Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:27 PM   #1

Default Photo "class"

As part of my regular duties, I had the chance to teach a short Nature Photography "class" - out in the field with some children and their parents. Here are some shots of the "junior photographers" (only including those shots where kids are not identifiable...)
Attached Images

mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:29 PM   #2

And here are some of the subjects I had them practicing on: (my photos of their subjects...)
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2009, 7:31 PM   #3

I'm scheduled to teach a longer "class" in a few weeks to a more adult audience. Would be delighted to receive any suggestions as to which topics, subjects, etc. you think should be covered. These will be interested amateurs - probably with more nature experience than photo experience. Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:13 PM   #4

Cute kids, but why the anonymity? You'd think their parents would be thrilled to have their pictures posted - or did you need model releases?

I like the toadstools, but that head-on dragonfly is a killer!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:42 PM   #5

Yeah, I really like the head shot!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:49 PM   #6

i think you're right about how you posted the kids.. mainly for the future.. it's a shame but nowadays you can't be too careful..
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 3:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Would be delighted to receive any suggestions as to which topics, subjects, etc. you think should be covered. These will be interested amateurs - probably with more nature experience than photo experience. Thanks!
Some suggestions:
1) changing angle and direction of a shot - the affects to composition and lighting. The idea being that by simply switching the side you take the shot from can dramatically change the results. Get them thinking about lighting (front, side, back) as well as background and composition. Again, they shouldn't change nature but they can change THEIR position in nature when they take the shot.

2) discuss situations where 'auto' might yield bad results. Nothing very complicated. Especially situations where adding flash is desirable

3) if you have any rapids areas - great opportunity to illustrate shutter speeds and the difference they have on a shot.

4) Encourage macro shots of stationary subjects. Trying to get the whole class to capture a dragon fly might not be possible. But people I think, usually take photos of the big stuff and forget the beauty of the little stuff. Most digicams have some sort of macro mode on them.

Just 4 thoughts that popped into my head that aren't too advanced and aren't too technical.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:10 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole View Post
Here are some shots of the "junior photographers" (only including those shots where kids are not identifiable...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robar View Post
i think you're right about how you posted the kids.. mainly for the future.. it's a shame but nowadays you can't be too careful..
Unless the parents have requested that photos of their children are not posted or something then I think we are just adding to the paranoia. Yes there is a group of very sick and messed up people out there, however I don't think Steve's is the place the would be going to find photos.

The last shot is very cool but they are all good for youngsters looking to learn.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2009, 5:48 PM   #9

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I just assumed that it would be best not to post recognizable photos of children without their parents' permission. Rather be too cautious than not enough...

JohnG - a fine list of suggestions. Thanks! The class I'm teaching next week involves both an indoor slide show to illustrate settings, composition, lighting, etc., and then an extended time "out in the field" to try out and further elucidate the "classroom" teaching. Will be sure to cover all your suggestions in both. Thanks!