur as you have a better angular rotation which depending on the distance of the background really helps with blur. When you are a long way away your pan has to be quite slow which is why you have to get the really low shutter speeds for the background to blur but when you have such a long lens then camera shake is really noticeable if you are not perfect. I would suggest a monopod for panning shots if you don't already use one, this can really help with stability.

Don't go quite so extreme, go for about 1/160s as when you have the plane near or on the ground you should still get some blur and concentrate on keeping one part of the aircraft in the same place of the frame all the time so it might be focus on a wheel, engine, anything that you can really concentrate on. The closer the background the easier it is to blur it. If you are shooting where you only have trees or something a long way in the distance than the blur is not going to be that noticeable.

Last edited by Mark1616; Jun 30, 2009 at 3:30 AM.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote